US Politics- Enemy at the Gaetz

Fury Resurrected

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Honestly what I’m expecting and dreading.

Just getting sick thinking about it.

I'm not. Not sure how much of the trial you've seen, but it's wall to wall coverage here in the Twin Cities. The prosecution has laid out a rather devastating case while the defense has been feeble. Any juror that could side with their arguments was always going to do so from the jump, so you just have to trust that the prosecution did a good job of weeding those types out. What I'd be more worried about is the two murder charges not sticking, but he's found guilty of manslaughter and we still see widespread protests that turn into riots.  

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not. Not sure how much of the trial you've seen, but it's wall to wall coverage here in the Twin Cities. The prosecution has laid out a rather devastating case while the defense has been feeble. Any juror that could side with their arguments was always going to do so from the jump, so you just have to trust that the prosecution did a good job of weeding those types out. What I'd be more worried about is the two murder charges not sticking, but he's found guilty of manslaughter and we still see widespread protests that turn into riots.  

I have watched the trial and I do think the prosecution’s case was strong.

I also thought the same thing about Trayvon martin and a litany of other black people who were murdered by police and got no justice.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Because they are expecting a Not Guilty verdict pretty quickly.

We’re bracing for it. While the prosecution laid out their case really well and the defense was completely absurd, that doesn’t mean a mostly white jury (comprised of people who claim to not know much about the case!!) won’t find him not guilty by virtue of being an on duty police officer regardless of anything else. I wouldn’t be surprised about a mistrial or an outright acquittal. My pessimistic expectation is that he will be convicted of manslaughter and perhaps even murder 3, but probably not murder 2. And that will not be good enough, especially considering Daunte Wright. I think we should also expect to see some bad nights when the tax evasion case rolls around if he gets more time for that than for killing a man in broad daylight on a main thoroughfare.

6 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

We’re bracing for it. While the prosecution laid out their case really well and the defense was completely absurd, that doesn’t mean a mostly white jury (comprised of people who claim to not know much about the case!!) won’t find him not guilty by virtue of being an on duty police officer regardless of anything else. I wouldn’t be surprised about a mistrial or an outright acquittal. My pessimistic expectation is that he will be convicted of manslaughter and perhaps even murder 3, but probably not murder 2. And that will not be good enough, especially considering Daunte Wright. I think we should also expect to see some bad nights when the tax evasion case rolls around if he gets more time for that than for killing a man in broad daylight on a main thoroughfare.

Ah. That’s my optimistic expectation. Least that would be something.

15 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I have watched the trial and I do think the prosecution’s case was strong.

I also thought the same thing about Trayvon martin and a litany of other black people who were murdered by police and got no justice.

I didn't think Zimmerman would be found guilty, but that's specific to FL state law. As to there being no justice when police commit extrajudicial murders, this case is different because his own fellow local officers are testifying against him. I don't recall seeing that in any of the other high profile policing shootings of an unarmed minority.

14 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I'd brace yourself for Potter getting a slap on the wrist, especially if Chauvin is found guilty and gets a harsh sentence.

31 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

starting to wonder if agents provocateurs are being imported into the Twin Cities....

That was the case last year and I’m sure it’s the case now. I saw more out of state plates (and more ominous ones with no plates at all) than than during the fucking Super Bowl 

Archived