US Politics- Enemy at the Gaetz

Fury Resurrected

7 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

In my experience with weird alt-right online Nazis there's this really weird obsession with Greco-Roman architecture. Or rather the shallow as fuck common understanding of what Greco-Roman architecture is.

That’s a new one to me. I don’t get it, unless it is some kind of nod to classical revival styles popular in the 18th and 19th century for plantations. 

The White House was designed by James Hoban, an Irish architect who modeled it after the Leinster House in Dublin.  Hoban also served on the commission that designed the Capitol, along with French architect Stephen Hallet.  So, obviously, this is 220 years past due to keep the Celts and the Francs away from proper Anglo-Saxon architecture.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

The White House was designed by James Hoban, an Irish architect who modeled it after the Leinster House in Dublin.  Hoban also served on the commission that designed the Capitol, along with French architect Stephen Hallet.  So, obviously, this is 220 years past due to keep the Celts and the Francs away from proper Anglo-Saxon architecture.

As I seem to recall from reading the Last Kingdom series. wasn't Anglo-Saxon architecture mud and wattle huts?

12 hours ago, S John said:

WTF is the part about architecture?

Everything is supposed to look like faux greco-latin fantasy, like Monticello, and even the Capitol (which, btw, they were doing their best to destroy).  This is one of previous maga jerkwaddie idiocies.  I think he did or wanted to sign and exec order on this. No public buildings could be erected in any other style. Anything else is ugly and brings down the nation and the founders -- unless, of course, it is the highest edifice ever and covered in gold.

BTW, if anyone ever visits Monticello with the eye of someone who understands how things work -- particularly the eyes of women who cook and clean -- what gimcrackery thing it is.  How truly horribly planned, particularly for women who are constantly pregnant, even when they have slaves to ease the burdens.  The men are all ooing and awing over the dumbwaiter and the underground kitchen all the way on the other side of the dining room, while the women are going side-eye to each other and muttering about 'cold food,' exhausting to-ing and fro-ing.

12 hours ago, S John said:

That’s a new one to me. I don’t get it, unless it is some kind of nod to classical revival styles popular in the 18th and 19th century for plantations. 

As with everything else about the American far right these days, it literally ties back to Nazis. Check out the designs for Germania, which was the planned total rebuild of Berlin that Hitler directed Albert Speer to start planning out. It's filled with comically oversized neo-classical buildings of the exact sort that Trump wanted to enshrine in future US buildings via executive order.

E.g. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzHKeUIVkAQiOn8?format=jpg&name=large

I just watched an interview from Indianapolis of a woman from a Billy Graham ministry grief counseling team, at the FedEx site offering help. The reporter asked her how many times she’d done this and what she says to people. She tells people to remember life is uncertain.

Right, life is uncertain, you never know when you can be gunned down, the grocery store, the movie theatre, the workplace, the mall, walking down the street. Geez Louise, folks, how can you accept this?

And then he said people watching may have gone through the very same grief after a shooting, what would she say to them. “I would remind them that 80% of all people have burdens to bear”.

Hoooooollllleeee crap.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just watched an interview from Indianapolis of a woman from a Billy Graham ministry grief counseling team, at the FedEx site offering help. The reporter asked her how many times she’d done this and what she says to people. She tells people to remember life is uncertain.

Right, life is uncertain, you never know when you can be gunned down, the grocery store, the movie theatre, the workplace, the mall, walking down the street. Geez Louise, folks, how can you accept this?

And then he said people watching may have gone through the very same grief after a shooting, what would she say to them. “I would remind them that 80% of all people have burdens to bear”.

Hoooooollllleeee crap.

This is so gross!

Most of the "Alt Right" types I've been exposed to while building, can neither find the bubble on a level, shoot a laser, use a square nor read a tape measure.

So they can listen to Maxine Waters and shut their stinking mouths about buildings as well as politics. :D

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I think it means we’re supposed to get ready for a lot more motte-and-baileys.

I think that's the kind of insidious Norman architecture the Anglo Saxon caucus is trying to defend you from.

To be fair I can see where they're coming from. I'm all for a multicultural society but someone needs to take a stand and say the cultural imperialism of the Normans needs to stop.

31 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think that's the kind of insidious Norman architecture the Anglo Saxon caucus is trying to defend you from.

To be fair I can see where they're coming from. I'm all for a multicultural society but someone needs to take a stand and say the cultural imperialism of the Normans needs to stop.

Soooo...my plan to bring the stylings of the Kievan Rus to public architecture will be foiled again?

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I knew my backyard trebuchet was going to be a wise investment.

Needless addition.

Despite social distancing rules, this is still not a recommend way to get your kids to school (or kindergarten).

Archived