US Politics- Enemy at the Gaetz

Fury Resurrected

13 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Jesus, why can't he just get a job with the Heritage Foundation or some other job mill for useless right wing failsons?

A whole lotta failed rethugs seem to believe their phony reality construct in which all the grifting incompetent evil toxic jerkwaddies can swagger about and do whatever and say whatever with impunity and immunity is still in play.  After all, doncha know, Biden didn't win the election. Yet, you know, in spite of all that, as perhaps a few jerkwaddies are finally figuring out, in the end reality always bites like Jaws.  Doesn't it?  I sure hope so!

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

The analysis you reference is basically wrong.  I put responses in-line in bold.

That goes to show you how wrong the CNBC report was. They did talk about GILTI (which is a hilarious acronym). Thanks for the corrections! I think when you try to simplify complex tax concepts for tv viewers a lot gets lost in translation. And of course I know nothing about US tax law.

They were specifically talking about Amazon, which is why I said Amazon and not “all corporations”.

But VAT isn’t comparable to the US foreign earnings tax, is it? I’ve always assumed the HST is very similar to the VAT, with manufacturers being able to get the tax paid refunded as it gets passed up the chain to the eventual consumer. And at numerous times in the past I’ve heard US politicians attack Canada’s HST as being very unfair to American companies. 

I did read that the Biden tax proposal was going to broaden the income the foreign tax would apply to.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

I agree with this in principle, but Wolf is not particularly popular in his own state.  I haven't seen anything since, but his approval on handling covid dropped below 50% in the fall.  I don't know much about Evers but he strikes me as pretty blah.  He barely beat a deeply unpopular governor running for a third term in a very advantageous cycle - and it doesn't look like he's built up popularity with incumbency either.

Evers really has struggled because he's not had control of the legislature or the courts.  Honestly, I like the guy, and I think he's done as fine a job as any during Covid under those conditions.

Nothing he's done though screams desire to go national...but who knows...

But isn't this discussion, theoretical or not, premature by about 6 months?  Get the infrastructure bill done and see where the chips lay after with how Pete and others implement it.  Feels like bones are there to be made with it, and the voting rights bills...

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

But isn't this discussion, theoretical or not, premature by about 6 months?

I mean, of course.  I'd say it's premature until after the midterms.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Talk about NYers between Scylla and Charybdis:

"Andrew Giuliani: I Plan to Run Against New York Governor Andrew Cuomo in 2022"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/andrew-giuliani-says-he-plans-to-run-against-new-york-governor-andrew-cuomo-in-2022

The only person who has a less chance of election than Cuomo has of re-election.

Eh, I doubt it. Cuomo will never bow out gracefully because of his obsession with power and especially because he  sees a spot atop the NYS political system as part of his identity and purpose in life, but I sincerely doubt that any Republican is getting elected in a statewide race in New York until the Trump years have faded in our memory.

People have loathed Cuomo for as long as he’s been on the scene. He’s never been popular. But if he’s on the ballot vs a Republican, I wouldn’t bet against the prick.

34 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Cuomo might have some time to spare in '24. :leaving:

You can recruit that Kennedy kid, who failed to win his Senate primary.

Otherwise, maybe you find someone you like in Obama's cabinet.

Cuomo and Kennedy are both really bad choices as far as I’m concerned. Cuomo in particular would be disastrous, both for the campaign and for the country if he ever actually got his grubby hands on the levers of national power.

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

Other than Castro and Rice (who obviously wouldn't go with Harris), there's not much there either.

I agree with this in principle, but Wolf is not particularly popular in his own state.  I haven't seen anything since, but his approval on handling covid dropped below 50% in the fall.  I don't know much about Evers but he strikes me as pretty blah.  He barely beat a deeply unpopular governor running for a third term in a very advantageous cycle - and it doesn't look like he's built up popularity with incumbency either.

Regarding Wolf, does his popularity in handling COVID really matter in a state that’s almost an even split with Republicans? A Democrat doing anything besides immediately opening up for business and threatening everyone who wore a mask with a gun would be despised among Republicans. And a Democrat who did would immediately be turned on by Republican voters anyway, because their whole belief system right now boils down to “Fuck the libs.”

Besides, I think the rumor is that the future (potential) political star in PA is the Lt. Governor, Fetterman. At the very least he seems to be becoming a bit of an online star/sensation, although I haven’t been following it closely.

56 minutes ago, DMC said:

As for the mentioning of Tom Wolf or John Bel Edwards - this is my problem.  They are very much boring white guys that I don't think bring anything to the table and I think that type of conventional wisdom is outdated.

Does Tester do anything for ya? Feingold could be a fun pick if he retakes the seat in '22.

1 hour ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

It's really something, and I'm not trying to attack you here, that in 2021 you can say someone can't get any whiter than a Jewish son of Polish immigrants. Imagine telling his parents that in the 40s!

It's complicated, but society would first view Bernie as white, not Jewish, except for those who are blatantly anti-Semitic. 

4 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

But if he’s on the ballot vs a Republican, I wouldn’t bet against the prick.

Cuomo and Kennedy are both really bad choices as far as I’m concerned.

That's what I said, at least sort of -- Andy's the only guy with less of a chance to be elected.  He's probably not the only rethug that can't get elected against Cuomo, but there are others, and very well funded and very nasty and experienced too.   Also idiot Dems.  Argh!

Also that suggestion about Cuomo and Kennedy? as the emoji underlined, was sarcasm on the part of @Horse Named Stranger:cheers:  At least I thought so!

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That goes to show you how wrong the CNBC report was. They did talk about GILTI (which is a hilarious acronym). Thanks for the corrections! I think when you try to simplify complex tax concepts for tv viewers a lot gets lost in translation. And of course I know nothing about US tax law.

They were specifically talking about Amazon, which is why I said Amazon and not “all corporations”.

But VAT isn’t comparable to the US foreign earnings tax, is it? I’ve always assumed the HST is very similar to the VAT, with manufacturers being able to get the tax paid refunded as it gets passed up the chain to the eventual consumer. And at numerous times in the past I’ve heard US politicians attack Canada’s HST as being very unfair to American companies. 

I did read that the Biden tax proposal was going to broaden the income the foreign tax would apply to.

Yeah, GILTI and BEAT.  Can’t make this stuff up (also FDII, but that’s not as fun, sadly).  

Sorry I was unclear on VAT.  VAT is very similar to GST/HST.  We don’t have it.  My point was that while we do purport to tax worldwide income (and there are historical reasons for this), we don’t tax consumption in the same way that other countries do.  So if you think about it from a broader global perspective, what we are really trying to do is to get a share of revenue from our export of iP, functionally.  Other countries tax consumption much more heavily but it sort of makes sense historically.  Other countries now are eyeing significant digital services taxes - same kind of idea.  

4 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Regarding Wolf, does his popularity in handling COVID really matter in a state that’s almost an even split with Republicans?

Not specifically no, but it's an indicator that his general approval is under 50, which means any "advantage" he give you in winning PA is essentially negated.

As for Fetterman, yes, I think he will run for national office one day.  I just think 2024 is too soon, and I don't like the match with him on the ticket with Harris.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Does Tester do anything for ya? Feingold could be a fun pick if he retakes the seat in '22.

Not really on Tester.  Rather have him try to keep his seat.  I did consider Feingold but his detailed history of losing statewide in Wisconsin is pretty deflating.  It doesn't look like he's gonna try for Round 3 next year either.

I find it quite amusing how many things Castro should do within the next four years.

Unseat Teddy Boy. Win Governorship in Texas, and be Harris running mate. Maybe there's a third Castro brother, so we can spread out their duties a bit more.

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Yeah, GILTI and BEAT.  Can’t make this stuff up (also FDII, but that’s not as fun, sadly).  

Sorry I was unclear on VAT.  VAT is very similar to GST/HST.  We don’t have it.  My point was that while we do purport to tax worldwide income (and there are historical reasons for this), we don’t tax consumption in the same way that other countries do.  So if you think about it from a broader global perspective, what we are really trying to do is to get a share of revenue from our export of iP, functionally.  Other countries tax consumption much more heavily but it sort of makes sense historically.  Other countries now are eyeing significant digital services taxes - same kind of idea.  

Last week in the previous thread, I think, someone talked about the corporate tax rate going up and the US being uncompetitive with other countries. I don’t know if you saw my comment, but I said well then, just introduce a VAT in the US and you can lower the taxes! How about a 25% VAT?

It drives me insane when I watch CNBC or CNN or some news program and I listen to politicians trying to compare apples and oranges and they never, ever, ever mention value added taxes other countries have. I am fuzzy about the federal/state taxation powers, could there ever be a VAT in the US? I assume it would be so antithetical to the US psyche it would never happen, but is it even possible?

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not really on Tester.  Rather have him try to keep his seat.  I did consider Feingold but his detailed history of losing statewide in Wisconsin is pretty deflating.  It doesn't look like he's gonna try for Round 3 next year either.

Protecting his seat is why she wouldn't pick him, but I do think overall he kind of fits what you'd be looking for if your goal is to balance the ticket out.  Frankly though, count me as another who be happy with Castro, and I think it would be a popular pick across the ideological spectrum. 

Also, thought I heard Russ was going to run again, but I'll take your word on it. Still can't believe a good person like him lost twice to that piece of shit Ron Johnson, who is now just being an open racist.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Protecting his seat is why she wouldn't pick him, but I do think overall he kind of fits what you'd be looking for if your goal is to balance the ticket out.

I don't think Tester really brings much to the table.  It's not like Harris is gonna win Montana with him - and even if she did, it's still only (a projected) 4 electoral votes.  Does he help you with midwestern voters?  I guess it's possible but that's entirely theoretical and I don't think his appeal necessarily translates.  Does he help you in AZ and NV?  I don't think so, or at least I think Castro would help much more.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

So I had a random thought/hypothetical this morning that I just couldn't stop thinking about, figured I'd seek help (albeit probably not the right kind).  The hypothetical - and I'm not interested at all in arguing how possible it is etc. - if Kamala Harris is the nominee in 2024, who is her running mate?

My first thought is it's gotta be a male.  And conventional wisdom would say a white male.  And this is where it got..interesting for me.  I cannot come up with a white male candidate that isn't, well, a boring white male candidate.  First I considered incumbent governors, and nope.  Boring or worse (e.g. Northam, Pritzker).  Andy Beshear is kinda interesting, but I think you need a little more experience than that.  Then I turned to the Senate, and it's arguably any worse.  Other than Ossoff (who is a no for me), every white guy in the upper chamber would be as boring a VP candidate as Tim Kaine - including Tim Kaine.  Even the House, I came up with basically bupkis.

Other than Pete (bleh), there ain't much from the Cabinet either.  It really is a sad state of affairs for my people (as in white males).  I guess this is what happens when most of them go off to make their own fascist party.  There is, of course, Fetterman, but I don't that'd mesh well as a ticket either.  So, in terms of my white male choices, I'm going Ed Markey from the Senate and Andy Levin from the House.  Markey may be boring and very old, but he'd appease the leftists.  Levin is a good blue collar type guy (he's obviously not actually blue collar) for the midwest that I think would also make a good attack dog.  Sherrod Brown is an obvious choice here too, but I just can't see that raspy voice running for national office.

My dream choice?  Julian Castro.  Since this is my hypothetical, I'm imagining he defeats Abbott next year for Texas governor.  That'd be a pretty awesome ticket.  My female choice?  Tammy Baldwin.  

Anyway, thoughts?  Choices?

There’s plenty of Castros to go around, Texas can have Joaquin and we can have Julían

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Last week in the previous thread, I think, someone talked about the corporate tax rate going up and the US being uncompetitive with other countries. I don’t know if you saw my comment, but I said well then, just introduce a VAT in the US and you can lower the taxes! How about a 25% VAT?

It drives me insane when I watch CNBC or CNN or some news program and I listen to politicians trying to compare apples and oranges and they never, ever, ever mention value added taxes other countries have. I am fuzzy about the federal/state taxation powers, could there ever be a VAT in the US? I assume it would be so antithetical to the US psyche it would never happen, but is it even possible?

We could have a national VAT.  The problem is that we have a well-established sales tax regime in the country (that isn’t a VAT regime) and so if we did it, it would crowd out a lot of states’ prime/sole source of revenue.  Also, from a policy perspective, I’m not a huge fan of consumption taxes.  I know why they exist, but they tend to be very regressive (despite Byzantine exceptions for certain kinds of goods) and are very complex (including the crediting regime).  

From a corporate income tax perspective, we are uncompetitive.  VAT gets passed on to the end-consumer most of the time (because of the credits).  Corporate tax only does theoretically (there’s tons of academic scholarship on this point - all inconclusive).    But there’s a reason why inversions were popular, and there’s a reason that if I have a choice, I don’t bring stuff on-shore.  I mean, I even prefer Canada (which is awful for different reasons) or, perish the thought, Germany (the tax system there is...dare I say...more Byzantine than the US?).  

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I find it quite amusing how many things Castro should do within the next four years.

Unseat Teddy Boy. Win Governorship in Texas, and be Harris running mate. Maybe there's a third Castro brother, so we can spread out their duties a bit more.

2 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

There’s plenty of Castros to go around, Texas can have Joaquin and we can have Julían

I think Julian should run for governor next year and Joaquin should challenge Ted in 2024.  It seems like a natural split - Julian the executive and Joaquin the legislator.

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Also, from a policy perspective, I’m not a huge fan of consumption taxes.  I know why they exist, but they tend to be very regressive

Yeah I'm not a big fan of VAT due to its inherently regressive nature.

Remember when we were talking about Mitch McConnell’s dreadful looking hand? I said that it looked pretty bad and he might be suffering from a serious illness, while other people thought he was only bruised from an injection or something?

Apparently there are comments popping up on the internet that he’s lost a lot of weight now. Doesn’t sound good to me.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I think Julian should run for governor next year and Joaquin should challenge Ted in 2024.  It seems like a natural split - Julian the executive and Joaquin the legislator.

I think that depends whether you think Senator or Governor is a better pathway to the presidency. Because I’d love to see Julían in the White House 

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I think that depends whether you think Senator or Governor is a better pathway to the presidency. Because I’d love to see Julían in the White House 

Before Obama the widespread assumption was governor.  Talking heads questioned if a Senator/MC could ever get elected president again.  Obviously that was overdoing it, but I still think it's governor.  Especially Governor of Texas.  That's one of the most powerful elected offices in the country.  And yeah, Julian is clearly the more presidential of the two IMO.  Joaquin can show Cruz how to properly be a bearded Senator.

Archived