DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

I feel like this thread has devoted an awful lot of posts and wordcount to hash out a character trait in Superman that exists not because he's a power fantasy of choosing who lives and dies but because the essential nature of superhero stories is that they occur in a world that resembles our own and superman (and Reed Richards, and any other super-power or super-genius hero) has been written into a corner where there's a conflict between the fantasy powerset given him and the basic fact that if you really took him to his logical conclusion it would no longer be a superhero story it would be some stripe of SF.

13 hours ago, Ran said:

Yeah, Drew McWeeny made this point and had a bunch of angry Snyder fanatics jump all over him. But Terrio's position there is just absurd.

This is the "point" McWeeny was making. Maybe a little less salty next time Drew.

Edit: apparently he also posted something comparing elements of the snyder cut fandom to police brutality that has some of the POC snyder cut fans buzzing. I haven't seen it as he has since deleted the tweet. 

• 3 weeks later...

WB dropped this today. -BOOM- So many down votes...

The damn trailer even includes footage that isn't even in the theatrical cut. Nice.

Just what the world needs. A diet-coke-of-evil Steppenwolf, the wonder woman boob-plant, and  Henry Cavill's messed up face uttering the immortal, "hope is like car keys" line in glorious 4K resolution. And the red. So much red.

Edit: I'm speculating, but the footage might be a problem for WB. There has always been a question of whether or not ZSJL is officially a directors cut of an existing film or a new film. This had implications regarding who gets credited for what, whether or not new contracts needed to be drawn up and whether or not people had to get paid again for their work. ZSJL has its own IMDB page with a different list of producers, Whedon's name removed, an additional story credit for Will Beall, Holkenborg's credit and re-score, and Stone Quarry added as a production company. This suggest to me that this was, officially, its own film.

If that's the case, WB's new JL 4K trailer has footage in it that only appears in another movie. Oops.

That's a variant on the "Heroes" trailer from 2017, just a little shorter. Seems like a handy reminder of the DCEU canon film for Snyder fans who still hope to see a return of the Snyderverse.

In truth, the ridiculous thing is that they've been releasing 4k trailers for back catalog. There's a cool 2001 4k trailer and a Godzilla (2014) 4k trailer as well from the last month. Plus there's a bunch of Harry Potter feautrettes being posted as well. They're basically reuploading old content and 4k versions of trailers. 

On 4/8/2021 at 6:06 PM, Karlbear said:

Personally I think it's monstrous that someone with Kryptonian tech and a super intellect and the abilities he has to not create a post-scarcity world that has any need for banks, much less bank robbers. 

What did the Kryptonian Tech do to Krypton?  Isn’t that reason enough to hold back on that with Earth?

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What did the Kryptonian Tech do to Krypton?  Isn’t that reason enough to hold back on that with Earth?

I think you're being a bit of an alarmist. There's no proven science linking Kryptonian Tech to the destruction of Krypton. These things happen naturally in cycles. Sure the planet is exploaded now but that's part of a natural process that's been occurring since before the Kryptonians even existed. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think you're being a bit of an alarmist. There's no proven science linking Kryptonian Tech to the destruction of Krypton. These things happen naturally in cycles. Sure the planet is exploaded now but that's part of a natural process that's been occurring since before the Kryptonians even existed. 

Boooooo...

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Look, Kryptonian  tech doesn't kill people, Kryptonians do. Don't blame the tool use on the tool!

12 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Perhaps if Wonder Woman 1984 was more beige, you'd like it better?

I love it for the baffling, incoherent, train wreck of a film that it is. I love that this is yet another film that does its part to discredit the review aggregator model. 

No Sir, I wouldn't change a thing.

Que angry white people crying nerd tears - 

https://screencrush.com/warner-bros-black-superman-film-director/

Warner Bros. and DC are dedicated to finding a Black director to helm their upcoming Superman movie. This will also be the first cinematic incarnation of Superman to be portrayed by a Black actor. We already know that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the script and J.J. Abrams is producing, but we have yet to learn who will direct.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Que angry white people crying nerd tears - 

https://screencrush.com/warner-bros-black-superman-film-director/

Warner Bros. and DC are dedicated to finding a Black director to helm their upcoming Superman movie. This will also be the first cinematic incarnation of Superman to be portrayed by a Black actor. We already know that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the script and J.J. Abrams is producing, but we have yet to learn who will direct.

Feels unnecessary to me.  Doesn’t feel “organic.”  Almost more like they’re doing it to grab headlines than because it’s a natural extension of the Superman Ethos.

But that may be my disillusionment with DC talking.  I can just see the boardroom on this “Marvel’s biggest success was Black Panther.  You know what we should do... here’s a crazy idea:  Superman... but he’s black.”  I just don’t think it’s all that crazy to imagine a whiteboard in a conference room somewhere that says “Needs more blacks” circled in bright red.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

Of course it’s a political move, probably made in a boardroom to improve their corporate image.

It’s also one of those things which could be so obviously divisive, like its saying ‘hey we made superman black! What you gonna do about it racists! Take that! Pow!’

So any negative reaction to the movie can be held up as proof of racism and they can champion the movie as a shining light for progressives. doesn’t really matter if it’s good or not.

It all depends how they handle it though, Spiderverse is ‘here’s a version of Spider-Man where he’s black’ but also there is Peter Parker Spider-Man .. so there really isn’t any huge outcry. Plus Spiderverse isn’t overtly political.

Im assuming this is just another version of Superman in the same way there are multiple Batman’s and Jokers in the DC films right now. 

But is it clear there are still other versions of superman coming up? Is Cavill done? That’s where there might also be a problem.

So there is a risk that you just piss off people who are still waiting for a faithful adaptation of Superman to come along, one less cynical than the Snyder version, and that they just want a pretty standard take that is done well, rather than having a one sided political sermon shoved down their throat, which given past history, it is quite likely that is what they will get. 

But I guess if they don’t like it.. well they must just be ‘angry white people’.

44 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It all depends how they handle it though, Spiderverse is ‘here’s a version of Spider-Man where he’s black’ but also there is Peter Parker Spider-Man .. so there really isn’t any huge outcry. Plus Spiderverse isn’t overtly political.

BIG LOL

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Feels unnecessary to me.  Doesn’t feel “organic.”  Almost more like they’re doing it to grab headlines than because it’s a natural extension of the Superman Ethos.

But that may be my disillusionment with DC talking.  I can just see the boardroom on this “Marvel’s biggest success was Black Panther.  You know what we should do... here’s a crazy idea:  Superman... but he’s black.”  I just don’t think it’s all that crazy to imagine a whiteboard in a conference room somewhere that says “Needs more blacks” circled in bright red.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

Or how about developing any number of the interesting, already-existing black characters in the DC canon? Like a Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, or Jon Stewart Green Lantern story any time in the last 4 years? Take my money.

Even money says this is a clumsy attempt to counter the ongoing Ray Fisher beef and the Wayne T. Carr GL stuff that's been hitting the web lately. Or it's just a speculative article designed to get clicks. The THR article doesn't quote any studio executive by name; instead citing "inside sources".  Beyond that there's nothing in that article that wasn't revealed over a month ago.

Archived