DCEU: Enter the Snyderverse

Rhom

On 8/6/2021 at 8:49 PM, Kaligator said:

It was...fine? A whole lot of the good parts got put in the trailer, and the whole ratcatcher thing didn't land for me at all.

Same. Not great but OK.

Parts of it seemed to drag. I liked the third act. The ongoing gag with Polka-Dot Man was good. Needed more Capaldi and Rooker.

Definitely better than the mess they put out a few years ago. Though that's not saying much.

I thought there was an over reliance on flashbacks and time jumps to tell the story. Not that it was bad per se but some of it felt unnecessary. Same for the chapter titles, but that's minor.

Speaking of the third act, it was like putting on welding goggles and watching The Godfather. Maybe next time the delightfully twisted mind of James Gunn can crank up the brightness a little. And maybe cool down the color temperature. We're not living in a volcano after all.

I enjoyed it. It's not really much of a Suicide Squad movie in the vein of the comics, in that the Suicide Squad isn't usually really a comedy vehicle, least not in the most iconic runs, but I wasn't expecting it to be and it succeeded at what it did aim for rather than falling between two stools as was one of the very many problems with the first one.

Could have done with more Capaldi, but ultimately Starro was a surprisingly sympathetic villain considering he's a giant, facehugger flinging alien starfish. 

I enjoyed most of the Squad but, as ever, Margot Robbie as Harley is magnetic. Give Gotham City Sirens to someone who isn't David Ayer and then make it, pls. 

Sneaky little Peacemaker spinoff setup in the credits... I did enjoy the character to be fair but I wonder how well he's suited to carrying an eight-episode TV show. 

I don't blame Ayer entirely for Suicide Squad, and he's got good films in his locker, but nothing in his history as a writer or director suggests he's the write guy to do Gotham City Sirens. His Squad might well have been better if they hadn't forced goofy humour onto what was undoubtedly the darker tone he went for, but GSS is goofy and humorous. He's completely the wrong guy. 

At any rate, the lackluster performance of Birds of Prey probably put an end to any speculation on Gotham City Sirens. Since New Gods and Trench got binned WB have announced a slew of new projects in active development, and GSS isn't among them. Not to mention the stuff they've announced years ago that's still supposedly ongoing (Nightwing, Blackhawks) 

Half of those projects will either end up as direct-to-video animated films or never see the light of day. More than likely it's about the existing regime being able to justify their jobs to the the new owners in 1-2 years time.  

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Give Gotham City Sirens to someone who is David Ayer and leave him alone to do his thing. 

A twitter user recently asked Ayer what was the most difficult scene to cut out of his SS. His response, "The first 40 minutes". It's not his fault that movie turned into what it was.  

Was the Leto Joker in his original cut of the film?  Because if so, that movie was going to be trash regardless.  

On 8/7/2021 at 12:45 PM, briantw said:

Bloodsport is mentioned as having been in prison for putting Superman in the ICU with a kryptonite bullet.  Of course, that could have been years ago.  We don't know how long he's been in jail. 

It must be a different universe than Snyder's Justice League then.  Didn't Superman only begin appearing as his costumed identity in Man of Steel?  By that time Harley is dead, killed by Batfleck.

I have to say, I'm starting to warm up to TSS a bit more. 

24 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It must be a different universe than Snyder's Justice League then.  Didn't Superman only begin appearing as his costumed identity in Man of Steel?  By that time Harley is dead, killed by Batfleck.

The first Suicide Squad film takes place post BvS, so no he didn't.

Edit: Batfleck doesn't murder Harley in the Snyderverse.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

This being the DCU, it's probably best to just not think about it.  They have no idea what the fuck they're doing at this point, so I'm just going to enjoy when they actually put out a movie that isn't complete dog shit.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

At any rate, the lackluster performance of Birds of Prey probably put an end to any speculation on Gotham City Sirens. Since New Gods and Trench got binned WB have announced a slew of new projects in active development, and GSS isn't among them. Not to mention the stuff they've announced years ago that's still supposedly ongoing (Nightwing, Blackhawks) 

Suspect they're waiting on how TSS  performs before deciding what to do with Harley, though I doubt they bin her entirely in any case. They might change priorities, either (well, definitely) bringing the budget down or changing director (be it Yan or Ayer, since both want to continue a Harley-based project, but it might go to neither) but both actress and character are too prominent to bin the idea of Harley-led films off entirely I think.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

It's evil Superman who kills Harley eventually in a movie that will never get made. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's evil Superman who kills Harley eventually in a movie that will never get made. 

Pretty sure Dewey Crowe was supposed to kill her but Tarantino nixed that as part of his wish-fulfillment.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Sneaky little Peacemaker spinoff setup in the credits... I did enjoy the character to be fair but I wonder how well he's suited to carrying an eight-episode TV show. 

I loved Cena's performance, and I'm looking forward to his show.

Bautista, this is what actual acting looks like.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I loved Cena's performance, and I'm looking forward to his show.

Bautista, this is what actual acting looks like.

eh?

This is Cena's first role where his acting was good. Like all the pro-wrestlers before him, Cena sucked in his first movies.

Bautista has gotten much better, too. His small role in Blade Runner 2049 showed he has acting chops. And he gave as good as the writing was as Drax the Destroyer. 

11 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

eh?

This is Cena's first role where his acting was good. Like all the pro-wrestlers before him, Cena sucked in his first movies.

Bautista has gotten much better, too. His small role in Blade Runner 2049 showed he has acting chops. And he gave as good as the writing was as Drax the Destroyer. 

Fair enough. It's the only thing I've seen him in, and his performance was leagues ahead of anything I've seen from Squinty Dave. 

Have you seen that Snyder zombie flick? He was dreadful in that.

11 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

eh?

Yeah I think Batista has been good in most of what I’ve seen him in.  He was great in the first Guardians.  Not so much in the second one but that’s more because the jokes felt a lot more forced and they relied too much on him sarcastically laughing at Quill. 

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

He was pretty funny in the Amy Schumer movie I thought.

Archived