Dead or alive?

Moiraine Sedai

1 hour ago, Mister Smikes said:

This is a rather short "dead or alive" list.   A longer "dead or alive" list might include:

-- Jojen Reed; -- Old Nan; -- Hyle Hunt; -- Pod Payne; -- Myrcella Baratheon; -- Ashara Dayne; -- Frog Martell; -- The Tattered Prince; -- Silverwing; -- Cannibal; -- Sheepstealer; -- Serra; -- Brienne of Tarth; -- Jaime Lannister; -- Sandor Clegane;  -- Jon Snow; -- Samwell Tarly; -- Tysha; -- Tyrek Lannister.

I might throw in:  -- Varamyr Sixskins; and -- Catelyn Stark; -- not because there is much doubt about their status, so that guessers can make clear what they mean when they say "dead" or "alive".  

Quentyn Martell and the dragons are dead.  Tysha I doubt we'll hear from again.  The other characters are still alive, at least for now. 

On 4/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Ser Aliser, Benjen, Daario, Syrio, and Prince Aegon

Aliser was sent on a suicide mission but I hope he’s alive. Benjen is a wight by now.  He was the first of the Starks to get wighted. Daario is alive. Syrio is dead. Aegon has been dead for a long time.

20 hours ago, Nevets said:

Quentyn Martell and the dragons are dead.  Tysha I doubt we'll hear from again.  The other characters are still alive, at least for now. 

Well, if Catelyn Stark is alive, then I would agree that Brienne and Jaime are alive too, & maybe in the same sense.  Otherwise I'm not sure.

I forgot to mention:  -- Loras Tyrell (supposedly dying, last time we heard); -- Stannis Baratheon (dead per the Pink Letter).

10 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

Well, if Catelyn Stark is alive, then I would agree that Brienne and Jaime are alive too, & maybe in the same sense.  Otherwise I'm not sure.

I forgot to mention:  -- Loras Tyrell (supposedly dying, last time we heard); -- Stannis Baratheon (dead per the Pink Letter).

Brienne and Jaime are alive in the full sense of the word.  I see no reason to believe otherwise.  Not to mention they are too important to die off-page in any event.

7 hours ago, Nevets said:

Brienne and Jaime are alive in the full sense of the word. 

This is perfectly possible, despite dire appearances.  Arya, after all, turned out to be perfectly okay after Sandor seemingly offed her with an ax.

I see no reason to believe otherwise.  

This, however, is just silly -- a refusal do acknowledge dire appearances.

Not to mention they are too important to die off-page in any event.

There is no logic to this except "I don't want them to be dead".  Whatever has happened to them has already happened off page.  Whether Brienne was cut down alive or left to hang til dead, it has already happened off page.  Jaime left for a day's ride (lured away by the lies of a woman or zombie who has accepted a mission to "take the sword and kill the kingslayer").  Weeks or months later, we get news of his disappearance from Cersei's POV.  Something happened before his day's ride was over, and we missed it.  It evidently suits GRRM's purpose to keep us guessing.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mister Smikes said:

This is a rather short "dead or alive" list.   A longer "dead or alive" list might include:

-- Jojen Reed; -- Old Nan; -- Hyle Hunt; -- Pod Payne; -- Myrcella Baratheon; -- Ashara Dayne; -- Frog Martell; -- The Tattered Prince; -- Silverwing; -- Cannibal; -- Sheepstealer; -- Serra; -- Brienne of Tarth; -- Jaime Lannister; -- Sandor Clegane;  -- Jon Snow; -- Samwell Tarly; -- Tysha; -- Tyrek Lannister.

I might throw in:  -- Varamyr Sixskins; and -- Catelyn Stark; -- not because there is much doubt about their status, so that guessers can make clear what they mean when they say "dead" or "alive".  

If Jojen got eaten, do you think there's any chance that Meera wouldn't get it as well? 

Bran: Well Meera, we're all done here. I want to thank you again for your help getting up here and a couple of the children are going to put together a little travel pack for you and maybe tomorrow or the day after it should be time for you to head back down south.

Meera: Sure Bran. I'll just get Jojen and we'll header. Have you seen him?  I know it's bloody dark down here, but I swear it's been a few days since I've spoken to him.  He was talking to Leaf by the kitchens last I recall.

Bran: I didn't see that...  I think he said he really wanted to make a mile, he might have gone on ahead.

Meera: Yeah, right with those things out there.

Bran: oh, yeah. hm. Well, I wouldn't look around the kitchens, he wouldn't be down there

Meera: dammit. Honestly Bran, I'm anxious to go. I really don't like it here. It's dark, gloomy, dangerous and Jojen's been a sulking baby ever since we got here. I just got to find him and hit the road.

Bran: Say, Meera. Did Jojen ever tell you why he never told you how he's going to die?

50 minutes ago, Jay21 said:

If Jojen got eaten, do you think there's any chance that Meera wouldn't get it as well? 

No, not much chance.  Assuming Jojen got eaten, things look grim for Meera as well.  But it's a story, so unlikely things can happen.  She could escape.  

But she need hardly die at the same time as Jojen did, so there's no particular call to put her on a "Dead of Alive" list just yet.

21 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

No, not much chance.  Assuming Jojen got eaten, things look grim for Meera as well.  But it's a story, so unlikely things can happen.  She could escape.  

But she need hardly die at the same time as Jojen did, so there's no particular call to put her on a "Dead of Alive" list just yet.

Meera escaped back to Winterfell could be interesting. Suddenly she's a Bolton supporter...

Archived