Watch, Watched, Watching: The Shield lands on top

Veltigar

25 minutes ago, RumHam said:

But it's tv so it has to keep going. 

Hide contents

Walt really had to both watch Jane die and cause a plane crash because he met her dad in a bar. The man is manufacturing a drug that ruins countless lives but lets make sure the lines are clear.  [/spoiler?]

This makes me sad. It's such a shame that stories can't end when they need to just because money (I mean, I know money is the whole reason shows are made)... I hate seeing shows get dragged out and go downhill after they've finished telling the story. You see less of this in UK television. 

I once had a massive argument with someone from this board (it was IRL) about splitting the last HP film into two and how bad that was. This person said WB were obliged to make the money (that was obviously on the table from the franchise) by doing the two films instead of one. I dunno, I accept that's how things are...sort of, but I don't like it. 

18 minutes ago, Isis said:

This makes me sad. It's such a shame that stories can't end when they need to just because money (I mean, I know money is the whole reason shows are made)... I hate seeing shows get dragged out and go downhill after they've finished telling the story. You see less of this in UK television. 

I once had a massive argument with someone from this board (it was IRL) about splitting the last HP film into two and how bad that was. This person said WB were obliged to make the money (that was obviously on the table from the franchise) by doing the two films instead of one. I dunno, I accept that's how things are...sort of, but I don't like it. 

Everyone shits on LOST for being a meandering piece of shit. and that's one of the things it was. but it was also a lot of fun and a changed network dramas in the US to be more serialized. 

18 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I started watching Breaking Bad. I saw the first season years ago before it went mainstream and I never really bothered with any of the subsequent seasons even when it became a hype. After the positive experience with The Shield I decided to give it another go and see whether the hype was worth it.

Two episodes in and I remember why I bailed after one season. Walter White is quite compelling, but everyone else is just awfully boring so far. Worse is Walter White's wife though, she's such a nag. No wonder this guy opted for a life of crime, I wouldn't hesitate to do so either if it got me away from the house.

You don't have to like Skyler, I didn't like her either.  But I loved this show and it gets better.

Wow, Killing Eve must have been the shortest crush I ever had on a show. I'm almost hate-watching now. The season 2 plot is ridiculous, the heroine is a victim of her emotions... Sigh.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Wow, Killing Eve must have been the shortest crush I ever had on a show. I'm almost hate-watching now. The season 2 plot is ridiculous, the heroine is a victim of her emotions... Sigh.

:lol:  You were warned to stop at the end of season 1.

5 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I didn't even try S2, everyone said it got shit and I quite liked the ambiguity of where it ended. 

I finished up season one of Breaking Bad. I'll continue with it, as I did enjoy it, but I think all in all I probably will end up agreeing with @RumHam that it is good but over rated. I'll be curious to see what goes on as it seems people here seem to agree it picks up at the end of season two.

My biggest complaint so far is basically everything unrelated to Walt's criminal career. I think his character is pretty fascinating and I'm not surprised everyone raves about his arc. I just find everyone else in this series incredibly annoying from Jessie's constant "Yo" to Skyler's "I'm going to be the most annoying nag ever" attitude and the rest of his family which are all kind of one note.

I'm glued to the screen when Walter is in his Heisenberg persona and Jessie doesn't open his mouth. The home stuff and the criminal stuff when Jessie is talking that's what irritates me. This show either needs a lot more Heisenberg or those other aspects of Walt's on screen life need to drastically step up in the coming season to validate the hype around the show for me. I hope I'll be blown away of course, as you can never have enough good tv.

So far though, in comparison to The Shield which I saw just before this, the first season came up short.

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

Warrior renewed for a season 3 through HBO MAX? That makes me so happy. I didn't see that coming.

Damn, is the second season any good? I wasn't blown away by the first one and as I assumed it got cancelled I wasn't planning on watching the second one, but now I have to perhaps reconsider.

14 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

You don't have to like Skyler, I didn't like her either.  But I loved this show and it gets better.

I'll hang in there, but I feel like hating on Skyler must have been like a trendy thing to do back when this show was on air XD

On 4/14/2021 at 3:33 AM, DMC said:

IMO Breaking Bad didn't start to get Really Good until around the end of Season 2, and continued to consistently get better and better until the end of Season 4.

I hope I end up agreeing with you and not with @WarGalley on this one :)M

On 4/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, RumHam said:

It's not really fair to judge season one on it's own because it was cut short by the writers strike. Personally I think the show is overrated. When it peaks it's soooo great. But it's tv so it has to keep going. 

They did a really great job with the casting  and I suspect a lot of the show shows success stems from that. But Gillian and co have improved their craft, Better Call Saul is a less flashy story, told better. 

Breaking Bad spoilers (at least the end of season two) 

Reveal hidden contents

Walt really had to both watch Jane die and cause a plane crash because he met her dad in a bar. The man is manufacturing a drug that ruins countless lives but lets make sure the lines are clear.  [/spoiler?]

I really want to read that spoiler now, but I'll refrain myself XD 

The great things I hear about Better Call Saul is actually one of the things that made me want to revisit Breaking Bad. Missing out on one great show sure, but two? 

On 4/14/2021 at 7:38 AM, Heartofice said:

I liked BB immediately, I think that first episode is a fantastic pilot for the show. I've said this to friends before but if you don't really like the show after the first season then i don't expect it's going to grow on you that much more. It does get better but the seeds for what make it good are there from the start.

There is a period where the show does drag it's heels and feels like it's just recycling things, probably around season 5 if I remember? And yeah, Walt's wife is always going to be an irritating nag, that never changes.

So she doesn't get murdered by some kingpin Walt has pissed off at some point? That's a missed opportunity :P

I think BB hits its peak at around season 4? Can’t remember because they broke it up weirdly.

I tend to agree that Jesse is a bit irritating at first but that also the show was a little more slapstick and broad early on and gets darker, and those supporting characters tend to grow into it 

Just now, Zorral said:

There is certainly more story to be had here.

Another series resuscitated by a streamer.  Not all of them are worth resuscitation, though one thinks this series is. 

I mean, to be fair, it's basically HBO Max that killed it when they said it wasn't aligned with their brand when HBO shut down all of the Cinemax original programming (or something like this).

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I like Breaking Bad but watching it directly after watching The Shield definitely wouldn’t help me appreciate it more. The Shield is just better imo

Ive never rewatched BB and never felt the needs. Def watched The Shield twice, maybe even three times?

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I hope I end up agreeing with you and not with @WarGalley on this one :)

I hope it works out for you but I'm a little surprised by the general reaction to Season 1 vs 2 and onwards. I quite enjoyed Season 1 and think it's one of the stronger ones though I've never done a complete episodes-in-sequence rewatch. Going forward, you will get more Heisenberg, but you'll also be getting more Jesse and Skylar too so... yeah.

Archived