DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I forgot we had this thread. My post from the Watched thread:

Peacemaker dropped the first 3 episodes on HBO Max and I watched the first one. It's entertaining but stupid but funny but what the fuck are they doing?

John Cena can be really hilarious, the new character of Leota seems to be the most interesting and may end up being the best character. It has the silliest title sequence I've seen a while. I had to wonder if they didn't have the money for a proper title sequence but I like the song.

I doubt it, the show has movie quality production. I think James Gunn just loves dancing. Case and point, both GotG movies have dance numbers at the very beginning of the films.

Anyone else watching Peacemaker? I finished all three episodes. The show is highly entertaining, if on the silly side. I find John Cena to be doing a decent job with the character. Not sure about Vigilante. We got a very different version of him in the Arrowverse. I wonder which one is closer to the comics.

I'm glad that at least by the 3rd episode what the main arc is about has been revealed. 

Spoiler

I guess this is DC's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Are the butterflies a comic book thing?

I watched the 3 episodes of Peacemaker.  I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else.  The absurdist sense of humor within the series just isn't for me.  (Although, I did get a good laugh out of Peacemaker's catchphrase.)  Also, I didn't really feel any emotional connection to any of the characters except Eagly and Peacemaker himself.  

I'll probably get around to Peacmaker eventually. I rewatched TSS recently and found it kind of boring. I liked it well enough when it first hit but on rewatch I found myself wanting to surf the action/comedy beats. In the end, I didn't even finish it. Gunn basically made an R rated Marvel movie. Not a Deadpool movie, which has a high re-watchability factor for me; but an MCU film with R rated action and comedy. Still better than WW84.

What's weird is that his GotG films are among the few recent MCU films that have that re-watchable quality for me. I've even grown to like the second film more than when I first saw it. 

A Batgirl still just dropped. 

23 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'll probably get around to Peacmaker eventually. I rewatched TSS recently and found it kind of boring. I liked it well enough when it first hit but on rewatch I found myself wanting to surf the action/comedy beats. In the end, I didn't even finish it. Gunn basically made an R rated Marvel movie. Not a Deadpool movie, which has a high re-watchability factor for me; but an MCU film with R rated action and comedy. Still better than WW84.

What's weird is that his GotG films are among the few recent MCU films that have that re-watchable quality for me. I've even grown to like the second film more than when I first saw it. 

A Batgirl still just dropped. 

I honestly thought I was the only person on the planet who liked the second GotG film. I'm still not sure why that film get so much hate. The ending to that film actually made me cry, even on repeat viewings, which isn't something I can say for a lot of MCU films.

Does GotG 2 get so much hate? Most people I know liked it, at least as much as the first. The only real note of criticism I've seen for it is how it can be read as somewhat trivialising Yondu as an abusive parent, and even there it's not as if the film isn't about dealing with the trauma from that. 

44 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Does GotG 2 get so much hate? Most people I know liked it, at least as much as the first. The only real note of criticism I've seen for it is how it can be read as somewhat trivialising Yondu as an abusive parent, and even there it's not as if the film isn't about dealing with the trauma from that. 

I mean most of my friends in the real world like it a great deal, but online, I always see comments, about how "it's not as good as the first one" and "Gunn really dropped the ball", but maybe it's just the places I look.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I thought the general consensus on it was "good but not as good as part one."  Which, to me, is fairly accurate.  

I'm not sure it gets much hate but its generally accepted that it isn't as good as the first one. I'd say it's close but It still has some flaws. The final boss should be a bit shorter. One or two lines of dialogue are a bit cringe or don't really flow naturally.

And I still contend that the revenge on the mutineers scene is far more horrifying than people acknowledge. Not that I object to it. Not that its a bad scene; but it's basically "The Red Wedding" if it was scored differently. How they got that into a PG-13 film is, well, "Disney". People don't mind violence as long as it's fun I guess. Kudos to Gunn and his editor for getting that past the ratings board and the critics.

Bringing this back to DC, where I would object to it is regarding Shazam!. For a more family oriented DC film that's supposed to appeal to kids, it has some really bizarre tonal shifts. That board room scene was way too strong and kind of gratuitous. 

Geoff Johns compared that scene to the Doc Oc hospital scene in Spider-Man 2; which itself was inspired by the shower scene in Psycho. The difference is that with those scenes you can't tell what you're looking at and your mind fills everything in. Moviegoers saw Psycho and swore they saw stab wounds and lady bits when they saw neither. The Operating theater scene in S-M 2 is darkly lit and uses a lot of rapid cuts to get a similar effect.

The board room scene is longer than either of the other two scenes and doesn't make the same use of rapid cuts. The result is that you straight up see a monster bite a guys head off and toss his lifeless (headless) corpse out a window. No blood though so the PG-13 rating is preserved. And for what? So that we could see that Dr Savanna is a sociopath with daddy issues? We kind of knew that already. 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I thought the general consensus on it was "good but not as good as part one."  Which, to me, is fairly accurate.  

Agreed.  While I like the movie, this is my impression of the consensus and I think it's fair.  And I definitely cry at the end.  I remember geeking out in theaters when they started playing Cat Stevens' Father and Son.

For some stupid reason, I was convinced to watch the Snyder Cut by someone at work, I had a whole afternoon to myself and figured why not. 

Good lord it’s shit, and thank God Snyder isn’t still making sequels to it. How the fuck would the sequels be any different? Darkseid (big CGI rumbly voiced evil thing) invades with a hoard of parademons. This is all teed up by a Batman premonition (he’s a prophet now apparently) in the previous film. The film doesn’t really have much to say, it’s just slow motion and posing and shit. 

This film; Steppenwolf (big CGI rumbly voiced evil thing but with horns) invades with a hoard of parademons. This is all teed up by a Batman premonition (he’s a prophet now apparently) in the previous film. The film doesn’t really have much to say, it’s just slow motion and posing and shit.

I just can’t fathom how Snyder was ever given a five film plan, he has ONE take on superheroes and should be given, at most, ONE film in the franchise.

Watched the first three episodes of Peacemaker. What is HBOMax doing with their release strategy btw? Either release it all to binge or do it weekly. They keep doing this three episodes at once thing. Station Eleven did three and then two at a time until the finale. Weird. 

Anyway I liked the show, the title sequence was jarring at first but has grown on me. I keep briefly thinking it's an MCU thing because Deadpool is there though. 

26 minutes ago, RumHam said:

"Batman doesn't kill people"

Uhh, did we forget which version of Batman we're talking about here? 

Another good episode, very curious where this is going. 

I'm still confused if The Suicide Squad takes place in the DCEU. It seems like a reboot, more than a sequel, despite having some of the same characters.

I suppose non of this will really matter, once Flash Point comes out this fall and resets the timeline.

I don't follow it like I do the MCU, but I just figured it was a sequel. Though it was odd that Flagg had to learn Waller was evil and shouldn't be trusted a second time. 

Just now, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They all do.

Yeah but I seem to recall this one was extra violent. Firing machine guns and branding people and sending them to their deaths. 

Archived