Public Figures Satirized as Genre Characters: eg. Ten Rules for Life, By Red Skull

SpaceChampion

I'm personally all for the comments on that Twitter feed which are uncritically saying that when the villain starts making the most sense to them that its time for the hero to question things 

You know, instead of the person who thinks the villain makes sense 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Cos some guy turned the joke around and started parodying Coates. You probably didn’t get it

Yeah. Can you explain to me how someone objecting to being compared to a nazi is now self comparing to a naxi and this shows that he is not actually a nazi?

2 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Yeah. Can you explain to me how someone objecting to being compared to a nazi is now self comparing to a naxi and this shows that he is not actually a nazi?

You don’t understand the concept of laughing at the ridiculousness of it ?

You don’t understand the concept of laughing at the ridiculousness of it ?

Sorry, maybe I don't get how applying your quotes to a fictional nazi and having them fit perfectly makes it seem ridiculous. Could you explain?

I’m trying to process the transitive property being attached to thia.

Lets see if I can logic it out.

Red Skull is a fictional superhuman Nazi.

Red Skull says things vaguely similar to Jordan Peterson.

Ergo, Jordan Peterson is a fictional superhuman Nazi.

So

Jordan Peterson is a fictional superhuman Nazi.

Jordan Peterson has said (among many other utterances), ”Clean your room!”

Jordan Peterson has thus said things vaguely similar to Marie Kondo.

Ergo, Marie Kondo is a fictional superhuman Nazi.

All right, I think I’m getting the hang of this.

20 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Sorry, maybe I don't get how applying your quotes to a fictional nazi and having them fit perfectly makes it seem ridiculous. Could you explain?

Because it was already ridiculous that Coates had brought up Peterson in a comic , so you might as well run with the stupidity of it all

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Because it was already ridiculous that Coates had brought up Peterson in a comic , so you might as well run with the stupidity of it all

Or, he's flattered by any alleged parody. And again, there's no actual proof that his unoriginal ideas are the actual target of the parody. I'll repeat, it's absolutely hilarious that Peterson thinks he's original enough to publicly make the claim that the Red Skull is based on him. The amount of projection/narcissism this requires is incredible. 

33 minutes ago, Relic said:

oh yeah? Where does it "literally" mention his book?

Ok not literally( 10 rules rather than 12) but I think you’d have to have serious blinkers on to not think that is a direct reference to Petersons book. 

Are you genuinely trying to suggest there is zero connection there at all? Are you really attempting to do that? 

Ok not literally( 10 rules rather than 12) but I think you’d have to have serious blinkers on to not think that is a direct reference to Petersons book. 

Are you genuinely trying to suggest there is zero connection there at all? Are you really attempting to do that? 

So, not literally. Glad we got that sorted. You should probably get your facts straight before making statements like that. 

There might be some small connection, but again, and really for the last time, what Peterson espouses is NOT original, there are a thousand clowns just like him saying the same shit. The comic seems to be aiming at showing the RS using ideology that radicalizes young men online. If Peterson sees himself within that miasma than that's on him and his deluded followers. To get on Twitter and declare that the RS is being based on him, personally, is just a weird flex, and probably due to his towering megalomania. 

If you want to get up in arms about it, go ahead. I'll just sit here and keep laughing at people like you. 

Yeah just clarifying. Honestly I think you have your head in the sand if you are trying to state that Coates wasn’t making a direct reference to Peterson in that comic. It’s as plain as day. It’s not even subtle, I thought Coates was better than that?

And that is the bit that really needs to highlighted. What has Peterson really done wrong here? Coates is obviously pointing him in reference to an actual Nazi. Wouldn’t you get annoyed at that? The fact that some people here cannot even compute the idea that Peterson isn’t a Nazi really speaks to the type of dialogue we are seeing in the world right now.

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The fact that some people here cannot even compute the idea that Peterson isn’t a Nazi really speaks to the type of dialogue we are seeing in the world right now.

Yeah, keep telling yourself you're the one looking at this with clear eyes. I've said all I had to say on the matter. If Peterson wants to compare himself to the RS, he can go right ahead. I find the whole thing, along with the hero worshiping comic book movies we have been flooded with in the last decade, to be silly. And i find Peterson himself to be an odious piece of human dick vomit. 

38 minutes ago, Relic said:

So, not literally. Glad we got that sorted. You should probably get your facts straight before making statements like that. 

Is there someone else with similar ideas who wrote a book called ‘X rules for life’? It doesn’t seem that crazy that Coates was referring to him. Now Peterson is leaning into it and joking about it instead of coming across as some fuddy duddy who doesn’t get it. Nothing surprising about the response at all.

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yeah, keep telling yourself you're the one looking at this with clear eyes. I've said all I had to say on the matter. If Peterson wants to compare himself to the RS, he can go right ahead. I find the whole thing, along with the hero worshiping comic book movies we have been flooded with in the last decade, to be silly. And i find Peterson himself to be an odious piece of human dick vomit. 

Yeah I get you don’t like Peterson, that’s fine, nobody is asking you to.

2 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Is there someone else with similar ideas who wrote a book called ‘X rules for life’? It doesn’t seem that crazy that Coates was referring to him. Now Peterson is leaning into it and joking about it instead of coming across as some fuddy duddy who doesn’t get it. Nothing surprising about the response at all.

Basically this. You’d have to really be trying hard to find a way to not see the connection there at all. 

The only really interesting part of this was I was under the assumption that Coates was good. But his level of political commentary here is pretty much Chapo Trap House level. 

I wouldn’t worry about it. Of course Peterson is using it humorously, he probably made a thousand new sales.

But I totally agree the parody is of the incel movement in general. If “ten rules” is the only supposed reference to Peterson, you might as well say Coates is calling John Ritter a nazi.

18 minutes ago, john said:

I wouldn’t worry about it. Of course Peterson is using it humorously, he probably made a thousand new sales.

But I totally agree the parody is of the incel movement in general. If “ten rules” is the only supposed reference to Peterson, you might as well say Coates is calling John Ritter a nazi.

I mean the panel also mentions ‘chaos and order’. Why would anyone be under any illusion what this is referring to?

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yes? There are like hundreds on Amazon. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The only really interesting part of this was I was under the assumption that Coates was good. But his level of political commentary here is pretty much Chapo Trap House level. 

Yeah, when I think of you I definitely think that you view a guy who openly thinks reparations for slavery are essential as good. That's definitely not performative outrage. No sorrow.

And @Ran, clearly Peterson isn't a fictional nazi. I mean I think we are all in agreement that he is certainly real, right?

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

So you're saying that he decided that being associated with a fictional nazi supervillain was a way to make people think that he wasn't particularly evil or a nazi, despite making that association himself?

Archived