All the cartoons I watched in my childhood (warning, very long read)

Mysecondaccount

TL:DR: This is just a list of every cartoon I watched in my childhood, and what my thoughts were on them. I've been in a very nostalgic mood lately, so I decided to list them all and detail how I felt about them as a child. Please feel free to disagree with me and my child self.

Cartoon series that I remember as a child:

Recently, I’ve been looking back on cartoons I’ve watched as a kid. What amazes is that many of these cartoons are now considered iconic cult classics or obscure and barely accessible relics. The fact that these cartoons are over ~12-15+ years old now, makes me feel really old. 

As a side note, I often channel surfed as a kid, and rarely fixated on a single show (with some exceptions here and there). I tended to be an opportunistic viewer, I just watched anything that was on. Hence why I only saw a very small number of episodes from a majority of these shows in this list. I was also a very cartoon oriented kid, hence the over half an hour worth of reading material here. Man, I didn’t even realize how long it would take to list out every cartoon I watched in my childhood. I apologize if the extreme length of my post, makes it unviewable for you. Anyways what are your thoughts on any of the cartoons mentioned here, if any? What are some cartoons you watched in your childhood?

Cartoon Network: As a child, my family didn’t own cable. It just wasn’t in our budget, nor did my parents have any interest in it. So I only watched Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Disney owned channels, etc was at my paternal grandparents’ house, hotels, a few other relatives of mine, and the occasional friend’s house. Cartoon Network was one of my favorite channels as a kid. Watching it on my paternal grandparents’ TV, was one of the things I loved doing at their house.

Teen Titans: I’ve seen a lot of episodes from that show. I enjoyed watching them, the action was good and the characters were fun. However, I wasn’t as affectionate to the show as people are now.

Samurai Jack: From what little I can recall, I really liked Samurai Jack. Especially the iconic action sequences. 

Edd Ed n Eddy: I know I've seen a lot of episodes, and I have vivid memories of the opening credits. However, I don’t remember that many details, but I did like the show.

Ben 10 (mostly the original series): I liked that show as a kid. Especially the alien creature designs. As it was one of Cartoon Network’s most played franchises when it aired, I watched several episodes of that show. Only really paid attention to the series until Alien Force was over. After that, it fell out of the map in my little world.  

Courage the Cowardly Dog: Another cartoon that aired a lot in my early childhood. I’ve seen quite a few episodes. From what I could recount, it was a fine enough show. Not anything I held close to my heart, but I liked watching it when it came on. 

Powerpuff Girls: Watched a good number of Power Puff Girls episodes. I liked the action in them and the theme song was pretty catchy. However, I didn’t particularly like the titular girls’ character designs. It’s purely due to my own personal tastes, but I just didn’t care for Buttercup’s pigtails and Blossom’s ponytail and bow.

Kids Next Door: Man, I liked that show. It really fed into my “living in a grownup free world” fantasies, I occasionally had as a child.  

League of Super Evil: Didn’t see that many episodes, as it wasn’t played very often. However, the episodes were so hilarious (at least to me) that I busted out laughing every time I watched the show. Shame that the executives axed this show. It had so much potential. 

Storm Hawks: Only watched one episode that I can remember. It was the one when the "big guy" of the main cast was captured by spider creatures. Don't recall anything else, but I don't think I had any real thoughts on the show.

The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy: I remember watching a number of episodes. Don’t remember any feelings about this show, though its “grimness” (pun intended) might have somewhat been too much for me. 

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Watched a few episodes here and there. Didn’t like the show at all. I wasn’t a fan of it’s surreal and occasional gross out humor. It was just too “out there” for me as a kid. 

Code Lyoko: Watched a small handful of episodes. Don’t remember my feelings towards them, but it probably was that of indifference. 

Transformers Unicron Trilogy: I recall watching the Amanda and Cybertron series on Cartoon Network, though they didn’t air that often. Though most of my exposure to this show was through merchandise or occasionally renting it on DVD. I liked the setting and premise of the Unicron Trilogy shows, but I didn’t care for the combat scenes. Like many action shows targeted towards a very young demographic, the characters on both sides bluffed themselves up like children in the playground (i.e. “You cannot defeat me, I’m too powerful. Taste the might of my awesome [x superpower or weapon].”). Even at a very young age, it annoyed me to no end when character indulged in such behaviors, especially if the characters were the antagonists. 

Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends: I’ve seen quite a number of Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends episodes. It was one of the shows that was commonly played on Cartoon Network at the time. I didn’t hold the show in that high regard, but I didn’t mind watching it when it came on. 

Krypto the Superdog (occasionally aired on Kids WB as well): Krypto the Superdog was an obsession in my early childhood. That show alone was one of the reasons why I watched Kids WB. Most of my internet activity at the time was scouring for information and merchandise for the series. Unfortunately for me, Krypto the Superdog was one of the many shows that were badly neglected by the networks. Airings were pretty rare, and merchandise was almost unheard off. The very few merchandise I could get a hold off (like coloring books, a comic or two, a few toys, and a handful of picture books), I was all over. 

Totally Spies: I’ve watched maybe three or four episodes. Don’t recall any particularly special feelings towards Totally Spies. It just existed, and I watched it sometimes. 

Camp Lazlo: I watched quite a handful of episodes. When it was around, it was played quite often. The show was fine enough for me to easily watch full episodes. That is pretty much the only thing I can say about Camp Lazlo.

The Life and Times of Juniper Lee: I completely forgot about this show, until I saw it on a list of original Cartoon Network programmings. When I searched it on google images, I recognized it from the show’s logos and screenshots. However, I believe I only saw no more than two or three episodes, and I can’t recount anything about them. However, from what I can tell, it looks like just another generic super powered preteen cartoon. 

Chowder: Chowder as a really weird show to me, and I barely understood what was going on. As I mentioned about my opinions on Flapjack, surreal humor wasn’t generally my thing. Regardless, I didn't mind watching when the episodes aired. 

Johnny Test (often aired on Kids WB): As Johnny Test was overplayed on Kids WB and Cartoon Network (pretty similar to Teen Titans Go now), I’ve seen several dozen episodes. Didn’t mind it too much, as I enjoyed the slapstick antics in the show. Looking back as an adult, I can see why the show was very grating to a good number of viewers.

The Secret Saturdays: I liked the premise of this show, as a bit of a Cryptid phase around the time it aired. However, I didn’t watch too many episodes, and was pretty much indifferent to it. 

Pokemon: I had a love/hate relationship with Pokemon. On one hand, the vocalizations from many of the Pokemon tended to get really grating to me. It also had an overly “saccharine” (if that is the proper word to use in this context) tone compared to the “dark” and “gritty” (at least to my child self’s perspective) Yu-Gi-Oh. On the other hand, the episodes and the direct to video movies really fueled my little imagination.  

My Gym Partner's a Monkey: Wasn’t my cup of tea, but I did watch it when it was on.

Johnny Bravo: I can recall seeing this character in a lot of Cartoon Network advertisements. However, I haven't watched many Johnny Bravo episodes, nor do I have any memories of them. Though I have watched the show years later, and found it quite witty. 

What’s New Scooby Doo: As I was a Scooby Doo fan, I really loved this show. Watched the episodes over and over again. I don’t think I watched this show on channels much, and I watched it on home media. My parents even got me all three seasons on DVD.

However, when I rewatched the show recently, the quality didn’t exactly hold up. Too many villains of the week were given “slaps on wrists” for fairly serious crimes (including kidnapping, attempted murder, harassment, etc) on the weakest of pretenses. The weekly side characters were dull and could get very annoying. Especially the overly indulgent and self prompting Simpsons style celebrity guests. Whenever an episode featured a celebrity, I skipped it. 

Some of the “reveals” behind the antagonist of the week were nonsensical. For example, there were monsters explained as motorized vehicles, though they behaved nothing like one. Last but not least, the writing was lazy, and just about every episode had a plot hole or a dangling thread left unaddressed. My only praises to the show are that the animation was gorgeous, and it had a very catchy theme song.

A Pup Named Scooby Doo: This show was already a tad old when I was kid, but reruns were still quite frequent on Cartoon Network at the time. I also recall watching copies at other peoples houses, and I occasionally rented a copy from the public library. My feelings towards a Pup Named Scooby Doo were a bit mixed. The tone was a tad too different from the other Scooby Doo incarnations for me, and felt a little too "little kiddy" for me. At the same time the episodes still manged to keep me entertained.

Kids WB/CW: When Kids WB was still around, they aired every Saturday. I often looked forward to Kids WB coming on. As it was one of the few cartoon channels I had access to on a semi common basis, that wasn’t PBS Kids. When Kids WB came on, I watched it from the time it started at ~7:30ish until around noon when it ended.

Monster Allergy: Saw a handful of episodes, but was mostly indifferent to the show. When I came across Monster Allergy on netflix, I tried watching an episode for nostalgia. Couldn’t get through a few minutes.

Shaggy and Scooby get a Clue: I was a Scooby Doo fanatic in most of my childhood, and I adored that show. Although the show badly botched up it’s attempt at refreshing the Scooby Doo franchise (and understandably peeved a lot of fans), it was a real treat for me to see Shaggy and Scooby Doo in pseudo “action hero” scenarios.  

Xiaolin Showdown: I’ve watched quite a few episodes of that show. Xiaolin Showdown wasn’t on my favorite list, but I didn’t mind watching it.

Magi-Nation: I stopped watching Kids WB, by the time this show came on. Though I did see a small handful of episodes. Didn’t really have much thoughts towards this show. 

¡Mucha Lucha!: The show existed, and I remember it’s advertisements and an episode or two. That is pretty much all I can say in regards to ¡Mucha Lucha!

World of Quest: Most of my exposure to that cartoon, was an accompanying comic series I often read in my local bookstores, and the advertisements that would air on Kids WB. At most, I think I only saw an episode or two. 

Eon Kid: I loved the robot designs in this show, but I was frustrated by the very slow moving narrative. It seemed like the main characters were imprisoned in some sort of illegal “Gladiator ring” for far too long.

Loonatics Unleashed: Loonatics Unleashed was a fun show, in spite of it’s cringe worthy premise. It was commonly played on Kids WB, when I was watching the channel.

Spider Riders: Actually liked the show, especially the enemy foot soldiers’ character designs. Like Krypto the Superdog, Spider Riders didn’t air that much. Which disappointed me quite a bit.

SkunkFu: Watched a few episodes, but I don’t remember much of them. 

Tom and Jerry Tales: I don’t know how traditional Tom and Jerry fans see this show, but I didn’t mind watching the episodes whenever it came on.  

Batman cartoon of 2004: This incarnation of Batman aired quite a bit when I watched the channel. I loved this show as a kid. Especially its atmosphere and fighting scenes. As with many children shows at the time, it was pretty reliant on a toyline. I actually liked some of the accompanying toys and their commercials.

Legion of Super-Heroes: This played fairly often on Kids WB. It was a fun, but otherwise quite forgettable show.  

Will & Dewitt: Didn’t care for this show, as it deviated too much from the Kids WB cartoons I was familiar with. Kids WB was on its deathbed at the time this show aired, and I stopped watching the channel altogether.

Nickelodeon  (Nick Jr included): As with Cartoon Network, my family didn’t have access to Nickelodeon. When I did watch the channel, it was mostly at hotels or other peoples’ houses.

Spongebob Squarepants: That show was an utter juggernaut in my childhood. It was merchandised to death, and just about all my friends and the few similar aged cousins that I have (most of my cousins are over a decade or two older than me) loved the show. Spongebob was played over and over again on Nickelodeon. My mom hated this show, but I found it funny. 

Catscratch: I watched an episode or two, but I have better memories of the online games on the Nickelodeon website then the actual cartoon itself.

Rocket Power: I saw more advertisements for it, then the actual episodes themselves. Perhaps I've seen a small number of episodes, but can't remember anything but the designs of the main character themselves.

Dora the Explorer: Another one of Nickelodeon’s overplayed shows. I personally have seen dozens of episodes. The merchandise was nearly impossible to avoid. I loved mocking it’s overly saccharine nature.

Jimmy Neutron: I really liked the movie as a kid. Watched all the time at one of my maternal aunt’s house. The cartoon series on the other hand, didn’t watch as much. However, I’ve seen a number of episodes. They kept me entertained for the time being, but didn’t think much of them after that. 

The Wild Thornberrys: Saw a few episodes back in the day, but I can't recall anything else about it. As an animal lover, I think the show appealed to me on some level, but there is nothing else that I can say with certainty.

Rugrats: I watched the show a bit, though I think most of my exposure was through rented copies. As I was a dinosaur fanatic, I especially liked the episodes with Reptar in them.

Avatar the Last Airbender: As popular of a show as it is now, I didn’t watch that many episodes. If my memory serves me, I think I only watched the first two or three episodes (the ones with Aang first meeting the Water tribes). However, I loved it’s accompanying merchandise, particularly the books that were common in bookstores and public libraries at the time.   

Hey Arnold: I remember a few episodes from that show, and I think I might have seen the official movie. Cannot recall my feelings towards Hey Arnold. 

My Dad the Rock Star: The KISS cartoon was a thing, and I remember watching a few episodes. That is just about it. 

ChalkZone: I’ve seen a handful of episodes from this cartoon. I don’t think it played on Nickelodeon much, as I don’t recall that many episodes. Never had any feelings towards it one way or the other. 

Fairly Odd Parents: Was a very overplayed show, and thus I’ve seen a number of episodes. I could sit down when it turned on, but I wasn’t exactly a fan. 

CatDog: Don’t remember much, but I liked that the titular characters were cats and dogs. Two of my favorite animals. I definitely watched a number of episodes, but don’t recall any details. 

Danny Phantom: Watched a handful of episodes, here and there. Don’t recall any of my personal feelings towards the show. 

Blues Clues: Another one of my childhood favorites. My family owned a number of VHS copies, but my dad hated the show. 

Little Bill: I think I've seen this show a couple of times. Don’t recall anything else. 

PBS Kids: As previously mentioned, my family didn’t own cable. PBS Kids was one of the very few constantly airing stations available to me. Didn’t really care for the overly saccharine nature of the shows, and I hated that they replayed the same episodes of the same few shows (often Clifford, Arthur, Cyber Chase, and Dragon Tales early on, and Martha Speaks, Dinosaur Train, Curious George, and Fetch Ruff Ruffman at a later point) over and over again. However, since it was one of the very few cartoon channels I had daily access to, I reluctantly was a common viewer.  

Clifford the Big Red Dog: It was one of the most overplayed shows on the network...at least when I was watching PBS Kids. It was a fine enough show on it’s own merits, but I eventually got sick of Clifford. 

Zoboomafoo: I really liked the claymation scenes, especially the Dinosaur in it. Though that is pretty much all I can remember from that show.

It’s a Big Big World: It had some really cool puppetry, but my overall thoughts were that of pure indifference. Didn’t even notice that the show was what TV Tropes calls "screwed by the networks."

Sesame Street: Another one of the shows that I commonly watched as a kid. It was an alright show to me, but I didn’t really care too much about it one or the other. Though, I can understand why Sesame Street is a treasured classic to millions around the globe. 

Martha Speaks: Martha Speak was a pretty fun show, though it would be a stretch to call me a fan. It was played a lot, but I didn’t mind that too much. 

Caillou: I’ve seen a lot of episodes, as it was one of the most commonly played shows on the network. Didn’t have much personal feelings one way or the other about the show, though it wasn’t something I would go out of my way to watch. I do find the vocal hatedom towards Caillou quite amusing though. Several years ago, some lady in my church posted a petition of banning Caillou for its' "negative influence" on Facebook, and I laughed hysterically at it.

Barney: This was a show that really got on my nerves, even as a small child. Barney’s infamous sickeningly saccharine themes got under my skin, every time it was on. When Barney started singing that “I love you song”, I pretty much started internally screaming.

Maya & Miguel: I remember this show coming on, but I don’t recall anything about it. Only it’s barebones premise and theme song.

Wordgirl: Wordgirl was a fun little show, especially for a PBS Kids series. 

WordWorld: I completely forgot that this show even existed, until I saw it on a page listing of PBS Kids shows. From what I can recall, WordWorld aired a bit, but not to the extent of other PBS Kids juggernauts. My impression as a kid was that it was pretty generic and dull. Though, it did accomplish its objectives of teaching spelling well enough.

Super Why!: This show was utterly annoying to me. To the point that I would’ve preferred listing to nails clawing a chalkboard. I know that most PBS Kids are fairly saccharine, given the nature of the channel. However, Super Why! was on a whole other level. The show often sugar coated public domain fairy tales, to the point that they were butchered beyond recognition. Unfortunately for me, Super Why! aired on a regular basis.

Liberty's Kids: Don’t remember too many airings on the actual channel. However, my elementary school classes played episodes any time we covered the American Revolution.

Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat: I’m having a hard time recounting what little I can remember about this show. From what I can recall, it was an alright enough show. Nothing particularly special or outstanding. 

Angelina Ballerina: I remember watching a few episodes, though I don’t think the show was on often. Though I cannot recall anything else about it, other than it’s basic premise. 

Between the Lions: I’ve watched several episodes of that show. Actually liked the several segments that the episodes would play, especially the ones involving knights. 

Little Bear: My family owned a number of VHS copies, which I watched over and over again. Cannot remember why, but something just clicked with me about this show.

7 Little Monsters. Only remember it’s theme song, and I really liked it as a kid. Don’t recall any actual episodes. Tried watching an episode on YouTube for nostalgia's sake, but I couldn’t stand it for more than a few seconds.

Cyber Chase: Another one of PBS Kids’ overplayed shows. Seen a lot of episodes, but was mostly indifferent to that series. I’m actually shocked that it’s still ongoing. 

Zula Patrol: This one of the few PBS Kids shows that I genuinely liked. As I had a brief stint into astronomy as a kid.

Redwall: Only watched a handful of episodes. I can recall being annoyed by the constant cliffhangers at each episode.

Curious George: As with many other PBS Kids shows, I watched this when I had nothing else to do. Just like a good number of the few shows that aired on PBS Kids, they aired the same episodes over and over again. Pretty generic, but otherwise fine show.

Arthur: Usually I didn’t care about Arthur much, but I went through some phases when I vaguely liked it. Arthur was among PBS Kids’ favorite shows, and thus I saw a lot of episodes. 

Bernstein Bears of 2003: Bernstein Bears didn’t air to the extent of some of the other PBS Kid shows, but the episodes were a common feature in PBS Kids programming at the time. Don’t think I had any strong opinions about this show.

Thomas the Tank Engine: Really don’t have much to say about this show, other than it aired sometimes, and I didn’t have any qualms watching it.

Jay Jay the Jet Plane: I have better memories of the computer game I used to like to play, then the show itself. 

Fetch Ruff Ruffman: One of PBS Kids better quality shows in my opinion. I liked the challenges the contestants played in each episode.

Dragon Tales: My overall thoughts on this show was “meh”. As with many other PBS Kids shows, I got tired by how overplayed they were. 

Bob the Builder: This was a show that I sorta liked. Especially it’s opening theme song. As with Rugrats, What's New Scooby Doo, and Little Bear, most of my exposure was through videotapes and DVDs. 

Sid the Science Kid: From what I can recount, this show played fairly often. Around the time this showed aired, I was starting to enter a really bad “edgy phase” at that point in my life. I remember chuckling to myself that “does this kid really want to know about the heinous atrocities committed in the past and deviant sexual practices”, every time he uttered his catch phrase “I wanna know everything about everything.”

4Kids TV: Used to watch this channel all the time, until my mother banned it after my older sister told her that it was “violent”. My mom is somewhat of a moral guardian, and didn’t like anything remotely violent. 

Teenage Mutant Turtles show of 2003-10, especially the “fast forward” season: I enjoyed the show’s action sequences and it’s setting. There were a few creature designs that I was especially fond of. 

G.I. Joe Sigma 6: I remember only watching an episode or two of that show. Didn’t have any particular regards one way or the other. 

Dinosaur King: Loved that show, as the narrative obviously fixated around Dinosaurs. For those unfamiliar, it’s pretty much your typical trading card oriented anime, but with Dinosaurs. This very show was one of the reasons why I watched 4KidsTV.

Chaotic: Cannot recount much from Chaotic, but I liked those trading card game type shows in general. Especially their monster designs. 

Yu-Gi-Oh!: I really liked that show and it’s endless spin offs as a kid. In particular, I enjoyed the dueling sequences and the monster designs. 

Winx Club: I have a vivid memory of one particular episode. It was the one when some villain, whose name I don’t care to remember, kidnapped the girls’ boyfriends. Apparently, villain dude was trying to lure the girls into an assortment of traps or something. Didn’t watch Winx Club much though, and I was pretty indifferent to the overall series.

Sonic X: In regards to Sonic X, it was fine enough show on its own merits, but still quite overly generic. Though there were other co-airing cartoons at the time that I preferred watching. Thus I rarely watched a full Sonic X episodes.

Viva Pinata: The show's premise really wasn't appealing to me at all. Not helping was that the tone established by the ads was a tad too "unorthodox" (not exactly the right word for my feelings, but can't think of a more accurate word) for my tastes. Whenever Viva Pinata turned on, I switched the channel.

Disney Channel/Jetix/ABC/any of the other now defunct Disney owned channels: Man, all the staggering number of subdivisions and cartoon channels owned by Disney is truly hard to keep track of. In regards to those Disney owned channels themselves, I didn’t go out of my watch to watch them like I did with Cartoon Network. I didn’t really care for the endless live action shows on those channels. 

The Proud Family: Again, watched a handful of episodes. I don’t have much to say about the series. Only that it existed, and I watched it when I had nothing else to do.

Kim Possible: During its airing, I occasionally watched Kim Possible. I think I viewed most of those episodes at a neighbor's house, but I’m not sure. I cannot recall my feelings towards the show. Though, I do remember that it was merchandised quite a bit. 

Recess: I recall watching a few episodes of that show. Occasionally in Elementary School, the teachers would turn on the show’s holiday specials during the before winter break week. 

Teacher’s Pet: I can remember an advertisement attached to a VHS tape of mine. Maybe I watched an episode, but I don’t have any certainty of that.

Dave the Barbarian (?): I vaguely remember this show, but cannot recall any particular episodes. I think I only watched an episode or two, but I don’t remember anything about the plots.

Doug (?): I can recall coming across trailers for the show on VHS tapes and DVD disks that my family owned, and seeing a handful of copies kept in video stores. Maybe one of my elementary school classes played the movie, during special occasions. But my memory is quite foggy in that regard. Don’t think I actually watched any episodes.

Jane and the Dragon: Only watched a few snippets while channel surfing. Don’t think I ever watched a full episode.

George of the Jungle of 2007: Watched a good number of episodes, despite its short run. They kept me entertained, though (as with many shows documented in this list) I was mostly indifferent to them.

Phineas and Ferb: Phineas and Ferb was kind of an overplayed and over merchandised cash cow. However, I didn’t mind much, as it was a genuinely fun show to watch.

American Dragon, Jake Long: I can definitely remember watching a few (maybe around 5 at most) episodes of that show. Don’t recall having any special feelings towards it.

Jetix: In terms of Jetix specifically, I didn’t watch Jetix much. Would occasionally come across Jetix, when I was channel surfing at other peoples’ (especially my aforementioned paternal grandparents’) houses.

Silverwings: I actually remember watching a brief snippet from that show. From what I remembered, the sequence went on the lines of some “good guy” bats tricking an evil bat into humiliating himself. The protagonists somehow created an optical illusion that fooled the evil bat into thinking his boss or something was right in front of him. With some ventriloquism, the heroes tricked the villain bat into insulting himself over and over again. They then laughed, as they watched the evil bat fearfully self deprecated in an endless mantra. 

For several years, I remembered that snippet, but I couldn’t tell if it was some fever dream or if it actually came from something. It wasn’t until three or four years ago, when I was web surfing and I came across Silverwings, that I realized that the snippet of my memory came from that show.

Yin Yang Yo: I recall an advertisement for the show attached to one of the DVDs that my family owned, and watching a single episode. That is pretty much it. 

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!: I recall watching a single episode and nothing else.  

Sabrina the Teenage Witch: Watched maybe an episode or two from that show. Don’t recall anything else from it.

Others (mostly shows I watched entirely on home media releases):

Strawberry Shortcake (early 2000s version): My little sister loved this show growing up. She often rented DVD copies from video stores all the time. Although the show was a bit “girly”, I didn’t mind watching it with her.

Original Scooby Doo of 1969: I was all over that show. Often watched the episodes that I had on VHS and DVD over and over again. 

Veggie Tales: Mostly rented copies from video stores. Occasionally, they would air on TV. Though for the life of me, I cannot recall on what channel. As I mentioned under Cailou, I had a religious upbringing, and sometimes my Sunday school teachers would play an episode that pertained to whatever topic of the week.

TaleSpin: My mom bought the entire first season on DVD. I watched them with my siblings over and over again.

Magic School Bus: When I was in elementary school, my classes often played whatever episode pertained to the subject was at hand. Never watched the show on TV, as it predated me only by a few years. It was also merchandised to death. 

Fat Albert: On some occasions, I rented old DVD copies from video stores. Despite the reputation of its host today, I liked this show as a kid.

Bear in the Big Blue House: Another one of my childhood favorites. My family owned several VHS tapes, and I watched them over and over again. Also had a handful of the merchandise, like a few picture books.

3-2-1 Penguins: Only watched a single episode, while channel surfing. It when the titular characters crash landed on a planet inhabited by three elderly penguins. Who suspiciously looked like the Penguin protagonist trio. During the course of the episode, the trio tried repairing their ship, and brushing aside the advice of the old penguins. At the end of the episodes, it turned out that the old Penguins where the Penguin trio from the future, with a shoehorned moral about respecting elders shoved in. Didn’t care for this show at all, and quickly forgot about it’s existence until just recently. 

I long for the days of cartoons that were downright clever and interesting rather than vehicles for product sales.  Yes, I am that old.

Some examples:  Tom and Jerry (originals), Bugs Bunny (where I was first introduced to classical music), Rocky and Bullwinkle and Mr. Peabody, etc., etc.   The cartoons that are aired currently are downright boring.  

9 hours ago, Mysecondaccount said:

The fact that these cartoons are over ~12-15+ years old now, makes me feel really old. 

Oh, sweet summer child... :P

I was a Scooby Doo fanatic in most of my childhood

Did you ever watch Mystery Inc?

Avatar the Last Airbender: As popular of a show as it is now, I didn’t watch that many episodes. If my memory serves me, I think I only watched the first two or three episodes (the ones with Aang first meeting the Water tribes).

It's worth watching the whole thing, and the sequel Korra.

Sesame Street: Another one of the shows that I commonly watched as a kid. It was an alright show to me, but I didn’t really care too much about it one or the other. Though, I can understand why Sesame Street is a treasured classic to millions around the globe. 

It certainly has longevity going for it. Back in my day, the big question was whether anyone else would ever find out Mr Snuffleupagus was real.

Barney:

:ack:

Strawberry Shortcake: My little sister loved this show growing up.

I assume that's not the version I saw in the 80s?

Original Scooby Doo of 1969: I was all over that show. Often watched the episodes that I had on VHS and DVD over and over again. 

Fat Albert: On some occasions, I rented old DVD copies from video stores. Despite the reputation of its host today, I liked this show as a kid.

Those I remember. I'm surprised they were still getting broadcast that recently.

Let me join the others who have to remark that that list makes me feel positively ancient. There's a couple of cartoons that you watched as reruns of in tape that I'm familiar with, but otherwise it's a whole mess of stuff I've never seen.

I'll have to try and fix through my memories and write a list of everything I saw in the 80s and early 90s.

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Any Thundarr the Barbarian and early 80’s Flash Gordon fans?

Yes to Thundarr! I recall the old Flash Gordon cartoon as well but did not watch it as much.

80's Toons is great for nostalgia. Using that, here's the 80's cartoons I remember watching:

Alvin and the Chipmunks, Barbar, Bananaman, Bionic Six, BraveStarr, Captain N the Game Master, Care Bears, Challenge of the Gobots, C.O.P.S, Defenders of the Earth, Denver the Last Dinosaur, Dinoriders, Ducktales, Dungeons & Dragons, The Flintstones, Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, The Real Ghostbuters, G.I. Joe, Gummi Bears, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Heathcliff, Hulk Hogan's Rock n' Wrestling, Inspector Gadget, Jem, The Jetsons, Lazertag Academy, The Legend of Zelda, M.A.S.K, Mighty Mouse, Muppet Babies, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Rescue Rangers, New Scooby Doo Mysteries, New Scooby Doo and Scrappy Show, She-Ra, The Smurfs, The Snorks, The Super Mario Bros. Show, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, Transformers, Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, Voltron...

That list is not complete. It's missing SilverHawks and TigerSharks. And Pac-Man. Garfield and U.S. ACres. Then into the 90s, there's Exo-SquadGargoylesBatman: The Animated SeriesSuperman: The Animated SeriesJames Bond Jr....

And besides Thundarr and some of the others named above, there was always a mess of old Hanna-Barbera cartoons around -- stuff like Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Yogi Bear, Magilla Gorilla, Space Ghost and Dino Boy, Birdman, The Herculoids, Super Friends, Richie Rich, the Monchhichis, Jonny Quest..

Nickelodeon had RugratsDoug, Rocco's Modern Life. MTV had Liquid Television with things like Aeon Flux, and of course there was Beavis and Butt-HeadDuckman was probably right at the cusp of when I stopped watching cartoons with any regularity.

57 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Thundarr the Barbarian

This was the first show I thought of when I saw this thread.  Thundarr was an all time favorite.  I just looked the show up and I had no idea Thundarr was voiced by the Colonel from Boogie Nights

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

Alvin and the Chipmunks, Care Bears, Challenge of the Gobots,  Dungeons & Dragons, The Flintstones,  The Real Ghostbuters, G.I. Joe, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Heathcliff,  Inspector Gadget, Jem, The Jetsons,  M.A.S.K, Mighty Mouse, New Scooby Doo Mysteries, New Scooby Doo and Scrappy Show, She-Ra, The Smurfs, Thundercats, Transformers, Voltron...

SilverHawks

And besides Thundarr and some of the others named above, there was always a mess of old Hanna-Barbera cartoons around -- stuff like Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Yogi Bear, Magilla Gorilla, Space Ghost and Dino Boy, Birdman, The Herculoids, Super Friends, Richie Rich, the Monchhichis, Jonny Quest..

MTV had Liquid Television with things like Aeon Flux, and of course there was Beavis and Butt-Head.

I loved most of these. 

I'll add Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends as a favorite. 

Tom and Jerry of course. 

I also remember loving the Mr. T show where he drove the bus for the gymnastics team. 

Oh, yes, Tom and Jerry, and the old Looney Tunes and Disney shorts... Actually, forgot to mention Animaniacs, didn't I? And Darkwing Duck!

ETA: Also Captain Planet.

I'll only include the ones I remember as a middle schooler.  Thundercats, He Man, GI Joe, Transformers, Spiderman, TMNT, Inspector Gadget.... These were my main shows.

Of course, Tom n Jerry, Flintstones etc were always on.

I do remember Ed Edd and Eddy, Sponge Bob, Cat-Dog because my daughter liked them.

13 hours ago, Mysecondaccount said:

TaleSpin: My mom bought the entire first season on DVD. I watched them with my siblings over and over again.

I loved this show. Watched a few episodes on Disney+ when it first came out. What a cool world they made. With characters from The Jungle Book for some reason. That confused me as a kid. 

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Any Thundarr the Barbarian and early 80’s Flash Gordon fans?

Thundarr the Barbarian was a fantastic homage to Jack Vance's The Dying Earth.  When my daughter was ten, I picked up the entire run of both seasons for her edification.

Some of the frames are quite painterly.

A nice little documentary on the creation of the show is below.  Frankly, I am amazed that GRRM wasn't a writer for any of the episodes. 

On 3/31/2021 at 5:09 AM, felice said:

1.Did you ever watch Mystery Inc?

2.It's worth watching the whole thing, and the sequel Korra.

3.It certainly has longevity going for it. Back in my day, the big question was whether anyone else would ever find out Mr Snuffleupagus was real.

4.I assume that's not the version I saw in the 80s?

5.Original Scooby Doo of 1969: I was all over that show. Often watched the episodes that I had on VHS and DVD over and over again. 

1.When Mystery Inc was airing, I didn't really watch the show as I didn't have cable. As I mentioned before, I usually relied on my parental grandparents' for their cable. In the early 2010s when I hit my teen years, I didn't travel to my grandparents' house that much. As they where an agonizingly long 1,500 miles away. I also didn't seek out cartoons as much as I used to (though, I still liked watching them here and there). However, I did sporadically keep track of the show's progress when it aired. During my recent Scooby Doo rewatch with my sister, I found Mystery Inc to be of a far superior quality to What's New Scooby Doo.

2.I did watch the entire Legend of Korra last year. It was pretty entertaining, though it would be a bit of stretch to call me a fan of that show. When it ran, I was barely aware that it existed at all. Only saw a headline or two about the famous "lesbian scene" in the series finale, but didn't think anything of it.

3.Hasn't Sesame Street been around since the late 60s?

4.Correct. I think it was the 90s version of Strawberry Short Cake that my sister watched.

5.Don't think I ever saw Fat Albert actually airing on a TV channel, just old DVD copies I rented from video stores. The original Scooby Doo incarnation did air from time to time on Cartoon Network, at least from my memory. Though most of my viewing was through VHS and DVD copies 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:13 AM, Tears of Lys said:

I long for the days of cartoons that were downright clever and interesting rather than vehicles for product sales.  Yes, I am that old.

Some examples:  Tom and Jerry (originals), Bugs Bunny (where I was first introduced to classical music), Rocky and Bullwinkle and Mr. Peabody, etc., etc.   The cartoons that are aired currently are downright boring.  

What's Opera Doc will be forever vividly cemented in my memories.

Looking back there were very questionable concepts for cartoons. Cow and Chicken, for example...

On 3/31/2021 at 12:13 AM, Tears of Lys said:

Regular Show. Adventure Time. Gumball. These are newer shows I’ve enjoyed without wanting to buy merchandise.

(Yes I do own a Rigby doll. But I didn’t buy it. I got it from Dave and Busters)

Archived