Is anyone hoping that Lady Stoneheart will kill Jaime?

Canon Claude

I know it’s probably not going to happen, since it’s been hunted heavily that he’ll be the one to kill Cersei before the story ends, but is anyone actually hoping that GRRM will subvert the hints and have Jaime executed by Catelyn Stoneheart? It wouldn’t be entirely undeserved, given all that Jaime’s done in the story, but it’s also tragic because he was genuinely trying to be a better man. Still, tragic ends are a common trope for these books, so it would at least be on brand. 

How do you all feel about it?

I mean, I can't say it would be undeserved, since Jaime has done some awful things to Lady Stoneheart's family. She has every reason to kill him, and she has completely good reasons to do it. I love Jaime's internal monologue, and I think the growth he has made is too good to be unadressed. I hope he survives Lady Stoneheart, and continues on his path of redemption.

1 hour ago, Arthur Peres said:

Jaime is not changing, and yes, I would like to see her execute him. She has more reason to do it than anyone else in the series, and would be a pay off to careless words "send Robb Stark my regards" going back to bite him one last time.

I agree with what you said. But I also don't want Jaime to be the Valonqar either. I want it to be Tyrion, which is exactly what Cersei fears. And since she's so horrified and paranoid about Tyrion coming to kill her, that's what I want to come true. Her worst nightmare coming true, plus it gives Tyrion another chance to revenge himself on his family for a lifetime of abuse and ill-treatment. 

41 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I agree with what you said. But I also don't want Jaime to be the Valonqar either. I want it to be Tyrion, which is exactly what Cersei fears. And since she's so horrified and paranoid about Tyrion coming to kill her, that's what I want to come true. Her worst nightmare coming true, plus it gives Tyrion another chance to revenge himself on his family for a lifetime of abuse and ill-treatment. 

Yes, Cersei getting killed by Tyrion would also be nice, after everything she did to him since he was a baby, it would be just the natural path to follow that the monster she raises come to devour her, since Joffrey is no longer a candidate, Tyrion would be the next best option.

11 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Jaime is not changing, and yes, I would like to see her execute him. She has more reason to do it than anyone else in the series, and would be a pay off to careless words "send Robb Stark my regards" going back to bite him one last time.

That doesn't jive with GRRM's writing style, where characters change and grow with the story.

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Not hoping, but there’s no way out of this. He’s screwed. 

Also have a thread on this here.

Prediction: Jaime’s fate

Yeah, saw that thread. Was not convinced. George isn't ending Jaime with so many story threads left hanging.

I sympathize, but doubt it. I don't think the signs actually point there. Don't get me wrong, when he was captured that was the intent. But it would be more likely IMO if Brienne were not there.

Brienne will live, as her destiny is to write Jaime's full, true, neither good nor evil story in the White Book when she becomes LC of the Kings Guard. Ok, even if she never becomes LC of the Kings Guard, she is the guardian of Jaime's honour and of his legacy - something which was made absolutely clear in his fever dream. So the White Book just seems to be the most beautiful conclusion of that thread.

If Jaime requests trial by battle, Brienne will be required to serve as Lady Stoneheart's champion, not Jaime's. Jaime would have to fight for himself, meaning that Brienne would fight Jaime. This seems possible, and was something that was set up previously when they fought in the river before being captured. We know that Jaime is not as good as he was with his left hand, but he has been improving. We also know left-handedness is an advantage when fighting because the opponent is less used to it. Brienne previously fought him when he was weak from being a captive. Now he is weak for other reasons.

A rather good fight has been set up, but one in which neither one of them actually wants to kill the other. So what will they do about that? I would say they are more likely to turn and fight the others together while making their case that this is not justice. Some of the brotherhood, who are clearly split right now, will fight them and die while others will see this as the change they needed.

I am. I dont hate Jamie by any means, but it would be crazy clown time if LSH hung him. I do wonder sometimes if Jamie is another character that we can expect to see die and resurrected. There'd be something kind of full circle about Cat giving the kiss to Jamie that Beric gave her.

17 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I know it’s probably not going to happen, since it’s been hunted heavily that he’ll be the one to kill Cersei before the story ends, but is anyone actually hoping that GRRM will subvert the hints and have Jaime executed by Catelyn Stoneheart?

I'm perfectly willing to see all sorts of bad things happen to Jaime.

Turning away from what I WANT to what I THINK, no, I do not think that Stornheart will kill Jaime.  Or perhaps I should say that Stoneheart has already killed Jaime by making Brienne promise to kill him.  There is no suggestion whatsoever that Brienne is going to take Jaime before Lady Stoneheart.  That is not what she agreed and promised to do.    

Being killed (either by Brienne or by Stoneheart) will not prevent Jaime from fulfilling the Valonquar prophesy, just as it has not prevented Stoneheart from pursuing warped and twisted version of her own goals and mission.

To add to my previous post:

I have always believed that something is up with the sword. Ice was used to kill Ned. I think Oathkeeper, which was once a part of Ice, needs to be used to kill either Jaime or Stoneheart. Either one has a magical logic, with parallels to the Lightbringer myth so I don't know what way it will go, but either way Jaime's story does not end here.

Me. I hope Jaime dies slowly and painfully, he very much deserves it. "Redemption arc" my ass, he's still just as much as a scumbag as he's always been. Brienne deserves someone much better and I hope she does the right thing and leads him to his well deserved punishment.

21 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I know it’s probably not going to happen, since it’s been hunted heavily that he’ll be the one to kill Cersei before the story ends, but is anyone actually hoping that GRRM will subvert the hints and have Jaime executed by Catelyn Stoneheart? It wouldn’t be entirely undeserved, given all that Jaime’s done in the story, but it’s also tragic because he was genuinely trying to be a better man. Still, tragic ends are a common trope for these books, so it would at least be on brand. 

How do you all feel about it?

I want Jaime to die soon.

I want Jaime to go where he belongs. To Cersei's side. I want him to continue doing some questionably "honorable," things while overall being a dishonorable jerk.

I don't see him on a full fledged redemption arc.  

I think Jaime might have more compassion than Stoneheart at this point but I don't see him changing much. He'll stay exactly who he is, a douchy HIMBO who loves his sister.

32 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think Jaime might have more compassion than Stoneheart at this point but I don't see him changing much. 

He'll change.  Jaime might have more compassion than UnCat, but UnJaime and UnCat will be about the same.  And UnJaime will no more remember his love for the woman he loved than UnBeric did.

12 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

That doesn't jive with GRRM's writing style, where characters change and grow with the story.

I know it, GRRM uses plot armor on his villains, not the heroes lol.

But it would be the most logical path. The last thing Catelyn heard before someone killed her last son was "Jaime Lannisters sends his regards" sparing him, making a deal with him, makes no sense.

7 hours ago, David Selig said:

Me. I hope Jaime dies slowly and painfully, he very much deserves it. "Redemption arc" my ass, he's still just as much as a scumbag as he's always been. Brienne deserves someone much better and I hope she does the right thing and leads him to his well deserved punishment.

Yep he has done nothing to deserve escaping the noose and there is nothing he can do to make up for what he has cost Westeros. 

2 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

He'll change.  Jaime might have more compassion than UnCat, but UnJaime and UnCat will be about the same.  And UnJaime will no more remember his love for the woman he loved than UnBeric did.

Change to be darker? Because he's a zombie? Lol that's a first I've heard. Welp, it's better than Jaime becoming Mr. Good Guy and all that treacle. 

1 hour ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Change to be darker? Because he's a zombie? Lol that's a first I've heard. Welp, it's better than Jaime becoming Mr. Good Guy and all that treacle. 

Yes.  Darker.  It will be the same, unfortunately, with UnBrienne, who will also be a dark twisted version of her former self, taking her sword and hunting kingslayers, all while wearing the Hound's helm.  But with her, the change will be more stark, as she has much more humanity to lose.

Archived