Jaime's Left Hand

Nathan Stark

It's an open secret in universe that Jaime cannot fight without his swordhand. To that end, he has been practicing with his left, with predictable results. He has submitted to daily thrashings in order to fight left handed. This seems like it must lead somewhere, if it keeps being brought up. My tinfoil prediction is that Jaime will opt for a trial by combat in order to decide his innocence with the BWB. He will put all on the line to see if he can fight left handed when it counts. What say you all?

It is interesting to wonder what will happen with Jaime when he reaches Stoneheart.

Will she allow him trial by combat? 

Would he be allowed a champion? Would he even want one if offered?

Who would he fight? Would SH make Brienne her champion?

Will he be allowed to use Oathkeeper? Would his opponent? 

I think we may be underestimating Jamie. We assume that he's bad because he gets thrashed by Ilyn Payne, but maybe Payne is just a better fighter than people think. I mean all he does is attend to his sword, and he is a very good executioner. Jamie is also an amazing fighter, so bad for him may still be good on average. Who can say for certain how strong he is at the moment. 

Having said that, I love the Idea of Brienne being his champion.

Maybe its sorta like he fought for himself with his right hand and, and he'll fight for other people with his left. So the training with his left hand is like a metaphor? I think there's a better word for it..but:dunno: for him becoming honorable and selfless

On 3/25/2021 at 6:02 PM, Orion2 said:

Maybe its sorta like he fought for himself with his right hand and, and he'll fight for other people with his left. So the training with his left hand is like a metaphor? I think there's a better word for it..but:dunno: for him becoming honorable and selfless

I like that idea. It totally fits with Jaime. Before, with his right hand, he was Kingslayer. Now maybe he can be Goldenhand for true .

On 3/25/2021 at 3:11 PM, Nathan Stark said:

It's an open secret in universe that Jaime cannot fight without his swordhand. To that end, he has been practicing with his left, with predictable results. He has submitted to daily thrashings in order to fight left handed. This seems like it must lead somewhere, if it keeps being brought up. My tinfoil prediction is that Jaime will opt for a trial by combat in order to decide his innocence with the BWB. He will put all on the line to see if he can fight left handed when it counts. What say you all?

Interesting to think about.  My impression of where things left off is that Jaime may now be a middling fighter with his left hand but he certainly would not yet be a match for "good" fighters.  Also, just speculating (of course), but I don't think Brienne is headed right back to Stoneheart with Jaime.  I think she may have something else in mind.  Just spitballin', but what if Brienne and Jaime showed up with one of the surviving Stark children to deliver to Stoneheart (most likely Sansa, obviously)?  The question in that case would be whether it buys enough good will from Stoneheart and the BWB or if the "changed" Stoneheart would still want Jaime executed for other things?  If this happened, I would strongly suspect the latter.

It would be a great indication of just how different Lady Stoneheart may be from Catelyn if Martin wants to demonstrate that some more.  Also, if Jaime does end up facing execution by Stoneheart he would almost assuredly choose trial by combat and could, of course, champion himself..  But he could also choose a champion.  If this happened, what if both Stoneheart and Jaime want Brienne to be their champion?  I honestly don't know how that would turn out but she may have to choose (lookin' at you, Aemon!) and that would be delicious!;) 

There are many other ways this could play out, of course, but this is getting pretty far beyond the OP so I'll stop here.  However, I do think it likely that whatever Martin does with this it will involve Brienne having to "choose".  I think one of things Martin has been doing with Brienne's arc has been to sort of disabuse her of her idealistic notions of honor, knighthood, etc.  Come to think of it, I believe many characters are on a bit of a similar "idealism to realism" journey.       

eventually he should become at least competent at everything with his left hand as long as he keeps at it. Isnt he already writing left handed?  that sounds just as awkward as swordfighting.

Or maybe he just attaches the pen to the gold hand??  He should attach a weapon to his right arm to still have option of that right arm strength. Like a mace or something.

After the dance of dragons in which Aegon dies Dany will get tossed off the throne by popular revolt. What happens then is a political tussle for the crown, boiling down to Cersei and Sansa, culminating in Cersei accusing Sansa of murdering Joff and Sansa choosing trial by Seven to prove her innocence.

And so line up the champions, for Cersei Robert Strong and five or six (ex?) KG muppets. On Sansa's side, among other obvious and not yet so obvious champions will be Jaime. Taking Sansa's side over Cersei's, younger queen, all you hold dear.

Jaime who swore a vow to return Lady Sansa to her mother unharmed. Who considers Sansa Stark his last chance of honour. Who is placed with Sandor around Arya and Sansa being loomed over by the mountain in Bran's vision.

Jaime says.

That arrow hit too close to the mark. "I learned from the White Bull and Barristan the Bold," Jaime snapped. "I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking with a piss with the right.

Before Barristan said.

Sansa heard someone gasp. Ser Boros and Ser Meryn moved forward to confront him, but Ser Barristan froze them in place with a look that dripped contempt. "Have no fear, sers, your king is safe … no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts cheese. If you would serve under the Kingslayer, not a one of you is fit to wear the white." He flung his sword at the foot of the Iron Throne. "Here, boy. Melt it down and add it to the others, if you like. It will do you more good than the swords in the hands of these five. Perhaps Lord Stannis will chance to sit on it when he takes your throne."

Five KG are going to get slaughtered, and probably by Jaime's left hand.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:58 PM, chrisdaw said:

Five KG are going to get slaughtered, and probably by Jaime's left hand.

Maybe ordered by his left hand (sign here please), but If Loras, Balon, or Ser Strong are still alive by then... Maybe the rest though, yeah, maybe those unworthy will get got

7 hours ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

Maybe ordered by his left hand (sign here please), but If Loras, Balon, or Ser Strong are still alive by then... Maybe the rest though, yeah, maybe those unworthy will get got

It will be part of the point that Cersei's champions will be Robert Strong (an enslaved demon) and unskilled cravens, while the best and bravest in the realm will decide to risk their life for Sansa. A reflection of their character.

Part of the reason Jaime will run through them is because they will be bad, and Cersei's habit of handing out offices to unfit sycophants will catch up with her.

Archived