DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

Yeah I didn't find anything wrong with the trailer but the underlying feeling of "Batmanned-out" is pretty pervasive.  I would have liked to have seen more of the Riddler since the description (i.e. like the Zodiak killer) sounds interesting.

Yeah there is some interesting stuff in there, but I’m so done with that grimey, early 00s sepia look. I think you can do monochrome without it looking ugly and claustrophobic the whole time. 

I always think back to the Arkham asylum games and while they looked ok, I really don’t want to keep seeing movies that feel like an extension of that.

I was hoping for something a bit more unique in the cinematography for this movie 

9 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Pfff, y'all talking about Batman when we got this on the horizon.

Far more excited for this than for anything Batman related (exception being news of the release date of Harley Quinn Season 3)

I cannot understand the love that Batman trailer is garnering here. It looked absolutely pedestrian. Pattinson brings absolutely nothing new to this table, and it showed in even those brief snippets.  That trailer evoked even less desire to want to see this.  

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I cannot understand the love that Batman trailer is garnering here. It looked absolutely pedestrian. Pattinson brings absolutely nothing new to this table, and it showed in even those brief snippets.  That trailer evoked even less desire to want to see this.  

To be honest my interest is based more on what I've read and heard about it. But I did really like the tone of the trailer.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I feel pretty much in agreement. It looks like everything I’ve seen before when it comes to Batman, at this point I’m going to need something new to really draw me in. Joker at least was different and was a unique take, so far this feels like exactly what I’d expect from a Batman movie.

I can still never get over the mess DC managed to make of their continuity. Literally dropping two trailers the same day, one with a new Batman we’re all supposed to get excited about, the other with an old Batman we’re all supposed to get excited about. “Which one is the DCCU, with Ben Affleck?” one might earnestly ask; oh, it’s the one with the Batman from 1989.

I’m not keen on the look of Pattinson’s Batman either, but then I’m currently watching the DCAU (90s/00s animated shows) and loving that Batman so, not really in the mood for something new. 

10 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I can still never get over the mess DC managed to make of their continuity. Literally dropping two trailers the same day, one with a new Batman we’re all supposed to get excited about, the other with an old Batman we’re all supposed to get excited about. “Which one is the DCCU, with Ben Affleck?” one might earnestly ask; oh, it’s the one with the Batman from 1989.

I’m not keen on the look of Pattinson’s Batman either, but then I’m currently watching the DCAU (90s/00s animated shows) and loving that Batman so, not really in the mood for something new. 

Hey, that's pretty cool, I recently finished rewatching the 90's cartoon. Man does that show still hold up. Having grown up in the 90's I'm starting to see how spoiled I was, having great shows like Batman The Animated series, Gargoyles and The X-Men, to watch.

In other news, I wonder if the Flash movie will have Thawne in it. I sort of hate Ezra Miller as the Flash, but Thawne has always been one of my favorite DC villains. They better put him in the film if they're doing Flash Point.

I’m doing a ‘best of’ list I found on Reddit, as I kept hearing people rave about it (and was curious as to what a good DC universe might look like); tore through Batman: The Animated Series, then Superman alongside The New Batman Adventures (don’t quite understand the name as it has the same opener as TAS), just now started Justice League.

@DaveSumm

Make sure to watch Batman: Mask of the Phantasm if you haven't, same creative team as TAS. One of the best DC animated films.

@sifth

TAS, Gargoyles, X-Men, and Exo-Squad were the contemporaneous cartoons that I remember best from that era. Gargoyles and Exo-Squad were great at serial storytelling, TAS was just gorgeously animated, and X-Men covered a lot of the stories and characters I loved in comics at the time.

@DaveSumm You're gona love the later parts of the Justice League show. Some of the casting choices blew me away in the mid 00's. It honestly felt like each week had a new surprise, whenever that show was on. Also like Ran said, make sure to watch Mask of Phantasm, it might very well be, the best Batman film ever made, IMO. In fact I recently rewatched it myself this past Friday.

@Ran I forgot all about Exo-Squad. You're right, that show was very good as well. Part of me will always be upset that show ended on an insane cliffhanger, that never got followed up in any way, shape or form.

17 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Pfff, y'all talking about Batman when we got this on the horizon.

I thought The Suicide Squad was pretty good. I'll watch this but honestly I'm not all that enthused by this trailer.

The Batman trailer looks great. Black Adam could be cool. I'll get around to watching the Shazam! 2 trailer eventually. The Flash teaser has me concerned. 

On 10/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, Heartofice said:

Ugly.

On 10/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Extreme sepia tones.

Show us on the doll where the color grading touched you. 

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I thought The Suicide Squad was pretty good. I'll watch this but honestly I'm not all that enthused by this trailer.

The Batman trailer looks great. Black Adam could be cool. I'll get around to watching the Shazam! 2 trailer eventually. The Flash teaser has me concerned. 

Show us on the doll where the color grading touched you. 

:)

• 2 months later...

Not even the return of Keaton's Batman? The iconic Batman who never used lethal force  killed the shit out of baddies?

If Thawne was cast they haven't announced it. My understanding is that there will be multiple versions of Barry Allen and one of them won't renounce their wish will be the villain. 

I just hope this film fully embraces the camp and goofiness in a way that WW84 failed to do. That film was criticized for a lack of 80's music. Like seriously, they spent $200 mil on that thing and they couldn't license a few 80's tunes for the soundtrack? I'm sure Richard Marx could use the cash. 

How much better would the "flight" scene have been if, instead of John Murphy's "Adagio in D minor", we got Quiet Riot's cover of "Cum On Feel The Noize"? Maybe Bananrama's "Cruel Summer" if heavy metal's not your thing. Both were hit singles in 1984. 

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot we had this thread. My post from the Watched thread:

Peacemaker dropped the first 3 episodes on HBO Max and I watched the first one. It's entertaining but stupid but funny but what the fuck are they doing?

John Cena can be really hilarious, the new character of Leota seems to be the most interesting and may end up being the best character. It has the silliest title sequence I've seen a while. I had to wonder if they didn't have the money for a proper title sequence but I like the song.

Archived