All the cartoons I watched in my childhood (warning, very long read)

Mysecondaccount

If we're going to include The Muppets, and we absolutely should, then it's only fair to mention all of the Gerry Anderson stuff - Thunderbirds, Stingray, and Captain Scarlet were all absolutely brilliant. I didn't catch them first time around, but they were always being repeated on TV.

Not sure I'll ever fully recover from watching Terrahawks though. Zelda was, and still is, terrifying.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:29 AM, drawkcabi said:

The Real Ghostbusters...cartoon based on the 1984 movie. This was, and still is, a great cartoon!!! Until the network mandated it be less scary, the character of Janine to become less caustic and more matronly, Lorenzo Music (Garfield!) be let go as the voice of Venkman and Dave Coulier take over, and more Slimer...lots more Slimer. The show wasn't as good anymore.

I loved that show. The movies were such a disappointment to ~9 year old me. 

21 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The original was a disappointment?

I started with the cartoon and suddenly hear comes this VHS tape telling ,e slmer is a bad guy. It was a disappointment to me. 

I feel like 50% of any episode of Thundarr was that opening and closing theme music.  And that I kept waiting for the episode to begin for some reason it never really did.   Perhaps I was abducted by aliens between.  I don't remember actually seeing any story.

My favourite thing from the 80s cartoon era was Robotech, and you Macross fans can get the hell out of my way.

And here I am, seen literally every Barbie movie and cartoon (three times at least) because I have 2 older sisters. Altough later that changed (my sisters grow up), I can still recall almost every Barbie movie and other cartoons orientated to girls. (Like 70-80% of the cartoons I watched before age 10 was because my sisters wanted it. Not gonna lie, I ended up enjoying a lot of them.)

Now imagine 6 yo me telling the boys about Barbie I saw yesterday. And I was wondering why they just don't care.B)

On 4/6/2021 at 7:36 PM, drawkcabi said:

Casper's First Christmas - Yogi Bear and the gang's (Boo-boo, Huckleberry Hound, Quickdraw McGraw, Snagglepuss, Auggie Doggie and Daddy Doggie) car break down and they take shelter in an abandoned house, only it's not so abandoned because they meet Hairy Scary and Casper.

Ahem.  I beg to differ with you.   It was Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy, not Daddy Doggie.

Please continue . . . 

ETA:  I can never think of He-Man again without getting the instant mental image someone on this site's icon .gif featuring none other pleasuring himself enthusiastically.

Cartoons were much different (as well as animation in general) when I was a kid.

Some of what I can remember were.

Disneys-

Jimminy Cricket, Pinochio, 101 Dalmations, Lady and the Tramp, Fantasia

Others-

Under Dog

Pink Panther ( probably my all-time fave )

Snoopy, Charlie and the Peanuts

The Grinch

Lotr, Hobbit animated Tolkien movies

Bullwinkle

Mr Magoo

Christmas North pole Rudolph specials

Fat Albert

The Globetrotters and Scooby Doo

Jetsons

Flintstones

Land of the Lost

Dahktari, Johnny Quest

Speedracer

Winnie the Pooh

Bernstein Bears

Jungle Book

Dennis the Menace

Quite a few actually, many of these were seasonal animated movies. Animationation was totally different looking before the modern computer generated and digitalized type images you see today.

I much prefer the older cartoons visually, by a wide, wide margin.

Eta: Also loved Daria, Simpson's, Beavis n Butthd and Southpark for more recent fare.

I'm trying to remember the ones I saw. I've extended "childhood" up to about 16 or so:

• Transformers
  • Challenge of the GoBots
  • ThunderCats
  • The Real Ghostbusters
  • Thunderbirds 2086
  • Mysterious Cities of Gold
  • Ulysses 31
  • Duck Tales
  • Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (it was retitled in the UK because the term "ninja" was banned for some reason)
  • SuperTed
  • The Smurfs
  • Inspector Gadget
  • Bananaman
  • Count Duckula
  • Scooby Doo
  • Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers
  • He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
  • She-Ra
  • Danger Mouse
  • Robotech
  • Space Battleship Yamato
  • The Simpsons
  • The Ren & Stimpy Show
  • Beavis & Butt-Head (yeah, we weren't supposed to watch it but we did anyway)
  • Batman: The Animated Series
  • The Tick

Technically not cartoons, but animated in some sense

• The Trap Door
  • Terrahawks
  • Stingray
  • Thunderbirds
  • Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
  • Joe 90
  • Truckers (based on the Pratchett books)
  • Creature Comforts
  • Wallace & Gromit

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The lack of love for DBZ in this thread is offensive! 

In the UK at least we were severely limited to what just four channels were showing (and, for the rich kids, one satellite network). We were fortunate the channels could afford to buy so much US stuff otherwise we'd have been screwed, plus we had some good homegrown stuff.

The only reason I saw Robotech was because I'd read the books and they did a very limited VHS release of the series, and we rented a horribly edited VHS compendium of Yamato episodes from the rental shop. Voltron was also knocking around, though I never got round to seeing it. Thunderbirds 2086 (the UK dub of an anime I think called TechnoVoyager in Japan) was only shown on normal kids' TV to tie in with the Gerry Anderson series. Mysterious Cities of Gold and the batshit insanely glorious Ulysses 31 were French-Japanese coproductions which managed to mix the perfect amount of crazy from both backgrounds.

Otherwise for kid-friendly anime, that was it (everyone sneakily watched Akira when Channel 4 aired it in the early 1990s though). I didn't even heard of Dragon Ball until many years later.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

In the UK at least we were severely limited to what just four channels were showing (and, for the rich kids, one satellite network). We were fortunate the channels could afford to buy so much US stuff otherwise we'd have been screwed, plus we had some good homegrown stuff.

That's fair. It also speaks to some age differences given some of the shows listed. By the time I was a kid in the mid 90's not everyone had cable here in the States, but there were a number of basic channels so you had a few options after school and on Saturday mornings. 

Just to add in some other ones that don’t often get mentioned.. probably because they weren’t very good but I used to love:

Visionaries - mainly because I had some of their toys with hologram chests. The show was bollocks though

Centurions - again loved it because I had a couple of the toys, but really a not very good show

Defenders of the Earth - Was so excited when this came on, thought it was going to be violent and cool. It wasn’t. But it has Flash Gordon and the Phantom

Kissyfur - tragic tale of a bear who gets lost.. . Was rubbish.

The Raccoons - think this was genuinely good at times, odd writing

Chorlton and the wheelies - absolutely fucking terrifying Welsh witch scares the shit out of children

Wizbit- disturbing Paul Daniels plays with a big yellow triangle dude

Batfink - genuinely cool show. I’m sure it holds up!

Archived