Watch, Watched, Watching: The Shield lands on top

Veltigar

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I watched Nobody,

If you're thinking about watching this movie, don't.  Just watch John Wick.  It's literally the exact same movie but better.

They are basically identical in a lot of ways. Not sure Nobody is better though, it has a lot going for it, and I really liked the first act. But the last act is also pretty nonsensical, probably too over the top and didn’t really connect. I’d give it to John Wick if I had to choose

Watched

Hotel Artimis: Interesting concept, good performances, meh movie. It might have worked better as a miniseries.

The Hunt: for all the controversy surrounding this film, its more satire than exploitation I think. I liked this film more than I should have; which is to say I liked it a lot. Ending could have been better.

I kinda sorta accidentally kept watching Bridgerton. It's a bit like an old timey version of a Jilly Cooper novel (sex, humour, romance, scandal, drama, tragedy), but with fewer dogs and horses. 

Just finished a new Netflix movie called Stowaway, and I really wish I hadn't.

Pros.  Great acting jobs by all four actors, especially Anna Kendrick.  Excellent cinematography and set design.

Cons.  Super slow pacing.  No explanation of how the stowaway got on the spaceship or how he survived the launch into space.  The existential dred was the only plot focus; there was no comedic relief to help undercut that heavy theme.

4 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Just finished a new Netflix movie called Stowaway, and I really wish I hadn't.

Reading "The Cold Equations" instead would have saved you some time, it seems!

7 hours ago, briantw said:

I watched Nobody,

If you're thinking about watching this movie, don't.  Just watch John Wick.  It's literally the exact same movie but better.

John Wick as a soccer dad was my take.

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

They are basically identical in a lot of ways. Not sure Nobody is better though, it has a lot going for it, and I really liked the first act. But the last act is also pretty nonsensical, probably too over the top and didn’t really connect. I’d give it to John Wick if I had to choose

Nobody is absolutely not better than John Wick.  It felt like they were trying to make a John Wick parody but forgot to put in the jokes.  Like, this dude goes on a rampage because he thinks some thieves stole his daughter's kitty cat bracelet when they robbed him, which is an absurd, comedic premise, but the rest of the movie is aggressively unfunny.  

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just finished it, and while I agree the music isn't the same, could it really ever live up to the original which is still used in workout videos today 25 years later?

Overall I really enjoyed the film. If you go into it knowing there isn't really any great way to make a fighting video game a great movie, you'll like it. They actually did some real character development, albeit rushed at times, but they did the main characters justice.

I'm also extremely biased because:

Reveal hidden contents

Scorpion was always my favorite original character and I couldn't have asked for more.

I think it will be pretty easy for them to make a few sequels from this film. When I first heard about it I was extremely worried, but they did a good job overall and I'd be happy to pay to see the next one in a theater once we're past the pandemic.

It was entertaining though the story is an absolute mess. The only character that truly got any kind of characterization was Scorpion and maybe Kano? Everyone else you basically get one line of backstory and then fill in the blanks yourself. They didn't even try to explain the multiple realms or what was happening with the tournament or what the prophecy really is or who the clans of Scorpion/Sub-zero are or why they hate each other.

Ignore all of that and Mortal Kombat is good fun :)

I watched Palm Springs on Amazon Prime which I thought was very enjoyable. While there are parts of it that are definitely a bit reminiscent of Groundhog Day (and while it's never mentioned by name the characters do at least seem to be familiar with the time loop trope) it did go in some different directions and having more than person experiencing the time loop did add something to it. The two main characters were likeable despite their flaws and you can never go wrong with casting J.K.Simmons in a film.

I also watched Wild Target on Netflix (the British version, apparently it's a remake of a French film), which I thought was less successful. It did have some amusing moments but it felt quite lazily written at times. Emily Blunt and Bill Nighy did do their best to make it work, while Rupert Grint seemed to still think he was playing Ron Weasley.

9 hours ago, Mexal said:

It was entertaining though the story is an absolute mess. The only character that truly got any kind of characterization was Scorpion and maybe Kano? Everyone else you basically get one line of backstory and then fill in the blanks yourself. They didn't even try to explain the multiple realms or what was happening with the tournament or what the prophecy really is or who the clans of Scorpion/Sub-zero are or why they hate each other.

Ignore all of that and Mortal Kombat is good fun :)

I'd argue Scorpion and Subzero got fully fleshed out, and it was their movie. They did enough with everyone else, with some exceptions, to give you enough backstory if you loosely knew the game the movie was based off of. And they did explain that it was a preemptive attack before the tournament. 

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

HBO Max has a shit ton of Adult Swim things.

I suppose they have a deal with Cartoon Network. 

Cartoon Network is a subsidiary of Time Warner, and HBO Max is really Time Warner Media. 

Still loving Invincible

Bob's Burgers has gone a bit downhill a bit but I'm still enjoying it. They should really use more voice actors though. Edit: I tested the German dub in my SO went NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :D 

Solar Opposites has so many bad puns... I loled a few times. Something for the "I only enjoy this because I was born in the 80s but forgot to grow up" pile I think. 

Bobs Burgers is pretty much always enjoyable but I noticed a dip in quality from about the 3/4th season. I noticed that Gene became especially annoying, like he had to make a silly comment every single time and they because more strained. 

Anyway I watched Love and Monsters and I really enjoyed it. It’s actually a genuinely good movie, with a likeable lead, a fun premise and it has a couple of quite touching moments. It was far better than I expected, given it was seemingly  a YA kinda sci fi thing on Netflix which is usually a red flag for me

Archived