Bran, the Lord of the Dark

Bran has begun to prefer the dark. He likes to watch without being seen.  He is bound to the weirwood tree.  Bran will be strong during the long night because some of the strongest trees grow in the dark.  I presume human blood keeps them alive without the need for photosynthesis.   

In my last topic, "Daenerys is Azor Ahai Reborn," I said Daenerys is the Maiden-Made-Of-Light.  I am now saying the Lion of Night is Bran.  Time is circular and history repeats but not exactly.  Bran is the Wolf of the Night.  Daenerys is Azor Ahai. 

Bran will control the wights and send them to destroy the people who opposed the Starks.  The Red Wedding and Jon's execution could be seen as betrayals from the eyes of a Stark.  This is the blood betrayal all over again from Bran's perspective.  The Lion of the Night's reaction to the blood betrayal was extreme and almost childish.  To send minions which could destroy all life because of a betrayal is extreme and reckless.  It is what an angry child would do.  The Others and the wights have not attacked the Wall.  They may not have the magic to breach the Wall.  Bran will let them in.

Daenerys saw the red wedding in one of her moments at the House Of The Undying.  Robb's corpse was pleading for justice.  It is important for her to see this, so she will know the reason for Bran setting the wights against Westeros.  A treaty will surely involve turning over some Stark enemies to relieve Bran's rage. 

Little Bran has a lot to be mad about. Jaime pushed him from the window. The Lannisters killed his dad. George is good about giving the reason behind the decisions of his characters. It will be the reader who decides the right and the wrong of that decision. Bran has a lot of power for his age.  He will misuse that power to avenge his family instead of using it for the good. Bran will use the wights as his slave soldiers and send them to menace Westeros. 

6 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Another Stark hate thread? Great! How original. :rolleyes:

It's a genre. A deeply insipid, repetative, all around bland genre.

19 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Bran has begun to prefer the dark. He likes to watch without being seen.  He is bound to the weirwood tree.  Bran will be strong during the long night because some of the strongest trees grow in the dark.  I presume human blood keeps them alive without the need for photosynthesis.   

In my last topic, "Daenerys is Azor Ahai Reborn," I said Daenerys is the Maiden-Made-Of-Light.  I am now saying the Lion of Night is Bran.  Time is circular and history repeats but not exactly.  Bran is the Wolf of the Night.  Daenerys is Azor Ahai. 

Bran will control the wights and send them to destroy the people who opposed the Starks.  The Red Wedding and Jon's execution could be seen as betrayals from the eyes of a Stark.  This is the blood betrayal all over again from Bran's perspective.  The Lion of the Night's reaction to the blood betrayal was extreme and almost childish.  To send minions which could destroy all life because of a betrayal is extreme and reckless.  It is what an angry child would do.  The Others and the wights have not attacked the Wall.  They may not have the magic to breach the Wall.  Bran will let them in.

Daenerys saw the red wedding in one of her moments at the House Of The Undying.  Robb's corpse was pleading for justice.  It is important for her to see this, so she will know the reason for Bran setting the wights against Westeros.  A treaty will surely involve turning over some Stark enemies to relieve Bran's rage. 

The key word in this entire post is "presume," since the OP does a lot of it. They "presume" that Bran prefers the dark, even though he doesn't exactly have much choice in the matter. They "presume" Bran is a nasty little voyeur, even though he clearly would rather take part in the activities he observes. They "presume" that Bran "will be strong in the long night because some of the strongest trees grow in the dark..." ??? Whatever that means. Weirwoods needing blood is a presumption I enjoy. So good job for that, OP! You get a lemon cake!

The entire sequence of events that follow this list of presumptions requires that they turn out to be correct, which makes the whole argument circular. And the reason is that the OP has presumptions in place of evidence. It would be one thing if we had scenes where Bran actually is portrayed actively enjoying his life, deliberately seeking revenge or openly reveling in his ability to watch without being seen. Instead we get a sad and lonely child whose most desperate desire is to be reunited with his remaining family. Granted this desire can be curdled into something much darker and likely will be to some extent. But having Bran turn out to be the big bad in this story while completely ignoring that Euron probably has that role seems pretty nihalistic.

So yeah, I'm not a particular fan of this line of thought. I agree that the "maiden made of light" motif fits Dany pretty well, but trying to make Bran the big supervillian here when we have Euron just doesn't work that well.

22 minutes ago, King17 said:

No bran is the chosen one of the lord of light and will end the long night.

Bran is the opposite of the light.  He will see the deaths of his brothers and sisters.  The wolf and Hodor will die too.  His despair will bring him to commit himself to the Others.  

On 4/4/2021 at 9:58 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I do wonder if Jon's death will upset him more than the wrong done to him by the Lannisters.

16 hours ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

Bran has yet to make a move on his own. He has been carried and guided throughout the story. When or if he gains his own autonomy of choice, we’ll then have an accurate way to judge who he is or isn’t 

The Starks story is about revenge. They will get their revenge and then some. But revenge will also damage and hurt them. Many innocents will die to get them this revenge but they will pay dearly as well.

1 hour ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

The Starks story is about revenge. They will get their revenge and then some. But revenge will also damage and hurt them. Many innocents will die to get them this revenge but they will pay dearly as well.

Sorry. You're confusing the Stark's story with the Martell's story. It's a common mistake, but still a mistake.

On 4/4/2021 at 8:58 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

It is what an angry child would do.

It’s an interesting idea.  What would happen if an angry, petulant child with immense telepathic powers gains control over the weirnet? 

We may have had a glimpse of an unintended consequence of Bran’s telepathic powers when Tyrion provoked him:

“Nonsense,” said Lannister.  “With the right horse and the right saddle, even a cripple can ride.”

The word was a knife through Bran’s heart.  He felt tears come unbidden to his eyes.  “I’m not a cripple!”

“Then I am not a dwarf,” the dwarf said with a twist of his mouth.  “My father will rejoice to hear it.”  Greyjoy laughed.

Robb Stark seemed puzzled.  “Is this some trap, Lannister?  What’s Bran to you?  Why should you want to help him?”

”Your brother Jon asked it of me.  And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things.”  Tyrion Lannister placed a hand over his heart and grinned.

The door to the yard flew open.  Sunlight came streaming across the hall as Rickon burst in, breathless.  The direwolves were with him.  The boy stopped by the door, wide-eyed, but the wolves came on.  Their eyes found Lannister, or perhaps they caught his scent.  Summer began to growl first.  Grey Wind picked it up.  They padded toward the little man, one from the right, and one from the left. 

“The wolves do not like your smell, Lannister,” Theon Greyjoy commented.

So even though Tyrion meant well, he called Bran a cripple again.  And Bran doesn’t like being called a cripple.  And that’s what Tyrion called Bran, the exact moment when the direwolves came in.  And it was Bran’s wolf that first started to growl.  Not Robb’s.  

My guess is that Bran’s anger at being called a cripple was what set the wolves off and had them zero in on Tyrion.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:58 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I've long held out the possibility that Bran was looking at his own future self in his coma dream when he saw the horror at the Heart of Winter.

But to further your theory, if Bran is controlling the wights, then that would mean the Others are not, correct?

The "north remembers" is a sinister saying.  It means the north never forget a wrong.  They do what it takes to get back at the enemies.  This is the culture, the milieu, which produced the Starks.  Bran will fight to avenge his family regardless of the collateral damage.  I just hope he doesn't get very far and he and his tree are burned down to the roots.

Archived