DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

15 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

WW84 clocked in at 2.5 hours. That thing could have lost 30 minutes easily and it'd still be just as baffling.

I'd love to hear what went on with WW84. Baffling is the perfect word. Also around that time it and American Horror Story both used 84 in their titles just to mean "mid-80's" and not like.... 1984.

I don't mind that at all. Dune clocks in at around 2.5 hours as well. Watching that in a theater, it held my attention the whole time. I wish there was more of it. Supposedly the banquet scene was shot but was cut out. I wish they'd left that in. 

My problem is I like to have a drink and then can't go 2.5 hours without having to pee. Watching at home I don't even notice how long a good movie is.

But also I feel like at this point if you don't think you can tell a story in < 3 hours then you want a miniseries, not a movie. Any situation where stuff is being compressed or dragged out because the wrong format or episode count was chosen is not ideal.

50 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'd love to hear what went on with WW84. Baffling is the perfect word. Also around that time it and American Horror Story both used 84 in their titles just to mean "mid-80's" and not like.... 1984.

The thing is they put it in this historical frame and completely ignore the actual history. Egypt was a democracy in 1984. We know who the President and prime minster were. We know they had a parliament. They sure as hell didn't have an Emir who had control over the country's oil reserves. And one thing that has never happened ever is Egypt selling crude oil to Saudi Arabia. A country that literally has the most productive oil industry in history. And, in the 1980's, was producing 10-20 times what Egypt was. This is "selling snow to the Inuit" levels of stupidity. 

Why does Maxwell Lord not have a moments hesitation at being turned into a giant boulder when he wishes to be the wishing stone? This thing has a tendency to give you wishes but they come out kinda sideways.

Why are there gold bars in the back of the DeBeers at the local shopping mall? Do they have an actual goldsmith toiling away back there? Does his furnace share a wall with the JC Penny? And why are these criminals idiots so excited for the gold anyway? Pound for pound, cut diamonds are way more valuable than gold; in any universe.

Oh, she took out the cameras. Oh good. And all the witnesses will keep their mouth shut. My god I love this movie. 

50 minutes ago, RumHam said:

My problem is I like to have a drink and then can't go 2.5 hours without having to pee. Watching at home I don't even notice how long a good movie is.

Pfft. Kids these days. Us gen-X'ers had to hold our bladders for LOTR: Return of the King so, eat my ass.

I still have a great memory of seeing it with my younger sister. We're all waiting for the credits to roll and the thing just keeps going. My sister turns to me and whispers, "I really have to pee." I start chuckling uncontrollably. I'm able to keep it down but I can't stop. Then she starts giggling. Then some people around us start. No one said, "Hey man, I'm trying to watch this."

Good times. 

I'm rather thankful I got to watch Wonder Woman 1984 at home. To say that film had issues, would be an understatement, but I'm thankful I was able to see it for free. Plus if nothing else, Pedro Pascal is always fun, even when he's playing a character that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

31 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Pfft. Kids these days. Us gen-X'ers had to hold our bladders for LOTR: Return of the King so, eat my ass.

I still have a great memory of seeing it with my younger sister. We're all waiting for the credits to roll and the thing just keeps going. My sister turns to me and whispers, "I really have to pee." I start chuckling uncontrollably. I'm able to keep it down but I can't stop. Then she starts giggling. Then some people around us start. No one said, "Hey man, I'm trying to watch this."

Good times. 

I was in college when that came out. I didn't see it I think just because it was christmas break. I did watch the extended trilogy dvds at some point before I graduated. And yes I was totally that guy asking why the eagles didn't take them.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I'm rather thankful I got to watch Wonder Woman 1984 at home. To say that film had issues, would be an understatement, but I'm thankful I was able to see it for free. Plus if nothing else, Pedro Pascal is always fun, even when he's playing a character that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that and AI wrote the bulk of the script. That or Joss Whedon made good on his alleged promise to Gal Gadot. 

If we lived in the timeline where Covid never happened: A business-as-usual-cinema-landscape and WW84 hits its original summer 2020 release date; I suspect the critical reaction would have been much more brutal. 

The original release was supposed to be June 5 2020. That means it would have opened with No Time to Die, The Green Knight and Black Widow in theaters. In the following month, Soul, Top Gun, Minions, and Free Guy open. It would have gotten shredded.

As far as Box office, it would have done basically the same thing BvS did: It would have had a monster, possibly record breaking opening weekend, and by the second week word of mouth would have killed it. Within days you'd have editorials in every industry rag about "DC getting back on track" and some such. No way it cracks a billion.

Not for nothing; I'd really like to know who the critics were who got pre-release copies of the film to review. 90% RT consensus for that crowd. That makes them persons of interest in my book. Despite that I love it. 

ETA: Pedro was much funnier in The Bubble, which is a much better movie.

:rofl:Wonder Twins films announced casting a couple weeks ago and now it's cancelled, likely due to the WarnerMedia merger with Discovery Channel resetting the creative direction of the whole slate of DC films allowed them to realize what a bad idea it was.

11 hours ago, sifth said:

In my head-canon, Alastair wishes that his dad was as badass as Boba Fett…

And so Lord became the Mandalorian.

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

:rofl:Wonder Twins films announced casting a couple weeks ago and now it's cancelled, likely due to the WarnerMedia merger with Discovery Channel resetting the creative direction of the whole slate of DC films allowed them to realize what a bad idea it was.

There was an explosion of new DC films projects announced last year, which was really odd because of the sheer number of them and the randomness of some of the choices. Wonder Twins? Really? I think I said at the time that half this stuff would never see the light of day. 

Most likely, what was happening was that Warner Media execs were trying to get as many irons in the fire as possible so they could all justify their jobs to their new bosses 12-18 months hence. Take Green Lantern Corps: a project that has been in development at least since 2014 in one form or another. Middle of last year there were a handful of casting announcements and not a peep since. As far as I know, they're still in pre-prduction.

Given how quick DC typically is to announce projects (New Gods? Nightwing? Blackhawks?) If there had been any progress, we'd know it. 

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Are there any licensing rights they are trying to keep hold of by putting movies into production?

Warner owns DC, so it's not that sort of situation. I suspect it has less to do with people trying to justify their jobs ahead of an expected change in ownership, and more to do with media corporations trying to build juggernauts out of their IP as the streaming wars heat up.

I've been watching the HBO Harley Quinn cartoon the past week.  What a cast.  Kaley Cuoco and Lake Bell are awesome as Harley and Poison Ivy.  Alan Tudyk plays both the Joker and Clayface.  Ron Funches is hilarious in a very different take on King Shark than the recent Suicide Squad reboot.  Tony Hale is great as the canceled Dr. Psycho who gets a second chance on Harley's crew.  Jason Alexander plays Poison Ivy's landlord, Sy Borgman.  JB Smoove is a fucking plant.  Giancarlo Esposito plays Lex Luthor.  The list goes on and on.  

It's a great show.  Just good, dumb fun.  It's a weird sort of hybrid between Deadpool and Batman: The Animated Series.  

22 hours ago, Ran said:

Warner owns DC, so it's not that sort of situation. I suspect it has less to do with people trying to justify their jobs ahead of an expected change in ownership, and more to do with media corporations trying to build juggernauts out of their IP as the streaming wars heat up.

I'm sure "Wonder Twins" had the competition shaking in their boots. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:00 PM, sifth said:

Y'know, I was probably a bit too harsh on Pedro. He actually delivered a pretty good performance in that film; given what he had to work with.

26 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm sure "Wonder Twins" had the competition shaking in their boots. 

If it was a Shazam style light family comedy, could have worked very well. Who knows?

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

And it didn't exactly light the box office on fire. It was the lowest grossing DC film since Green Lantern. 

Instead of gross, consider ROI. Shazam! was a very efficient performer, outdoing all but Suicide SquadWonder Woman, and Aquaman.

Archived