Watch, Watched, Watching: The Shield lands on top

Veltigar

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I finished season 3 of Breaking Bad yesterday and I think I'm striking out on my own from here on out opinion wise. Overall, I think this season was actually worse than season 1 and 2. The maddening coincides and ineptitude of the criminals remains absolutely stunning. 

There were also several stretches of the show that I was just kind of... bored. At its best, I can enjoy it without it ever becoming must-watch television. At its worst though, as in the filler fly episode, I'm just actively bored. None of the decisions made by the major players make any sense to me. 

The fly episode is one of the best bottle episodes I've ever watched. It's equal parts ridiculous and hilarious with some tension to his relationship with Jessie around whether he spills the beans on Jane. Not all shows hit everyone the same way.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The fly episode is one of the best bottle episodes I've ever watched. It's equal parts ridiculous and hilarious with some tension to his relationship with Jessie around whether he spills the beans on Jane. Not all shows hit everyone the same way.

Have to say it bored me to tears. I know it gets raved about but it was crushingly dull. In a show where you tend to sit on the edge of your seat waiting to find out what happens, it was seriously misjudged.

i had to turn it off.

BB always had a slight element of surrealism, many, many things that happened in the show would be extremely unlikely to happen in real life.  It's like that scene where they are substituting the fake Heisenberg at the drop and Walt and Jesse are able to get their message to Badger by driving in front of the DEA guys.  You just have to go with it. 

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Ditto. It's a fine character study that uses a ridiculous situation to heighten the tension.

I thought the Fly episode was horrible. I get what they wanted to do but it didn't work for me at all. Might have something to do with hating the sound of a buzzing fly, tho

Man, I remember almost having a physical reaction to that damned buzzing; I assume it was intentional. That was an extremely uncomfortable episode for me to watch, and not really in a good way, despite being pretty intense apart from that draconian aural torture.

So my friend wants to watch Godzilla vs. Kong this weekend. I haven't seen Godzilla 2 yet (and will at some point) but should I watch it beforehand for any reason? I can't imagine needing to do that for a big monster fight movie but thought I'd ask.

25 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

So my friend wants to watch Godzilla vs. Kong this weekend. I haven't seen Godzilla 2 yet (and will at some point) but should I watch it beforehand for any reason? I can't imagine needing to do that for a big monster fight movie but thought I'd ask.

It does bring back some characters and at least one plot point from Godzilla 2. I don't think it'll matter much though.

Yeah The Fly is easily the greatest bottle episode I've ever seen.  It also gets bonus points because Walt's obsession there totally seems like an exaggerated version of something my dad would do - as an obsessive scientist who's worked in a lab for 40 years.

I don't know that I loved "Fly" really, but rewatched recently. I originally binged seasons 1-4 on Netflix, as I wasn't caught up to the show until season 5. It's slow and deliberate and effective - when I originally watched it I constantly felt Walt was on the verge of confessing about what really happened with Jane. Some of that tension is lost on rewatch, but it's still interesting. And given how frenetic a lot of TV has become, it still feels fresh. 

Breaking Bad remains one of my favourite shows, and I really like Better Call Saul

17 hours ago, Mexal said:

I'm ashamed to admit I don't remember this episode. Like, at all. And I most certainly watched it, as I watched them all. I wonder if that means I liked it like most of the others or just the contrary.

22 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Dead to Me Season 2. What am I watching and why am I subjecting myself to this? Its been over a year since I watched the first season but I remember liking it. This is...not good.

We dragged ourselves through the first half of season 2 and then just quit. It was dreadful. 

The new Mortal Kombat is full of cheezy lines and good fight scenes, far better than the 90s movies, and I mean the choreography alone is better. The plot didn't go in the direction I expected, as it attempted to rise above the silliness of the premise. Because ultimately what works for a fighting video game simply cannot work for a cohesive movie. There were times when they tried too much to insert classic stuff from the games. 

It did have some truly satisfying moments and Kano provided entertainment outside of the fight scenes. The new character that I guess is or will be a part of the new game is a bit bland.

I'm sad to say that it suffers in the music department, where there is too much generic orchestral music, and not enough high octane techno music. A modernized version of the classic Immortals Mortal Kombat song makes its way into the movie, and in the end credits, but it's beneath its predecessor. 

Spoiler

When Scorpion shows up and the music does start pumping a bit is the most satisfying moment of the show. 

That gory fatality Kung Lao delivers was another one, as was Kano's fatality of the reptilian dude.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm sad to say that it suffers in the music department, where there is too much generic orchestral music, and not enough high octane techno music. A modernized version of the classic Immortals Mortal Kombat song makes its way into the movie, and in the end credits, but it's beneath its predecessor. 

Just finished it, and while I agree the music isn't the same, could it really ever live up to the original which is still used in workout videos today 25 years later?

Overall I really enjoyed the film. If you go into it knowing there isn't really any great way to make a fighting video game a great movie, you'll like it. They actually did some real character development, albeit rushed at times, but they did the main characters justice.

I'm also extremely biased because:

Spoiler

Scorpion was always my favorite original character and I couldn't have asked for more.

I think it will be pretty easy for them to make a few sequels from this film. When I first heard about it I was extremely worried, but they did a good job overall and I'd be happy to pay to see the next one in a theater once we're past the pandemic.

Archived