US Politics- Enemy at the Gaetz

Fury Resurrected

We do call it NYC, at least when talking to people who live neither in NY or NYC.  Shyte, our public radio station's call letters are W-NYC.

We still call Manhattan, 'the City," though a lot less than in the past.

This is not the same meaning of "City" as in in London, which means Lombard Street and the finance-banking district going back at least to the 19th Century.

Oh look, Ben Carson is showing up on CNBC to attack the Georgia...wait...no. He’s there to attack Delta Airlines and to call Biden a liar.

Oh, what hypocrites! Delta has votes too and has rules! They close voting lists at the end of April for a vote in June! Hypocrites! Hypocrites!

18 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

my hazy memory tells me we have a poster or three somewhere near this place.  depressingly, many of the FB comments favor the police, accusing the media of deliberately fueling the strife as part of the democratic agenda.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/police-in-minnesota-round-up-journalists-covering-protest-force-them-on-the-ground-and-take-pictures-of-their-faces/ar-BB1fLgmf?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR2JDIkjecuoy7Rydp86Ti5lv5cALSHKH5kiO4yLYdMwwL0oEcODa9fWAEw

This shit is happening in my old backyard.  There were big protests at a few of the neighboring cities as well.  The one I lived in didn't have a single black police officer despite the town being ~40% minorities.  They have one woman, one asian guy, and one latino guy - the rest are all white dudes.  A few years ago the last black police officer and his partner criticized the police chief for their overt racism and lack of diversity on the police force.  The two of them were put on paid administrative leave for 3 years.  They eventually got an undisclosed settlement.

The policing in these areas is just as bad as Minneapolis (or worse).  They have a foundation in overt racism, bullying, and violence - none of which can be dealt with because the unions are so powerful.

Some police stats if the site let's me paste them-

American police kill civilians at incredibly high rates:

chart comparing the rates of police killings in the U.S. with 9 other wealthy nations. The U.S. rate of 33.5 per 10 million people is over 3 times higher than the next-highest rate, which is 9.8 per 10 million people in Canada

The chart above compares the annual rates of police killings in each country, accounting for differences in population size. This is the most apples-to-apples comparison we can make with this data.

Eta: welp the site isn't letting me show you unfortunately. Anywho American police Do kill us at an inordinately higher rate than in other developed nations. It not just our imagination or sensational headlines.

Tis shame it won't let me post the shocking chart that shows it though.

Manchin announced he is co-sponsoring the PRO Act today, which is the big union bill that the House passed earlier this year (among other things it abolishes right-to-work laws nationwide). It's subject to the filibuster, so this will be the first true test of how far he's willing to go to get laws he wants passed (he still hasn't signed on to the voting rights bill).

17 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Maxine Waters showed up yesterday night at protests for Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center. She is having such a sassy week and I am HERE FOR IT

I'm not sure her presence is a good thing. It's not a great look for her to be saying that people need to take to the streets and get confrontational given we're just a few months removed from 1/6. What she's doing is obviously not in the same realm as what happened in DC on that day, but the right will spin it as such and a lot of low information citizens will probably buy it.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure her presence is a good thing. It's not a great look for her to be saying that people need to take to the streets and get confrontational given we're just a few months removed from 1/6. What she's doing is obviously not in the same realm as what happened in DC on that day, but the right will spin it as such and a lot of low information citizens will probably buy it.

Those people would buy any negative thing said, so it doesn’t make sense to worry about them. Waters is not incorrect in that statement and it’s important that someone in government show up for these actions

9 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Those people would buy any negative thing said, so it doesn’t make sense to worry about them. Waters is not incorrect in that statement and it’s important that someone in government show up for these actions

Pelosi is defending her. I don't think she'd be doing that if she thought it was bad politics.

Pelosi defends Rep. Maxine Waters over her ‘get more confrontational’ remark to protesters
The House speaker's defense comes amid GOP criticism of Waters, who they say incited violence with her comment.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/19/pelosi-defends-maxine-waters-483126

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi came to Rep. Maxine Waters’ defense on Monday, after criticism of remarks she made over the weekend in Minnesota that Republican lawmakers said stoked further violence.

“No, absolutely not,” Pelosi said in response to a question about whether Waters (D-Calif.) incited violence with her comments. She added that there was no need for Waters to apologize.

On Saturday, Waters told demonstrators in Brooklyn Center, Minn., where Daunte Wright was killed by a police officer last week, “to stay on the street” and “to get more confrontational.” Her remarks came ahead of closing arguments on Monday in the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer who is charged with murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd.

“Maxine talked about confrontation in the manner of the civil rights movement,” Pelosi said. “I myself think we should take our lead from the George Floyd family. They’ve handled this with great dignity.”

11 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Pelosi is defending her. I don't think she'd be doing that if she thought it was bad politics.

Pelosi defends Rep. Maxine Waters over her ‘get more confrontational’ remark to protesters
The House speaker's defense comes amid GOP criticism of Waters, who they say incited violence with her comment.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/19/pelosi-defends-maxine-waters-483126

Good. The last thing we need to be doing is whitesplaining what Maxine Waters should be saying with regards to civil rights

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Sure they would, but this actually gives them something semi-concreate to point at and it’s not surprising at all that the right wing media jumped on it. Whether Waters is right or not in a vacuum is difficult to say, because yes the spirit of what she was saying is correct, but she also unnecessarily dumped gasoline on an already delicate situation. If Chauvin is acquitted we all know there will be bad riots and Republicans will absolutely argue that she incited violence and it will put Democrats on the defensive.

54 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Good. The last thing we need to be doing is whitesplaining what Maxine Waters should be saying with regards to civil rights

At the same, its important to acknowledge when its not being helpful...

Fleets of cop helicopters' roar groan all over my local skies, invading my inside personal space.  Cops began gathering in numbers on the streets here around noon.  I hear on the radio some white person say "We have to do this preparation all across the country because whatever the Chauvin verdict there will violent protests."  It's like the media has designated this already as Riot Day.  And why does the media believe there will be a verdict announced tonight?  Why not tomorrow, or later, which seems more likely than tonight.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

It's like the media has designated this already as Riot Day.  And why does the media believe there will be a verdict announced tonight?  Why not tomorrow, or later, which seems more likely than tonight.

Because they are expecting a Not Guilty verdict pretty quickly.

I don't have a television (or iphone), and I don't twitter, and I don't do FB, or Yahoo, etc. news updates either.  So I missed what the majority media is saying.* CNN online isn't saying that? 

* Honestly, my life is better.  I'm riled up so much all the time as it is.

Pelosi and the Dems et al. should absolutely stand behind Waters.  The fact McCarthy is introducing a censure resolution over the comments is an are-you-fucking-serious?!? absurdity.  By all means, let the GOP overplay their hand and demonstrate the ludicrous hypocrisy of the House Republican Conference accusing *Waters* of inciting violence.  By linking the protests to the CRM, no less.

As for the judge, he was mostly complaining about separation of powers with elected officials' commenting on cases.  Which, ok, whatever.  Not to mention the statement ranks probably in the ten thousands on most "inflammatory" comments Waters has made over her career.  I want all my daughters to be like Maxine Waters.  

Archived