US Politics- Enemy at the Gaetz

Fury Resurrected

I'm not tech savvy enough to really understand what it means, but it seems like SCOTUS just ruled to expand fair use laws in some way: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/18-956_d18f.pdf

Oracle America, Inc., owns a copyright in Java SE, a computer platform that uses the popular Java computer programming language. In 2005, Google acquired Android and sought to build a new software platform for mobile devices. To allow the millions of programmers familiar with the Java programming language to work with its new Android platform, Google copied roughly 11,500 lines of code from the Java SE program. The copied lines are part of a tool called an Application Programming Interface (API). An API allows programmers to call upon prewritten computing tasks for use in their own programs. Over the course of protracted litigation, the lower courts have considered (1) whether Java SE’s owner could copyright the copied lines from the API, and (2) if so, whether Google’s copying constituted a permissible “fair use” of that material freeing Google from copyright liability. In the proceedings below, the Federal Circuit held that the copied lines are copyrightable. After a jury then found for Google on fair use, the Federal Circuit reversed, concluding that Google’s copying was not a fair use as a matter of law. Prior to remand for a trial on damages, the Court agreed to review the Federal Circuit’s determinations as to both copyrightability and fair use.

Held: Google’s copying of the Java SE API, which included only those lines of code that were needed to allow programmers to put their accrued talents to work in a new and transformative program, was a fair use of that material as a matter of law. Pp. 11–36

It was a 6-2 decision (Barrett was not involved since the oral argument happened before she was on the court). Thomas and Alito were the dissenting justices.

Watching Ted Cruz and others come after Coke for speaking out against the Georgia voter law...everyone in Trumpworld trying to cancel Coke...I'm really needing Pepsi to make a statement just because and then those morons will be left with nothing but RC Cola...

3 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm not tech savvy enough to really understand what it means, but it seems like SCOTUS just ruled to expand fair use laws in some way: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/18-956_d18f.pdf

It was a 6-2 decision (Barrett was not involved since the oral argument happened before she was on the court). Thomas and Alito were the dissenting justices.

Good ruling. The repurcussions of an Oracle win would have been pretty bad - copyrighting APIs which, by their nature, ought to be open.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/04/supreme-court-sides-with-google-in-api-copyright-battle-with-oracle/

Somewhat surprising move...

Possibly Walmart execs told him this was bad for business. Although, Arkansas is one of those weird states that lets the legislature override a veto with a simple majority, so this might not end up changing anything.

57 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Watching Ted Cruz and others come after Coke for speaking out against the Georgia voter law...veryone in Trumpworld trying to cancel Coke...I'm really needing Pepsi to make a statement just because and then those morons will be left with nothing but RC Cola...

Were you expecting consistency? I like McConnell saying corporations and CEOs need to stay out of politics while happily asking them for money. 

Shocking that a party that's not serious in governing has wildly hypocritical members. 

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

Possibly Walmart execs told him this was bad for business. Although, Arkansas is one of those weird states that lets the legislature override a veto with a simple majority, so this might not end up changing anything.

I've never understood the logic of this kind of system. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've never understood the logic of this kind of system. 

Some states like weaker governors than others. I agree that its pretty dumb though, and can result in the governor mostly becoming a figurehead.

The odd thing is that the 6 states that allow simple majority overrides are all contiguous: it's Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, West Virginia, and Indiana. Meanwhile, the 8 states that only require 3/5ths instead of 2/3rds almost all border those states. Not sure if its a coincidence or if it was some sort of regional movement at some point.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Some states like weaker governors than others. I agree that its pretty dumb though, and can result in the governor mostly becoming a figurehead.

What's really annoying about it is if you want to do a comparative study on vetoes.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Watching Ted Cruz and others come after Coke for speaking out against the Georgia voter law...veryone in Trumpworld trying to cancel Coke...I'm really needing Pepsi to make a statement just because and then those morons will be left with nothing but RC Cola...

Dr Pepper should say something, too, especially since they're from Texas, and that way these characters will also boycott (college) football again. They already hate Keurig, if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

those morons will be left with nothing but RC Cola...

In even the recent past, i.e. the last time I lived there, back in 2004-06, RC Cola was by far the popular brand in the southern red states, much more so than Coca Cola and certainly more so than Pepsi.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

In even the recent past, i.e. the last time I lived there, back in 2004-06, RC Cola was by far the popular brand in the southern red states, much more so than Coca Cola and certainly more so than Pepsi.

No.  That is simply fake news.

Cheney snags victories ahead of her next battle with Trumpworld
Just two months after she survived an ouster attempt, the No. 3 House Republican has racked up a string of wins.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/05/liz-cheney-battle-trumpworld-479021

Rep. Liz Cheney took on the Trump wing of her party and survived its attempt to politically kneecap her. But it's only the beginning of what looks like a yearslong fight for her place in the GOP.

The Wyoming Republican became Trumpworld's public enemy No. 1 this year after her vote to impeach the former president, jeopardizing her career and leadership job. Since then, though, Cheney has racked up a string of wins that put her on more solid footing in the party — starting with her easy victory over a conservative-led effort to oust her as House GOP conference chair.

Her triumphs continued late last month, when the Wyoming state legislature rejected a measure endorsed by Donald Trump Jr. that could have made it harder for Cheney to prevail in what's likely to be a crowded primary field. Big names in the GOP establishment, such as former Speakers John Boehner and Paul Ryan, are lining up to help her stockpile cash. And a sex trafficking probe that threatens to take down one of her chief critics, MAGA-loving Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), also gives Cheney some vindication — even inspiring viral memes about her reveling in her foe's fall.

“I don’t know that Cheney would characterize it as a winning streak. She's just a fighter,” said Amy Edmonds, a former Cheney staffer and former Wyoming state legislator.

That perspective may serve Cheney well, since her challenges are far from over. She still has to lock down her party’s endorsement in the deep red state of Wyoming next August, leaving plenty of time for pro-Trump forces to mobilize against her — though she's likely to benefit from multiple pro-Trump candidates competing for the same lane. If Cheney can hang on to her House seat, however, her ability to climb the leadership ranks may still be hamstrung by her vote against a former president who's said to be obsessed with taking down the Republicans who helped impeach him.

“She’s been out there talking to folks [in the state]. Sometimes people are not happy," Edmonds added, "but she does not, and never will, regret that vote” against former President Donald Trump.

Once a fast-rising star in the GOP, Cheney was in the mix as a future speaker; she even passed up a Senate bid last year to seek her political fortunes in the House. Now several Republicans think Cheney will struggle to clinch their No. 3 House leadership spot again next year, when she will almost certainly face a challenge for the job.

“Definitely no,” said Rep. Warren Davidson (R-Ohio), who backed February's unsuccessful effort to boot Cheney from leadership. “Doubt she wins Wyoming.”

3 hours ago, Fez said:

That was my thought as well given. It makes you wonder why they even bothered to give the governor the veto pen.

The odd thing is that the 6 states that allow simple majority overrides are all contiguous: it's Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, West Virginia, and Indiana. Meanwhile, the 8 states that only require 3/5ths instead of 2/3rds almost all border those states. Not sure if its a coincidence or if it was some sort of regional movement at some point.

Could have something to do with the time in which statehood was achieved as well, but that's just a guess.

6 hours ago, Week said:

Good ruling. The repurcussions of an Oracle win would have been pretty bad - copyrighting APIs which, by their nature, ought to be open.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/04/supreme-court-sides-with-google-in-api-copyright-battle-with-oracle/

I always have to wonder how we are still going to lose when one corporate beats another in a legal stoush that appears to come out on the side of the people. But on the face of it, yes, this is good news on fair use. Now we just need to get the music industry brought to heel on it's abuse of copyright vs fair use.

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Watching Ted Cruz and others come after Coke for speaking out against the Georgia voter law...everyone in Trumpworld trying to cancel Coke...I'm really needing Pepsi to make a statement just because and then those morons will be left with nothing but RC Cola...

19 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Most of his base is so envious of the wealthy that they think by worshipping them (wealthy) some of their fortune will rub off on them (his base).

It's part of their religion.

Eta: Hitler had his brownshirts, Trump has his brown nosers.

One of my daydreams since about 2015 has been for random blue collar Trump supporters to have to mentor Trump at their job for one week.

I’ll bet there wouldn’t be many who supported him after that. dude wouldn’t last a fucking day on a Texas oil rig or in a West Virginia coal mine. Hell, I doubt he’d make it a week in retail or service industry either.

Reconciliation 2.0?  End run around the filibuster?  And who is this Senate Parliamentarian?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dems-can-use-unprecedented-move-for-an-extra-filibuster-proof-bill-schumer-aide-says/ar-BB1fknSO?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR0WUS6kb5STD6t88gOpEkS-DaNPxrG2by8I1-oZlaAI_aXlY5NLAsWCJhs

The interpretation of the ruling from the Senate parliamentarian, the upper chamber’s official adviser on procedural matters, could give Democrats significantly more opportunities to push their legislative priorities past a filibuster. But the procedural leeway of using the budget process to make that happen may not be a panacea for the majority party: All 50 Democratic senators will have to go along with the approach, which moderates like Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) have advised against using a second time.

A Democratic aide familiar with the ruling said the parliamentarian's feedback is "a good first step." However, the aide added, "we still have to work out the details."

The decision, as read by Schumer's office, represents a major expansion of the reconciliation process that allows passage of some bills with a simple Senate majority. That stretch of reconciliation empowers any party in full control of Washington to theoretically use the tool as often as they want, if Schumer decides to follow through on using the budget process to pass legislation like Biden’s infrastructure plan or an immigration overhaul, which he has not yet done.

12 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

And who is this Senate Parliamentarian?

Elizabeth MacDonough.  Anyway, a bit surprised she agreed with Schumer's interpretation.  This isn't that big a deal - as Sanders said, it gives them flexibility, but if she ruled the other way they always could've just put everything into one big package in October.  Where it could bear fruit is down the road - conceivably this should free up next FY if they wanna do anything before the midterms.

17 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Watching Ted Cruz and others come after Coke for speaking out against the Georgia voter law...everyone in Trumpworld trying to cancel Coke...

No, you see, when the right wing cancels something it's called boycotting, and that is totally legit.

When the left wing boycotts something that's called cancelling, and it's the most evil and heinous thing ever.

You gotta know these little nuances. Kind of like how the US military and the world's largest prison population aren't "big government" but food stamps for kids is.

Just add it to the list of things the American right wing has tried to cancel since the 80s-early 90s, along with heavy metal, hip-hop, comic books, video games, Dungeons and Dragons, baggy jeans, gay people, trans people, Harry Potter, french fries, the Dixie Chicks, vegetables, pretty much any leftist comedian (Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Sam Bee, Colbert, Michelle Wolf, etc.) Keurig, Nike, Colin Kaepernick, Black Lives Matter, Dick's Sporting Goods, Disney, the NFL, and MLB. (Note: this is by no means a full list, just some things I could think of off the top of my head. Feel free to add to it if you like.)

One has only to look at their current hate list: https://i.imgur.com/RBpO0HD.jpg

Or their fearless cancelling leader: https://i.imgur.com/NLyvCjR.jpg

Archived