Watch, Watched, Watching: The Shield lands on top

Veltigar

We finished Informer on Amazon Prime.  It’s very good if you’re in the mood for some tension and suspense.  Raza and Dadir and Holly are all great characters.  Gabe is good too but the Gabe/Charlie subplot could have been ditched.

I’ve also been watching Quark Science by myself on Amazon Prime.  Despite having watched many other popular science programs (like PBS Nova and its ilk), I’m still finding this presentation of ideas to feel fresh and interesting.

My son has been watching Jim Gaffigan specials on Netflix.  I’m gradually feeding him more and more comedy.  A year ago he was writhing in hilarity at Bottom and Father Ted, and chuckling at BlackAdder.  Although Red Dwarf hasn’t grabbed him yet.  He liked BBT and Friends too, so I needed to add some more absurd or quirky material.

He’s a bit young for Dave Chapelle or Jim Jeffries yet, but there are plenty of points along the spectrum to progress in an age-appropriate way.

Things Heard and Seen.   I liked it, but I'm easily entertained by ghost stories.  Amanda S. was excellent as usual, and the guy playing her dude bro frat boy smarmy charmer husband who keeps failing up until he doesn't was entertaining.  However, it wasn't scary at all, not even creepy and some of the philosophy bits were very awkwardly presented.  Also, a totally by the numbers ghost story, there was nothing there not seen before100 times.   Lastly, a plus no animal deaths, which is refreshing given the recent trend in horror.  That's all I got.

56 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Been watching The Expanse. It’s okay. The actor for Holden is extremely wooden so far but I’m growing to the rest of the crew. And Tom Jane as Miller was pretty perfect casting 

Curious. Have you read the books?

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just saw Nic Cage has been tapped to play Joe Exotic in an eight episode miniseries about his life.

Give it all the awards already! 

I can picture it now.  The aftermath of a horrific tiger attack.

"Joe, what happened?!?"

"The tiger took his face...off."

51 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

The first 3 then stopped for some reason. Watching the show has made me want to pick them back up

I warmed more to the story and the characters as both the show and the books progressed. I vaguely recall thinking Holden's character was wooden at the beginning as well but grew to like him over time as he gets some more badass moments (and probably as the actor settled into the role more).

I finally watched tenet and I have questions:

1) Wait, what? 

2) If batman was from the future the whole time how did he breathe air? I have confidence that the movie make some degree of sense, but like....how was anyone secretly from the future when they weren't moving backwards with respirators? 

3) I'm sure calling the protagonist of your movie "the protagonist" is really clever on paper. It's super lame on screen. 

4) The movie is oddly inefficient! The first part is spent setting up a that the protagonist who, and I can't stress this enough. Is called "the protagonist" is loyal*. Or at least reluctant to suicide. They have his teeth pulled out as but it's fine they rebuilt his mouth. 

*to who? for what? the plot. 

For the the "The Protagonist" bullshit. I mean what if this was just a batman movie. Batman and the Inverted Murders. 

Not really sure why but I watched Ocean's 8 yesterday. It works fine. Nothing amazing. Just fine. But I just find Sandra Bullock's nose so distracting though.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

2) If batman was from the future the whole time how did he breathe air? I have confidence that the movie make some degree of sense, but like....how was anyone secretly from the future when they weren't moving backwards with respirators?

They need respirators while they're moving backwards, but once they're as far back in the past as they want to be, they can turn around and start moving forwards again, respirator-free. Assuming they have access to a temporal direction swapping machine.

Started watching Mare of Easttown. Two episodes in and I'm sold. A bit too many characters and it's not easy to figure out relations between them so far, but I guess that's kinda one of the points of the series and it will get easier later on.

I finished the first season of Justified and just started episode 1 of season 2. I am certain I have seen all of the first season and I am now wondering whether I got even further than that. Don't understand why I quit then, because so far I'm really enjoying it.

I love westerns and this is a damn good one. I didn't even mind Raylan shooting someone in every episode :lol: I think what really sells it is the excellent cast. It's the first American show I can think of that reminds me of some of those British shows where every episode even most of the one-bit guest stars are played by recognizable actors you know and love from other things.

I hope it keeps on going like this. 

5 hours ago, Isis said:

Not really sure why but I watched Ocean's 8 yesterday. It works fine. Nothing amazing. Just fine.

Yep.  It's as terrible as all the other Oceans movies.  I just don't like the whole genre of heist that goes exactly to plan.  When he remade it as Logan Lucky that seemed better... but was it? 

5 hours ago, felice said:

They need respirators while they're moving backwards, but once they're as far back in the past as they want to be, they can turn around and start moving forwards again, respirator-free. Assuming they have access to a temporal direction swapping machine.

We don't actually know if Neil is from the future, but either him or the Protagonist himself if Neil is from the past must have had some incredible supply of reversed oxygen to travel for years into the past.

11 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yep.  It's as terrible as all the other Oceans movies.  I just don't like the whole genre of heist that goes exactly to plan.  When he remade it as Logan Lucky that seemed better... but was it? 

I like the first one, but the whole genre has been ruined by Rick and Morty now anyway 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I finished the first season of Justified and just started episode 1 of season 2. 

Whoa, you're fast. Didn't you just finished BB few days ago? Justified has its ups and downs, but season one is definitely not the best, apart from a very tense finale.

Watched Aguirre, The Wrath of God since Fitzcarraldo put me in the mood, and again I'll refer to Veltigar's post from December about that one. Very good film, less meandering than the later film, with this wonderful symbol of a raft of men aimlessly sailing down the Amazon, their expedition progressively falling apart due to the madness of Aguirre and his desire for fame and power. The real life Lope de Aguirre is generally agreed by historians to have been a homidical maniac, and Kinski captures it -- though he and Herzog had wild arguments over just how "loud" to play him. Herzog mostly won, and I think all for the better. The quiet madness was very engaging.

Archived