Public Figures Satirized as Genre Characters: eg. Ten Rules for Life, By Red Skull

SpaceChampion

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t really get it to be honest, I haven’t looked too hard into it, but is Coates having a jab at Peterson in a Captain America comic? Really? 

If so , that’s just weird. And this is the guy who’s going to write the next Supeman movie?!

He's having a jab at nazis by showing how nazis currently use social media. 

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So he thinks Jordan Peterson is a Nazi?

I'm pretty sure he thinks the Red Skull is a Nazi, and that if the Red Skull was real he would use precisely the kind of social media techniques other Nazis have done in the real world to his benefit. 

Just now, Karlbear said:

I'm pretty sure he thinks the Red Skull is a Nazi, and that if the Red Skull was real he would use precisely the kind of social media techniques other Nazis have done in the real world to his benefit. 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don't have psychic powers, so I don't know. Do you think Jordan Peterson is a Nazi? Or maybe he's just Nazi adjacent?

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

You seem to have some understanding of his intentions here, so I’m assuming some knowledge on the subject , hence why I’m asking you 

Why would I understand his intentions specifically? I understand what he's said, which is that the Red Skull would use social media like a lot of the alt-right people do and do so with similar goals. I also understand how people are radicalized to join groups like white supremacists online. 

I don't really know why it matters to you whether or not I think that Coates thinks that Peterson is a Nazi. I doubt that you'll like Coates one way or another, and I doubt that it'll stop your adoration of Peterson.

I think we need to add sealioning to the list of types of behaviour that is banned on the board.

12 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Not to mention what the actual Nazis did in the 1930s with the actual media tactics of the day. Appealing to people feeling disaffected and disenfranchised - rightly or not - and telling them that it's all down to Other external forces that they should guard against and destroy rather than their own choices, is straight out of Goebbels' playbook. 

Well he’s used petersons book title as if Red Skull, who is pretty much the second worst nazi ever, was saying it. 

The assumption would be that Coates thinks Peterson is basically comparable to a Nazi, or if he doesn’t then he’s not exactly careful with his messaging. If that is what he thinks then.. well.. what can you really say about it. 

Either way, seems like a pretty odd thing to put into a Captain America comic, if that is the level of social commentary he comes up with then god help the Superman movie.

Just now, Heartofice said:

Well he’s used direct Peterson quotes as if Red Skull, who is pretty much the second worst nazi ever, was saying it. 

The assumption would be that Coates thinks Peterson is basically comparable to a Nazi, or if he doesn’t then he’s not exactly careful with his messaging. If that is what he thinks then.. well.. what can you really say about it. 

Either way, seems like a pretty odd thing to put into a Captain America comic, if that is the level of social commentary he comes up with then god help the Superman movie.

I don't see why it's that odd. Why is it weird to have a modern version of the Red Skull using modern nazi messaging? 

Unless you are saying you don't think that Peterson is a nazi?

2 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

I don't see why it's that odd. Why is it weird to have a modern version of the Red Skull using modern nazi messaging? 

Unless you are saying you don't think that Peterson is a nazi?

No I don’t think Peterson is a Nazi. Not even close.

Why would I think he’s a Nazi 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Why would I think he’s a Nazi 

I don't know - why wouldn't you think someone who talks like the Red Skull WASN'T a nazi?

Just now, Karlbear said:

I don't know - why wouldn't you think someone who talks like the Red Skull WASN'T a nazi?

I guess in your world it’s pretty much impossible to separate the two, so I’m just going to assume you do think Peterson is a Nazi, but that it’s ok because he’s in another dimension guarding an infinity stone... or something 

2 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

OK, this must be trolling. Come on. “He must be a Nazi because someone drew a Nazi saying things he said”. 

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

This is a medium where one of the most famous covers is Captain America punching out Hitler. I would not expect greatly nuanced depths of social commentary.

26 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Agreed. I do think he's a pernicious charlatan who has taken his worthwhile credentials as a clinical psychologist and turned himself into a self-help guru for disaffected men, and that his particular approach has certainly attracted people on the far right. But that's not a Nazi. 

24 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

A writer associating a character with some real life person is a strange metric by which to determine whether someone is a Nazi or not. Not to be too incendiary here, but substitute some of the  blurbs with "Back Where We Belong", "Torchlight for America", and so on, tweak the discussion a bit, and I presume the conclusion should be that Louis Farrakhan is a Nazi by that same metric. Or substitute whoever else you can think of who's gone in on polemic with the promise of providing answers for some segment of disaffected people.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

I thought Red Skull killed Hitler's messengers in First Avenger.  He's not a Nazi, he's a traitor!

Hail, HYDRA!

I do think that's an MCU thing, though. I'm not sure he abandoned Nazism in the comics, merely saw it as a failed project that needed the likes of him to revive it.

31 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

OK, this must be trolling. Come on. “He must be a Nazi because someone drew a Nazi saying things he said”. 

Well, if he isn't a nazi why does he talk like a famous nazi?

Archived