HBO Celebrates Iron Anniverary

Westeros

HBO has unleashed a wave of promotion for the “Iron Anniversary”, marking the 10th year since A Game of Thrones premiered. To mark the occasion, a teaser has been made… and many things have been planned during the month-long celebration, including some new and unique collaborations, curated viewing experiences, and a “MaraThrone” series binge which will bring actors from the show to rally fans towards giving to a number of charitable causes.

One of the most unique of the collaborations is with the world-famous jeweler firm Fabergé, who is producing a one-of-a-kind jewelled egg. More details below.

read on >>>

View the full article

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I'd say that's the Rusty Anniversary, no?

Sure.  They have a show that has no rewatch value any longer.  My only regret is that I spent good money on this dreck. One thing I loathe is the way they keep trying to cash in on Daenerys, because she still has a fanbase, despite the two D's shitting all over her character.

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

Sure.  They have a show that has no rewatch value any longer.  My only regret is that I spent good money on this dreck. One thing I loathe is the way they keep trying to cash in on Daenerys, because she still has a fanbase, despite the two D's shitting all over her character.

Its been two years and there still isn't consensus why she did what she did, was it the Targ insanity? That Jon wouldn't bone her? That she was always a genocidal tyrant? Let it be fear? Or my personal favorite, "this time it was personal". LMAO what a disaster, For many Dany fans right or wrong-what happened in the final season wasn't cannon, and they are buoyed by overwhelming negative response to S8. I can't disagree. 

1 hour ago, Dragon in the North said:

They have some nerve to put on a marathon of their most successful show on its anniversary? 

Have to agree with this. They wouldn't do this if their numbers didn't show there was substantial willingness of viewers to take part in it, and ditto with Funko releasing more toys and so on -- they're not charities.

Despite the opprobrium that show (dservedly) gets among many, there must be at least a very large minority, and perhaps even a majority, of viewers who still think fondly of the show, warts and all.

7 hours ago, Sotan said:

Its been two years and there still isn't consensus why she did what she did, was it the Targ insanity? That Jon wouldn't bone her? That she was always a genocidal tyrant? Let it be fear? Or my personal favorite, "this time it was personal". LMAO what a disaster, For many Dany fans right or wrong-what happened in the final season wasn't cannon, and they are buoyed by overwhelming negative response to S8. I can't disagree. 

I've got really (really) mad when I realised that aunt-nephew and uncle-niece marriages aren't even considered incestuous by northmen. And they built up an entire season on the opposite of it, and their ending too. That's what still makes me mad, man. That there was literally noone who would've known this, and say that: "hey, this is dumb shit, we build up our conflict on a problem that isn't a problem at all, neither it was IRL back then..."

1 hour ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I've got really (really) mad when I realised that aunt-nephew and uncle-niece marriages aren't even considered incestuous by northmen. And they built up an entire season on the opposite of it, and their ending too. That's what still makes me mad, man. That there was literally noone who would've known this, and say that: "hey, this is dumb shit, we build up our conflict on a problem that isn't a problem at all, neither it was IRL back then..."

The whole Jon-Daenerys thing in the show has literally nothing to do with what we are going to get in the books. Even for Aegon-Daenerys we'll need some big time scenario preventing a Dany-Aegon marriage to resolve the issue - most likely with Aegon marrying Arianne and/or other women before Dany shows up and refusing to also marrying Daenerys. Dany herself might not be disinclined to follow the example of the Conqueror and take multiple spouses.

But with Jon both a romance-rivalry is pretty much impossible. Nor would their degree of kinship be a problem considering they didn't grow up together. There are precedents for Starks marrying in the family, involving even avuncular marriages. And if you have the hots for each other then this will be a non-issue.

6 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Everything was for convenience- the Starks have a history of avunculate marriages, but all of a sudden it was verboten in the North. Sansa hated Dany because she wanted Northern independence, Tyrion and Varys became champions of the Geneva Conventions. It was one mess after another, Its a wonder the entire season didn't collapse by the weight of its stupidity. 

36 minutes ago, Sotan said:

Sansa hated Dany because she wanted Northern independence,

Now that one. Oh my God, I was a full-time Sansa fan and it completely ruined her character me (thank god books Sansa is different). That is probably the biggest shit ever happening on screen. Like, thinking trough, everything bad happened because she intentionally spills it out evwrything without a single motive. Oh, there was one, nOrThErN iNdEpEnDeNcE and that she hated on Daenerys for what reason exactly? I don't know she ever had one. And then comes Arya with the "Yo, I killed the NK and not you", and then Bran, who is supposed to know the future or be smart enough to calculate out what would happen (at least in the show), which means he directly led everything to that ending. Damn. Like, if he is what claims to be, why doesn't rule true others? Let KL burn? Throwing into trash his own brother (cousin), drive his brother's ex to madness so that she'll burn a city and he'll be king? Like, there was no other way to get to rule the 7K, only this? Come on. And in the end gives the North independence why exactly? So that Sansa or her descendants could fuck up something without his guidance? So that later generation could work on bringing the North under the rule of the IT again? Or was he trying to give power to his own kin? Why not letting Jon rule then? Why doesn't he skinchange into The Mountain and kill Cersei(I know this isn't a good one, but practical)? Why did he came all that way? Why on that way, wasn't there a more peaceful one? Even murdering Daenerys in cold blood is better. My God, I hate that season.

6 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Now that one. Oh my God, I was a full-time Sansa fan and it completely ruined her character me (thank god books Sansa is different). That is probably the biggest shit ever happening on screen. Like, thinking trough, everything bad happened because she intentionally spills it out evwrything without a single motive. Oh, there was one, nOrThErN iNdEpEnDeNcE and that she hated on Daenerys for what reason exactly? I don't know she ever had one. And then comes Arya with the "Yo, I killed the NK and not you", and then Bran, who is supposed to know the future or be smart enough to calculate out what would happen (at least in the show), which means he directly led everything to that ending. Damn. Like, if he is what claims to be, why doesn't rule true others? Let KL burn? Throwing into trash his own brother (cousin), drive his brother's ex to madness so that she'll burn a city and he'll be king? Like, there was no other way to get to rule the 7K, only this? Come on. And in the end gives the North independence why exactly? So that Sansa or her descendants could fuck up something without his guidance? So that later generation could work on bringing the North under the rule of the IT again? Or was he trying to give power to his own kin? Why not letting Jon rule then? Why doesn't he skinchange into The Mountain and kill Cersei(I know this isn't a good one, but practical)? Why did he came all that way? Why on that way, wasn't there a more peaceful one? Even murdering Daenerys in cold blood is better. My God, I hate that season.

All of this! It was one big mess that made no sense, just slapped together without care or concern. 

@Ran

From the 10th anniversary Rory McCann video...a blink-or-you'll-miss screenshot from the unaired pilot reveals what seems to be early concept Lannister heraldry which was later mercifully abandoned...and the ORIGINAL long-haired Joffrey 

"Joffrey had a different haircut in the pilot, it was more pageboy cut, slightly pudding bowl-ish, like Henry V. It wasn’t that it didn’t suit him being a little shit, but it softened the edge. The modern cut in the version that aired gave him more spitefulness"

I've a distinct recollection of having seen the banner and haircut before. It may be from one of our NI visits, as we looked at a scrapbook from the family that runs The Cuan in Strangford, where a lot of the actors stayed. They had been allowed on set on several days during the pilot and had a bunch of photos showing the entry scene.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:30 AM, Daeron the Daring said:

Aunt-nephew and niece-uncle marriages AREN'T incestous? Sounds pretty incestous to me. Such evil northmen.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:31 PM, Dragon in the North said:

They have some nerve to put on a marathon of their most successful show on its anniversary? 

Considering that they blew Seasons 7 and 8 to hell, yes.

4 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Aunt-nephew and niece-uncle marriages AREN'T incestous? Sounds pretty incestous to me. Such evil northmen.

Yes it is incestuous, but for European nobles in the middle ages and beyond not really a deal breaker. The Hapsburgs were famous for avuncular marriages.  Even the Starks practiced this type of incestuous marriage; Jonnel Stark, son of Cregan Stark (dance of the dragons fame) married his half-niece Sansa Stark. I think medieval societies found uncle-niece, or aunt-nephew marriages as incestuous as first cousin pairings. Which is why the taboo as presented in the show was not historically accurate, both in Planeteos and the real world, and was used a flimsy plot device to further isolate Dany and drive a wedge between her and Jon. While the obvious answer-for the two claimants to merge their claims was dismissed out of hand. Then again the show stopped being true to the world it operated in long ago, Cersei on the throne after blowing up the Sept, Tyrion and Varys discovering the Geneva Conventions etc etc. 

8 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I mean, I was talking about how Westeros/Northmen feel about it.

On the other hand, if you want to know the truth, I can tell you that, altough it's allowed in some countries, the difference between a sister-brother relationship and an aunt-nephep/uncle-niece is almost (literaly) nothing. In fact, your child becoming the victim of your incest is just as likely in both cases. Because around 25% of your DNA stock is the same with your brothers/sisters as well as it is with your aunt/uncle or nephew/niece. However, only around 18% of your DNA stock is the same with a halfsister/halfbrother, so we can say that inbreeding will likelier affect someone born from an aunt-nephew relationship than between halfbrothers and sisters. Still, some countries allow marriages between them, altough they don't allow it between halfsiblings. I guess it's a moral thing too, and doing it with your halfsibling is still morally worse than doing it with your aunt, nephew, uncle or niece.

That does not change the fact that medieval society found no problem in this. Neither do Northmen, so neither do I. (But guys, don't choose your relatives, I'm serious)

Archived