DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh?

I have never finished that movie. I got to the part where Nicholson was dancing around to some bad 80's music and was just like "you know what I'm not high enough for this shit right now" and then never got back to it. 

Just now, RumHam said:

I have never finished that movie. I got to the part where Nicholson was dancing around to some bad 80's music and was just like "you know what I'm not high enough for this shit right now" and then never got back to it. 

Bad 80's music?!!!!?

That soundtrack was by PRINCE!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Bad 80's music?!!!!?

That soundtrack was by PRINCE!!!!!

Haha I never got into his music. Maybe because the 80's were almost half over when I was born. I bet he has some good stuff but I just was not feeling this scene:

I mean that is something else. In the right mindset sure I could have appreciated it. But at that moment I was just like "what is happening." and turned it off. 

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Haha I never got into his music. Maybe because the 80's were almost half over when I was born. I bet he has some good stuff but I just was not feeling this scene

Both of the bolded statements suggest we can't be friends anymore.

41 minutes ago, RumHam said:

That video also leaves out the part where enormous .50 cal machine guns pop out of Tim Burtons Batmobile, for those that thought later versions looked "too militaristic". I thought Nolans version was amazing. 

I remember sitting in the theater watching TDK and seeing that guy get flattened in the garbage truck and thinking, "Holy Shit!" I looked around and literally no one else in the audience seemed to process it the way I did. I honestly think Nolan may have been winking at the audience with how loosely the character interpreted the overt "no killing" rule. 

The biggest difference between Snyder's Batman and previous versions (aside from the "tortured veteran" thing); that literally every CBM nerd missed while their heads were splitting in half from all the "blood and gore": No love interest. This was the first one not to have a 'Viki Vale' or 'Rachel Dawes' type tethering him to reality. 

Clooneys Batman almost does the same thing. But they do have a minor role for Elle MacPherson as Bruce Waynes girlfriend, although she isn't very consequential and I think she's only in one scene. Instead they have a femme fatale in Uma Thurman and a daughter surrogate in Alicia Silverstone.

59 minutes ago, sifth said:

I'm still confused if The Suicide Squad takes place in the DCEU. It seems like a reboot, more than a sequel, despite having some of the same characters.

It's both a reboot and a sequel.  I think it definitely exists in the DCEU, but also what even does that mean at this point?

I should really go back and try the '89 Batman again before Flashpoint. Like I said sometimes you're just not in the mood for something uuh.... like that. Plus I remember Danny DeVito is The Penguin in the second one. I can't imagine that's not entertaining. Though I only remember bits and pieces of it from my childhood. 

28 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I should really go back and try the '89 Batman again before Flashpoint. Like I said sometimes you're just not in the mood for something uuh.... like that. Plus I remember Danny DeVito is The Penguin in the second one.

Burton's two batmans are a lot of fun if you like early-career Burton.

47 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I should really go back and try the '89 Batman again before Flashpoint. Like I said sometimes you're just not in the mood for something uuh.... like that. Plus I remember Danny DeVito is The Penguin in the second one. I can't imagine that's not entertaining. Though I only remember bits and pieces of it from my childhood. 

I did a group movie night this past Holiday season, where me and four friends each picked a Christmas/Holiday film and we watched it together. One friend picked Batman Returns, because he couldn't think of a good Holiday film. It holds up really well, despite them clearly only having one major set for a lot of the action scenes.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I remember being grossed out by the Penguin.. especially in that nose biting scene. Also, the penguin army was kind of ridiculous even though I do remember having the toy versions, complete with rocket launchers strapped to their backs, as a kid.

8 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I remember being grossed out by the Penguin.. especially in that nose biting scene. Also, the penguin army was kind of ridiculous even though I do remember having the toy versions, complete with rocket launchers strapped to their backs, as a kid.

I mean compared to some of the violence shown in the recent Suicide Squad film and Peacemaker, that scene is relatively tame by comparison.

28 minutes ago, sifth said:

I mean compared to some of the violence shown in the recent Suicide Squad film and Peacemaker, that scene is relatively tame by comparison.

Yeah but both of those are basically rated R and I imagine had quite a bit of humor in them to help "lighten" the tone. Batman Returns was PG-13 and I recall little, if any, humor given Tim Burton's gothic style. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had no idea any of those except Batman were being released this year.

Let's hope WB/DC has learned from the past and can move forward.

Love the look of Hawkman. Is he in the Flash or Black Adam?

46 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Love the look of Hawkman. Is he in the Flash or Black Adam?

Hawkman and Dr Fate are both in Black Adam.

46 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I had no idea any of those except Batman were being released this year.

Let's hope WB/DC has learned from the past and can move forward.

WW84 was a baffling mess of a film. Interesting how, after being WB's biggest tentpole release of 2020, that one's disappeared down the memory hole. 

TSS was very one-note. Fun but forgettable. Boring on re-watch.

BoP was an R rated action-comedy that was unremarkable in both categories. 

Shazam! had some serious problems, regardless of the critical consensus.

Given their recent track record, I'm not optimistic. The Batman is the only thing out of this bunch I have any enthusiasm for. I might catch the rest when they hit HBO.  

The world needs heroes...here's Black Adam...

Really though...MAYBE Flash...but the first Aquaman was meh. Still can't bring myself.to watch Shazam!, so why bother with Black Adam...and Batman?  Zero interest and nothing brought by the trailers has raised said interest.  

It sucks too...because there are DC stories I like...

Archived