About Euron's Eye...

Matahari

So I have a question: Exactly how many people know about Euron's eye under his eyepatch, let alone its colour? Victarion's POVs seem to imply that he's well aware his brother's eyepatch is a mask, while Aeron has outright seen it in person. I don't remember Asha's POV noting anything significant about Euron's eyes. And that wouldn't be strange at all, if it weren't for this interesting tidbit from her little brother:

"Under it he wore a stained white leather eye patch that reminded Theon of his uncle Euron. He’d wanted to rip it off Umber’s face, to make certain that underneath was only an empty socket, not a black eye shining with malice."

- TWOW sample chapter

Theon hasn't seen Euron for 10 years. Nothing from his POVs suggests any significant connection with his uncle. Yet in the sample chapter, not only is it implied that Theon fears his uncle more than he lets on, but that Theon has actually seen the infamous "blood-eye" in the flesh. Now, I can believe that both Euron's brothers know about his hidden eye (they grew up with him, after all) but it's very odd how Asha doesn't seem aware of it, yet Theon can recall it with crystal clarity. This begs the question: How does Theon know about the eye? Was it an open secret in the family or something? Did Euron openly flaunt his "blood-eye" in the past and the eyepatch was just a recent development? Or is Theon aware of Euron's true nature, perhaps due to a certain encounter in childhood...?

(i wrote this while i'm half awake; hopefully it doesn't show)

1 hour ago, Matahari said:

So I have a question: Exactly how many people know about Euron's eye under his eyepatch, let alone its colour? Victarion's POVs seem to imply that he's well aware his brother's eyepatch is a mask, while Aeron has outright seen it in person. I don't remember Asha's POV noting anything significant about Euron's eyes. And that wouldn't be strange at all, if it weren't for this interesting tidbit from her little brother:

Theon hasn't seen Euron for 10 years. Nothing from his POVs suggests any significant connection with his uncle. Yet in the sample chapter, not only is it implied that Theon fears his uncle more than he lets on, but that Theon has actually seen the infamous "blood-eye" in the flesh. Now, I can believe that both Euron's brothers know about his hidden eye (they grew up with him, after all) but it's very odd how Asha doesn't seem aware of it, yet Theon can recall it with crystal clarity. This begs the question: How does Theon know about the eye? Was it an open secret in the family or something? Did Euron openly flaunt his "blood-eye" in the past and the eyepatch was just a recent development? Or is Theon aware of Euron's true nature, perhaps due to a certain encounter in childhood...?

(i wrote this while i'm half awake; hopefully it doesn't show)

As for how Theon knows, I would guess it’s a combination of “open secret” and “certain encounter in childhood”. I have no idea how many people actually know. The two eyes of Euron is a fascinating topic. It is presented in both the metaphorical and literal sense. 

In my opinion, originally both of Euron's eyes were blue. Then he went either to Asshai or to Qarth, met there shadowbinder Quaithe (who is actually Shiera Seastar and the Three-Eyed Crow), and became her apprentice. Thru blood magic Shiera is connected with Euron. She is able to see whatever he sees thru his "blood eye". That's why his nickname is the Crow's Eye, because he is the Three-Eyed Crow's third eye. Some time ago Euron betrayed his teacher and their paths separated. So now he is covering his blood eye to prevent Shiera from spying on him.

Archived