Game of Thrones Comes to Broadway

Westeros

Well, more correctly, it sounds like something from A Song of Ice and Fire is coming to Broadway, as HBO is not formally involved in any way (but has the option to invest)...

You may remember this post from a month ago, where we stumbled across Vince Gerardis’s website for Startling Inc., which listed a project called “A Song of Ice and Fire with The Works” as being in development. Interestingly, we checked a couple of days ago, and that reference was gone. But the project was not, in fact, dead. It is, in fact, very much alive. Producers Simon Painter and Tim Lawson (of, ahem, The Works Entertainment) are working from an outline provided by George R.R. Martin to write a spectacular stage play—targetting, New York’s Broadway, London’s West End, and Australia—concerning the events at the Tourney at Harrenhal.

Click for full-sized image

read on >>>

View the full article

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

So now the Tourney of Harrenhall is going to be revealed through a play,

It was never going to be revealed in the books. It's an event in the past of the novels. Some years ago George remarked that he could write a novel just about the event, and it sounds like instead of that he's allowing it to be made into a play.

If you mean the play will reveal some key detail(s), well, to be fair, Game of Thrones already did that, technically, although we all knew what was what and are just waiting for the common wisdom to be confirmed.

Last, but not least, GRRM previously indicated that the 6th book in the series (TWoW) would reveal the parentage of a character... so I'd guess George believes TWoW will reval all he intends to reveal in ASoIaF about the events of that tournament (as they relate to Jon Snow) which he has not already revealed in The World of Ice and Fire

ETA: GRRM is, in any case, not the playwright or director of this piece. He's provided a sketch of the key events, which I suspect is basically a combination of "The Year of the False Spring" in TWoIaF, Meera's story in ASoS, a few loose added details regarding the Knight of the Laughing Tree and "his" connection to the Starks and Rhaegar Targaryen and whatever alleged conspiracy was taking place there. That seems likely to be most of the total of his work on it, other than being shown stuff they're doing and answering questions.

If the play is going to stand on its own right and tell the full tale of the Tourney of Harrenhal then everything George has up in his drawer on that particular event should be part of that play ... else it is going to be as 'complete' as a certain incomplete history book was on the reigns of Aerys I to Jaehaerys II.

While the important focus of Harrenhal is on the Lyanna business ... that's not the entire story of it, and we can reasonably expect that Harrenhal like the Rebellion or any of the other historical events that have a bearing on the plot of ASoIaF will be referenced in all the remaining volumes of the series, not just TWoW.

If the play were to just focus on the Lyanna-Rhaegar stuff - and there only on the aspects we already know at this point - then there would be little point to this for the people who already know the stuff ... unless the music and singing is good, I guess.

That said - the fact that George said he could write a novel about that tourney alone implies that a lot of crucial things happened there involving people only very tangentially connected to Rhaegar and Lyanna. This play could and should be a way to tell at least some of their stories, and not just rehash people have already known for twenty or more years.

It will be about as complete about Harrenhal as Shakespeare's histories are about history.  Which is to say not very. But it'll be, one hopes, a good and entertaining spectacular drama, which is substantially more important for a play.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

It will be about as complete about Harrenhal as Shakespeare's histories are about history.  Which is to say not very. But it'll be, one hopes, a good and entertaining spectacular drama, which is substantially more important for a play.

I didn't mean as accurate as a history book, but that the focus be broader than just the complete Harrenhal story of Rhaegar and Lyanna, meaning we get also, say, Benjen's story there (decision to eventually take the black), Ashara's story with Ned and/or Brandon, the truth about Rhaegar's plotting against his father as well as Aerys' cronies plotting against Rhaegar, a good insight into Robert's true thoughts and feelings about the Lyanna incident (and what her brothers thought about it and why), and also some of the things that happened there which we don't know anything so far ... but will hear about in the future volumes of the series because George already mapped it out.

Of course they will have to focus on some core characters, but Aerys II, Rhaegar, Lyanna, the Starks, Robert, Ashara, Jaime, etc. should be core characters, in any case, so it wouldn't be that hard to fill in the blanks of the stories we already know, and elaborate more on things we have no idea of so far.

I'm personally rather interested in what Mace Tyrell and Dornishmen at the tourney were up to, for instance.

Why can't he just focus on finishing ASIOAF, then finish FaB 2? You have had a year of closed down society, use it! Don't get me wrong, I would love to know everything about the TaH, but I just want the books.

16 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This feels like a cruel joke. 

:agree:

22 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I live in the New York City area, and could go to an event for this if they're giving out fandom tickets, but I can't afford a Broadway ticket on my own.

If you can get tickets, I'll fly over and pay for them, provided you have a place for me to crash for a couple of days ;-).

3 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Why can't he just focus on finishing ASIOAF, then finish FaB 2? You have had a year of closed down society, use it! Don't get me wrong, I would love to know everything about the TaH, but I just want the books.

George isn't writing this play, so it is not likely to draw a lot of time from him ... not to mention whatever he did for them he would have likely already done some time ago, when they were writing outlines and stuff for the play.

13 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

George isn't writing this play, so it is not likely to draw a lot of time from him ... not to mention whatever he did for them he would have likely already done some time ago, when they were writing outlines and stuff for the play.

Enough things are drawing George away from continuing the books properly. I am not blaming he for not being able to finish TWOW until 2020 (There has been Dunk And Egg, FnB, GoT going on, and other things too). This project, (let's say) does not, but right now he is just getting involved in so many things, he won't be able to write the ending of his own story.

But let's say that I am convinced that either way, we will know the ending anyway. So I am not worried about never getting to know the fate of the major characters. The thing some people want is the worldbuilding. The more he writes, the more we know. And I doubt he'll ever hand over the right to end his story or build his own world to anyone fully. Of course, there could be major things we don't know about but he already worked out (regarding worldbuilding), but believing that he won't finish ADOS in time, I just want to get as much as we could.

Totally agree @Daeron the Daring. It isn't just about the fate of characters, it's about how they got there. That's part of the brilliance of ASOIAF as we all know. Of course GRRM has every right to expand the universe as he sees fit and it's a testament to how amazing his writing is, but I worry this means a further delay for WoW. Hopefully not! 

On 3/31/2021 at 7:47 PM, Lord Varys said:

If you can get tickets, I'll fly over and pay for them, provided you have a place for me to crash for a couple of days ;-).

My living arrangements make that impossible, unfortunately.

I also made a bonus video on my youtube channel in which I outline how I seriously think Varys was the secret mastermind behind the Tourney at Harrenhal: 

Archived