A topic for Taskmaster, the funniest show on television.

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The episode where they were supposed to poke a surprising object out of a hole in the ground as a case in point:

Him letting Noel do what he did in the sandwich clip I put in the first post knowing full well what the second part of the task was is another.

Not a man afraid of humiliation for the sake of entertainment.

This has been my favorite show for a couple years now.  However, I've been disappointed by the current season because of the contestants.  Jamali Maddix just doesn't give a shit, and Sarah Kendall and Charlotte Ritchie are not very humorous in this format.  As such, I have been rewatching season 7, which is infamous for James Acaster's rant against his team task teammate Rhod Gilbert, as @Plessiez already mentioned, and Phil Wang's moose-knuckled homage to Bruce Lee.

Personally, my favorite task is the team task from season 5 (Bob Mortimer, Aisling Bea, Nish Kumar, etc) where they perform a song for and about a stranger named Rosalind.  One team wrote her a love song.  The other team trolled her and called her a fucking nightmare.

I was again slightly disappointed with the new episode.  It was fun and amusing.  Yet, it lacked one of those LOL moments that this show usually gives me.

Also, the tasks were interesting and creative.  Alex Horne really is the low-key hero of this series.

For me, the best bit of the episode was when Lee Mack destoryed the task before he even realized it was a task.

Also, come on.  That banana obviously goes in the microwave and then the blender.

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

• 2 weeks later...

The newest episode was probably the best of the series.  The tasks were a little livelier and more interesting this time.  Also, it seems that Sarah Kendall has built up an insurmountable lead and will be the series winner.

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

• 3 weeks later...

All 5 challenges in this week's episode had some fun moments.  For me, it overtakes the Jamali-stamps-on-everything episode as best of the season.

Also, I was really annoyed that the episode's title wasn't "Backup Rainbow".

This latest episode's prize challenge has to be the best prize challenge in TM history.  The photocopier challenge provided some fun moments as well.  The rest of the episode, including the reveal of the overall series winner, was rather meh.

Also, the series 12 contestents were announced.  I was happy to see that the ladies outnumber the men this time.  But, I was a little disappointed that Alan Davies will be there.  I don't know much about him, but he seems like kind of a twat.

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

Sarah Kendall has to be one of the most Ninja winners. I barely remember her doing anything but she kept racking up the points. Mike could’ve won if he hadn’t screwed up a couple of tasks in this episode. Mind you, I think the punk hair, while an excellent gag, is obviously not as intimidating as a bat with a nail in it. Those kind of grand gestures always get rewarded but you could see Greg pushing back at some point.

Series overall I thought Charlotte was consistently underscored and Jamali consistently overscored, maybe that’s just a little of my white middle class misogyny coming through. I did enjoy Jamali’s attitude in general. I thought Wozniak was the standout performer though.

Alex Horne gave a few details of the new series in Ed Gamble’s Taskmaster podcast. Alan Davies evidently thinks it’s a load of nonsense for the first few tasks he’s doing. And VCM apparently has a very clinical approach of a kind we haven’t seen before.

6 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Also, the series 12 contestents were announced.  I was happy to see that the ladies outnumber the men this time.  But, I was a little disappointed that Alan Davies will be there.  I don't know much about him, but he seems like kind of a twat.

How did you get that impression? I always found him to be one of the most inoffensive mainstream comedians. I have vague memories of seeing his early standup as a child in the 90s and I think that was a bit edgier, though. I’m interested in how Desiree Burch will do, I’ve heard her on a few more serious podcasts and she’s very smart.

I tried a couple episodes of QI, and Davies just struck me as someone who thought he was 10 times funnier than he really is.  Also, I listened to 3~4 episodes of his podcast about Arsenal.  For me, they weren't funny or insightful, and back then the timing between episodes was unpredictable.

After reading the responses by @polishgenius and @john, maybe it's time to re-evaluate my opinion.  I'll try a couple more episodes of QI later in the week.  

• 3 months later...

I'm starting to come around to the idea that the current (second) season of Taskmaster NZ is, in fact, the best season of Taskmaster in any iteration.  Jeremy Wells is no Greg Davies, but in almost every other respect I think this season has been as good as (or better than) any season of the original show.  (I think it actually helps quite a bit that I have no idea who any of the contestants are other than 'people on Taskmaster NZ').

And belatedly joining the Alan Davies discussion: I think it's worth noting that on QI Davies is very much playing a role (of "bumbling idiot who says the obvious wrong answers a lot"), which isn't necessarily how he's going to approach Taskmaster.  (I'm old enough that my subconcious insists that Alan Davies is really Jonathan Creek, eccentric genius and occasional detective, which makes watching him on QI slightly confusing for me.)

@Plessiez I agree with you in that Taskmaster NZ S2 is one of the best.  Even though it has my new favorite challenge, the one where the caravan was turned into an escape room, I personally think TM UK S9 (with David Baddiel, Ed Gamble, Jo Brand, Katy Wix, and Rose Matafeo) is the best. 

Also, I will try a couple episodes of Jonathan Creek.  I want to like Alan Davies, but his sense of humor just isn't for me. 

ETA:  Thinking about the best season also got me thinking about the worst season, which is clearly TM USA (only one season was made, thankfully). The Taskmaster, Reggie Watts, was too nice and didn't have any chemistry with the assistant, Alex Horne.  Also, most of the challenges were borrowed from the UK series, so the solutions felt somewhat unorginal as well.

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite enjoying the current series two episodes in, at least in part because nobody seems to be either taking things too seriously or obviously regretting their agent talk them into taking part (and I think most series have usually got one or two people in either group).  Would be pretty happy to see any of the contestants win (and, perhaps apart from VCM, I don't think I'd be surprised by any of them winning at this stage).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Season 12 is now over.  It was a big improvement upon s11.  I liked all 5 contestants, even Alan Davies.  It was nice that the overall score seemed fairly close throughout the series.

For some reason, every time I see Morgana Robinson I want her to play Catwoman in a Batman movie.

Also, I really hope that they get rid of the team tasks.  They just don't work very well during covid times.

The series highlights for me were: the write a new jingle task, VCM's Grumpy Esquire, the pop the water balloon challenge, Guz using a croquet mallet to spread jam....

I really enjoyed this series. I think it was my favourite in quite a long time, maybe even since series 7.  And definitely the best of the Channel 4 era.

A few of the tasks didn't quite work, I thought (the studio tasks especially: the very final one was brilliant, but a couple of the others were kind of a mess), but the contestants were all great, which really is the key for me.

Has it been announced whether the second Champion of Champions special is airing this year?