Dead or alive?

Moiraine Sedai

2 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Ser Aliser, Benjen, Daario, Syrio, and Prince Aegon

Alliser - Alive on a ranging.  May or may not survive.  Not hiding at Castle Black.

Benjen - Alive.  Probably in the Far North.

Daario - Don't know, don't care.

Syrio - Dead.  What reason is there to believe otherwise?

Prince Aegon - Dead.  Pisswater Prince story is too convenient and has too many holes. 

Add:

Tyrek Lannister - Alive.  Hiding or maybe just chilling in Braavos.  Nervous about knowing too much.

Alive, Alive, Dead, Dead, Dead - Of course I have no evidence, just opinions...

I don't think Jon and Ser Aliser are finished with one another although a wighted Ser Aliser would be a fearsome foe for a reborn Jon. I think the two of them will reach and understanding before the story is done - then one or both of them die for good.

I suspect that Benjen is coming back and will have some information for all of us waiting to have the harrenhall tourney holes filled in. Could be recovered by Bran later though, but EVERYTHING can't be revealed that way, so I'm betting on a Benjen return.

Something's going to come between Dany and Mereen. Daario is a great candidate because he's already between them, but his death will bring out the dragon in Dany (especially if he has to put his Benjen disguise back on and get back up north to tell Jon something)

In my mind the only way that Syrio is still alive is if he wasn't actually Syrio in the the first place and whoever it was pretending to be Syrio (not speculating here) at the time is still alive.

By Tyrion's assessment the age of young Griff is wrong for Aegon VI, so regardless of what the various conspirators believe I disbelieve the Faegon lie. Sure the realm was in chaos and lives were on the line but if Varys really did sneak the young prince out of KL he really should have taken some sort of proof too. Moreover though I can't make sense of the amount of ink spent on Blackfyres if Young Griff isn't one of them. After a point 'world building' is just inefficient writing.

I wonder some times if there isn't something special about Targaryen succession and Aegon the Unworthy.  If their blood is magical (or something), maybe that magic is indifferent to the rules of men and Daemon Blackfyre should have been the Targaryen king after Aegon the Unworthy regardless of who was or wasn't legitimate.  It could be that putting Griff Blackfyre (for lack of a better name) on the throne in the place of Aegon VI is correcting an historical wrong, possibly a greater wrong than those conspiring to put him there suspect. Also if on his deathbed Aegon legitimized all of his bastards, then wouldn't the legitimized Daemon have been the rightful heir anyway?

Anyway, that's what I suspect about these 5 maybe living maybe dead characters.

You know, what's really terrible is that every time I visit this forum, I brace myself for news of GRRM on this exact same topic.

I'm a big proponent of Benjen being alive and providing critical information regarding Jon's lineage.  It seems implausible to me that Ned, knowing what we all think he knew, wouldn't have also told Benjen.

Ser Aliser is probably alive. Too much unfinished business between him and Jon.

Benjen is definately alive. Too much buildup for the guy for there to be no payoff.

Who cares about Daario?

Syrio is dead. Otherwise it's just bad storytelling.

Prince Aegon is probably dead. The role he would have played if he were alive is filled by Jon and Dany, so there's no narrative reason for Aegon to be alive.

11 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

The dragon has two heads?

Tyrion can fill that role. Or even Bran or Arya. It doesn't need to be a Targaryen. But my money is on Tyrion, given all the dragon forshadowing in his story.

16 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Aliser - so far alive, later - who knows. Benjen - dead, his body became Coldhands. Syrio - alive, because he is Jaqen's original identity, the real face. Aegon - definitely dead. fAegon is a Blackfyre, son of septa Lemore (Lady Jeyne Swann) and Barristan Selmy (grandson of Aenys Blackfyre).

Don't care about Daario. He's irrelevant.

Other people who are alive - Shiera Seastar/Quaithe, Rohanne Webber/the Ghost of High Heart, Ashara Dayne/Jyana Reed, Sandor/Gravedigger, Tysha/the Sailor's wife, Rhaego (he is at Vaes Dothrak).

19 hours ago, Nevets said:

Alliser - Alive on a ranging.  May or may not survive.  Not hiding at Castle Black.

Benjen - Alive.  Probably in the Far North.

Daario - Don't know, don't care.

Syrio - Dead.  What reason is there to believe otherwise?

Prince Aegon - Dead.  Pisswater Prince story is too convenient and has too many holes. 

Add:

Tyrek Lannister - Alive.  Hiding or maybe just chilling in Braavos.  Nervous about knowing too much.

I don't recall asking about Tyrek. How dare you add that name!  :)

Just kidding.  Why do you think his knowledge is dangerous?

On 4/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

No idea, alive, alive, probably dead, we'll never know

13 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Okay, I need to know more about this sequence of events.

As they advanced on the Yunkai, Daario and his Stormcrows rode ahead of all the other forces [This part straight from the books].  They took the opportunity to murder and string up 140 children, in order to enrage Dany against Yunkai [This part's theory].  Barristan's men actually caught him in the act, whereupon he says "I was only cutting them down.  In order to spare poor Dany's feelings.  See?"  [Straight from the books].  The rest is history.

9 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

I don't recall asking about Tyrek. How dare you add that name!  :)

Just kidding.  Why do you think his knowledge is dangerous?

Tyrek was Robert's squire, which means he could have knowledge about plots by, for, or against Robert.  He could have been, or been asked to be, involved in Cersei's plans for Robert's death.  Lots of possibilities to know too much, even if most of it is moot by now.

Of course,, he could have simply tired of life in KL and decided to use the chaos of the riot to disappear.  As a Lannister, he probably would have had access to money to live off of while he reinvented himself.

He could also be a prisoner, probably of either Varys or Littlefinger, although I don't know to what end.

His whereabouts are a true mystery, which is why I listed him.

14 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

As they advanced on the Yunkai, Daario and his Stormcrows rode ahead of all the other forces [This part straight from the books].  They took the opportunity to murder and string up 140 children, in order to enrage Dany against Yunkai [This part's theory].  Barristan's men actually caught him in the act, whereupon he says "I was only cutting them down.  In order to spare poor Dany's feelings.  See?"  [Straight from the books].  The rest is history.

And the slave kids came from, what, thin air?  They sure as hell didn't come from Meereen, which Dany's forces had no access to.  Also, we have no Meereenese saying "what the hell are you talking about",  That they made no such complaint is a clear indication that they did it themselves.

46 minutes ago, Nevets said:

And the slave kids came from, what, thin air? 

I suppose Daario's Stormcrows slaughtered slave-class peasant families from the surrounding countryside and took the dead children to string up

Also, we have no Meereenese saying "what the hell are you talking about",  That they made no such complaint is a clear indication that they did it themselves.

Not a single one admitted guilt.  Many were willing to point the finger at someone else in a desperate attempt to save his own life.  Which is not morally admirable, to be sure.  But it is the sort of thing that tends to occur in such situations. 

What's your theory?  That all 140 of them did it?  One child each?

17 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

I suppose Daario's Stormcrows slaughtered slave-class peasant families from the surrounding countryside and took the dead children to string up

never heard this one before.  I don't know if I like it, or if I just dislike Darrio enough that I'd like to like it.

This is a rather short "dead or alive" list.   A longer "dead or alive" list might include:

-- Jojen Reed; -- Old Nan; -- Hyle Hunt; -- Pod Payne; -- Myrcella Baratheon; -- Ashara Dayne; -- Frog Martell; -- The Tattered Prince; -- Silverwing; -- Cannibal; -- Sheepstealer; -- Serra; -- Brienne of Tarth; -- Jaime Lannister; -- Sandor Clegane;  -- Jon Snow; -- Samwell Tarly; -- Tysha; -- Tyrek Lannister.

I might throw in:  -- Varamyr Sixskins; and -- Catelyn Stark; -- not because there is much doubt about their status, so that guessers can make clear what they mean when they say "dead" or "alive".  

Archived