Acrophobia #41 - Unwritten Song Titles (ROUND 1)

Dolorous Gabe

ROUND ONE RESULTS

1 - Margaery Dances Tonight - by Can’t Bear This Party

Author - Jez Bell

Points - 1+1 +2+2+1

Total - 7

2 - Most Deadly Toast - by Hamish The Harper

Author - Howlin’ Howland

Points - 1+1 +1+1+1+3

Total - 8

3 - Hobgoblin is killing cats - by Tom o’ Sevens

Author - Lilac & Gooseberries

Points - 1+1 +1+1+3

Total - 7

4 - Murder Done Tastefully - by Tom o’ Sevens

Author - Castellan

Points - 1+1 +3+1+2+2+2+1+1

Total - 14

5 - Mind ‘Dem Thorns - by LL Fool J

Author - AssHat Ahai

Points - 1+1 +2+1+3+1+2+1+2

Total - 14

6 - Margaery, damned twice 

Author - a free shadow

Points - 1+1 +1+3

Total - 6

7 - Herbs In King’s Cup - by Oberyn Martell

Author - Julia H.

Points - 1+1 +1+1+1+2

Total - 7

8 - ‘Momma’s Doctored Toddy

Author - rocksniffer

Points - 1+1 +1+1

Total - 4

9 - Mock Deer’s Tune

Author - RhaenysBee

Points - 1+1 +3+1+3+1

Total - 10

10 - Hallelujah (includes killer choruses) - by Leonard Cohen

Author - Fragile Bird

Points - 1+1 +3+2+3+3 +3

Total - 16

1 Fragile Bird 16 + 5 = 21

2 AssHat Ahai 14 + 5 = 19

2 Castellan 14 + 5 = 19

4 RhaenysBee 10 + 5 = 15

5 Howlin’ Howland 8 + 5 = 13

6 Jez Bell 7 + 5 = 12

6 Lilac & Gooseberries 7 + 5 = 12

6 Julia H. 7 + 5 = 12

9 a free shadow 6 + 5 = 11

10 rocksniffer 4 + 5 = 9

And so it begins, thus rocksniffer takes his preferred position of rock bottom but can he stay there? Could a shadow dash his dreams or does the shadow dream up designs of darkening the domain? At the other end, the not-so-Fragile Bird wastes no time in dusting off the cobwebs to make her customary takeoff, taking the most 1st place votes to rise above the popular titles by Castellan and AssHat Ahai.

I am super impressed with the overall quality of round 1. As such, you are all rewarded by the measure of FIVE whole points each. Huzzah! Or in rocksniffer’s case, commiserations

Meanwhile, let me say an official “welcome back” to AssHat Ahai. It’s great to have your unique perspective in the mix.

Please do check my tallies in case I made a mistake

Round 2 voting and Round 3 assignment coming up

I haven't played in a while - did we stop giving points for coming in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?

I was trying to think of a modern singer who would write something about Joffrey, and I thought Leonard Cohen would have something pithy to say in his gravelly voice, so I looked up song titles. I actually tried to write "Hallelujah, something something something" but the letters were in the wrong order. But I decided the song itself was remarkably suitable, celebration of his death, and the idea of a couple of queens taking him down (thorns and Marge), breaking his throne. And in that voice! :) 

Thank-you all for the welcome back!

PS: I am really, really out of it, mind-set wise. I looked at "Mock deer" and simply couldn't connect with it until finally, last night, I was lying in bed and suddenly Fake stag flashed in my brain. I am so damn stupid sometimes, my apologies RhaenysBee, for being so brain dead! :bang:

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was trying to think of a modern singer who would write something about Joffrey, and I thought Leonard Cohen would have something pithy to say in his gravelly voice, so I looked up song titles. I actually tried to write "Hallelujah, something something something" but the letters were in the wrong order. But I decided the song itself was remarkably suitable, celebration of his death, and the idea of a couple of queens taking him down (thorns and Marge), breaking his throne. And in that voice! :) 

Yes, that was it for me. I could hear that voice. Also the idea that it was simply a cause for celebration. And, although it's a very different style, I was also reminded of a 19th century Hungarian opera with a plot based on historical events, which includes a choir rejoicing in the death of the "schemer" and hoping for a more peaceful future (which, of course, does not happen). 

ROUND TWO VOTING

Please vote for your favourite FOUR titles for a song about King Robert’s final boar hunt in order of preference

1 - Woops! Our Drunk Royals Misfortune - by Symon Silver Tongue

2 - Rootin’ My Day Away - by Boss Hog

3 - Tried Loving Cersei - sung by the Common Folk

4 - Robert Made Drunk Again - by The Irish Rovers

5 - Wildebeast of Death (re-mix) - by Slayer

6 - Then Lyanna Called - by Robert Baratheon (16 years in advance)

7 - Rather Marvellous Dinner Announced - by Sweet Cersei’s Sirens

8 - Wounds of Deceit (Robert’s Monody) - by Bolo Brown

9 - When our dear Robert mounts - by The Westerosi Weird Al Yankovic

10 - Whore’s Ode: Dear Robert’s Memory

Let’s try a deadline at 9pm on Thursday 22nd April UK time (BST)

ROUND 3 ASSIGNMENT

The Mountain fights the Red Viper

Trial by combat, with a result determined by the gods. The mountainous Clegane fights for the prosecution and a poisonous Dornishman sees his own opportunity for justice. It was a fight for the ages and will undoubtedly be remembered by those that were witness to the event. But how will it be remembered in song? What angle would be taken by the songwriters?

Use one of the following acronyms to create a song title for a minstrel of your choice

D O R

V I M T L

T S A H B O P

The deadline will happen on Thursday 22nd April at 9pm UK time (BST)

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I haven't played in a while - did we stop giving points for coming in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?

Just the winner of the most 1st place votes gets extra points. Each player in a tie gets a reduced amount.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Thank-you all for the welcome back!

PS: I am really, really out of it, mind-set wise. I looked at "Mock deer" and simply couldn't connect with it until finally, last night, I was lying in bed and suddenly Fake stag flashed in my brain. I am so damn stupid sometimes, my apologies RhaenysBee, for being so brain dead! :bang:

:lol: Blame yourself not, it is kind of a stretch to be honest. My music knowledge is next to non existent so references don’t quite come easily.

4 hours ago, Julia H. said:

Yes, that was it for me. I could hear that voice. Also the idea that it was simply a cause for celebration. And, although it's a very different style, I was also reminded of a 19th century Hungarian opera with a plot based on historical events, which includes a choir rejoicing in the death of the "schemer" and hoping for a more peaceful future (which, of course, does not happen). 

Educate me please, which opera is this? :leaving: 

Just now, Castellan said:

I see everyone's still got their mojo (except me). Very hard to choose. May have to look again actually.

I’m going to do my usual trick this time, start with winning the first round and finish last this round. The entries are so good!

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

:lol: Blame yourself not, it is kind of a stretch to be honest. My music knowledge is next to non existent so references don’t quite come easily.

Educate me please, which opera is this? :leaving: 

...with all due respect to my darling Bird, i got the "mock deer" straight away as pointing to his bastard status but also a "mocking of the deer" tune...it was a brilliant entry

...i loved it Rhaenys :cheers:

11 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

And so it begins, thus rocksniffer takes his preferred position of rock bottom but can he stay there? Could a shadow dash his dreams or does the shadow dream up designs of darkening the domain? At the other end, the not-so-Fragile Bird wastes no time in dusting off the cobwebs to make her customary takeoff, taking the most 1st place votes to rise above the popular titles by Castellan and AssHat Ahai.

I am super impressed with the overall quality of round 1. As such, you are all rewarded by the measure of FIVE whole points each. Huzzah! Or in rocksniffer’s case, commiserations

Meanwhile, let me say an official “welcome back” to AssHat Ahai. It’s great to have your unique perspective in the mix.

Please do check my tallies in case I made a mistake

Round 2 voting and Round 3 assignment coming up

my goal to be dead last is firm in hand my dolorous host and the ever elusive :ninja: will continue to weave the smoke screen that shields the genius lurking in the ... shadows

...as to your generous reward points, i say...reward points...i don't need no stinking reward points... :pirate:

...anyone looking for fun join me in the dungeon of debauchery where i am drinking shots and thinking up my next losing entry...

:smoking:

Mock deer is a singer songwriter as a learned by googling, Don't ask me any more I only listened for a second. But I liked the combination of a real world musician and a play on words for fake Baratheon. Plus Mock Deer seems to play rather dismal stuff. I didn't see it as mocking the deer and wondered why Rocksniffer mention 'so many levels'.

It didn't jump out at me it sort of snuck up.

Archived