DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Has Ezra Miller ever been a “bankable for film” kind of actor?

Serious question.

Hollywood seems to think so, given their role as The Flash and as Dumbeldore in Fantastic Beasts, their breakthrough performance in The Perks of Being a Wallflower which got them a lot of critical and awards interest, and so on. Google Trends shows huge search peaks for them compared to Gustin. Admittedly, the latest have to do with their various assaults and strange behavior, but they stretch back before they started drawing scandal to their name.

Maybe someone here will remember - a friend and I were talking last night, and we both recall having seen a video essay about Snyder DC movies, and we both recall a line that went something along the lines of "Snyder loves slow-mo shots to make every moment significant. But if every moment is significant, then none are". 

Or something *like* that. 

Does anyone have *any* clue what Breadtuber/Youtuber/Film Critic it might have been that said something along this line? It's driving me bonkers that I can't remember. 

They're not going to replace Miller with Gustin, trust me I'd love for that to happen, but they wont. TV actors and movie ones basically live in different worlds. I personally was never a huge fan of Miller as the flash anyway, since they sort of portrayed the character as a joke in both versions of the The Justice League, which is something Barry Allen never is. It's as if for some daft reason the WB wanted Barry Allen to have Walley West's personality.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Hollywood seems to think so, given their role as The Flash and as Dumbeldore in Fantastic Beasts

Jude Law plays Dumbledore in those films, I don't think anyone is watching them for Miller's role as a secondary villain.

3 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Jude Law plays Dumbledore in those films, I don't think anyone is watching them for Miller's role as a secondary villain.

Ah, I saw "Dumbledore" and assumed there was just the one. I'm not a Potter fan and know virtually nothing about it. 

Regardless, for whatever reason, Hollywood has decided that they are a film actor, not a TV actor.

14 hours ago, Ran said:

Ah, I saw "Dumbledore" and assumed there was just the one. I'm not a Potter fan and know virtually nothing about it. 

Regardless, for whatever reason, Hollywood has decided that they are a film actor, not a TV actor.

Hasn't Grant Gustin appeared in movies? Doesn't that qualify him for the status of 'movie actor' as well? 

33 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Hasn't Grant Gustin appeared in movies? Doesn't that qualify him for the status of 'movie actor' as well? 

Two horrendously reviewed movies in 2014 and 2017, and a cheesy afternoon special-style Netflix movie about a state trooper and his collie in 2022. Suffice it to say, he is a TV actor, he whiffed twice in a row in Hollywood and that kind of set the tone of things. He's not a leading man.

33 minutes ago, Ran said:

Two horrendously reviewed movies in 2014 and 2017, and a cheesy afternoon special-style Netflix movie about a state trooper and his collie in 2022. Suffice it to say, he is a TV actor, he whiffed twice in a row in Hollywood and that kind of set the tone of things. He's not a leading man.

Rescued by Ruby. 

Ye gods, is his agent demented or something? 

Vancouver actors tend to be "tv" actors. I'm sure someone will post exceptions, and there are certainly a bunch, but a lot of shows are filmed there with a certain style and acting presence required. Maybe it's the directors more than the actors that train them to expect certain blocking.

Regardless, I can usually spot Vancouver-based shows (or Netflix/Amazon movie) pretty quickly based on the acting style.

While I doubt they'll cast Gustin, it should be noted that WB has at least recognized the CW shows. And perhaps casting Gustin will earn them some points with fans. But they may find someone better, who will do justice to the role. 

I wonder if Barry was set to appear as a cameo in the next Aquaman movie. Out of all the main JL guys, he is the one who can show up anywhere and at any time.

I mean, some TV actors clearly can cross over- and I'm convinced that if he hadn't committed to Supernatural for so absurdly overlong Jensen Ackles would have Chris Pratt's career - but I dunno that Gustin is one of them. He's got a very likeable screen presence but... kinda not much more?  

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, some TV actors clearly can cross over- and I'm convinced that if he hadn't committed to Supernatural for so absurdly overlong Jensen Ackles would have Chris Pratt's career - but I dunno that Gustin is one of them. He's got a very likeable screen presence but... kinda not much more?  

Looking at actors who could replace Miller, one popped up who is a clear example of a crossover: Dylan O'Brien, big break was a lead inTeen Wolf for several years and has since transitioned into Hollywood films starting with the Maze Runner and including things he's starred in, an Antoine Fuqua-directed SF film, a feature starring Mark Rylance, and some other stuff upcoming. I have no idea of how good he has been in these films, how they've rated, etc., but it seems clear he successfully made the jump and is considered to be someone you cast in movies. 

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That My Bloody Valentine remake he starred in is one of my guilty pleasures. It's ridiculous but he's good in it.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

If you are going to replace Ezra Miller then just get Robert Sheehan from Umbrella Academy and Misfits. The guy is great but I’ve always considered him a budget Miller anyway, and get them mixed up, so he’d be my first choice.

He's a good actor, I will admit. Miller clearly has to go though, the guy has clearly become a liability to the IP.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

And he's in the MCU, too.

Odds are we're not going to see much of the Eternal moving forward anyway. While that film certainly didn't flop, it didn't generate much money either.

Archived