UK Politics - Taking the Land Rover to Heaven

Fragile Bird

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/19/morrissey-the-simpsons-parody-panic-on-the-streets-of-springfield

Amid a long statement posted to his website, Morrissey writes: “The hatred shown towards me from the creators of the Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge.”

I have found that conservatives who rant about PC and cancel culture and are in general free speech warriors tend to the most snowflake-y when it comes to actual consequences of such free speech.

19 minutes ago, mormont said:

Morrissey has been a snowflake his entire career, it's sort of his whole thing.

Snowflake-type behaviour does seem awfully prevalent amongst this particular sub-species of human. 

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Snowflake-type behaviour does seem awfully prevalent amongst this particular sub-species of human. 

Out of curiosity. Were The Smiths sorta your thing, or were they a bit late to your party, so to speak.

22 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Out of curiosity. Were The Smiths sorta your thing, or were they a bit late to your party, so to speak.

Definitely not at the time. In the eighties I was a proper soul boy and not at all into guitar music. However, my entire musical outlook was utterly transformed by Kurt Cobain, and by the mid-nineties I was lead singer in a rock band. And we fucking rocked

I love The Smiths, they were amazing. And now, through my tour manager mate, I find myself on first name terms with Johnny Marr, undisputedly one of the finest guitarists of all time. 

More dodgy Tory dealings. Tax breaks for Dyson to make ventilators we never actually got.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56819137

Oh and the ‘fancy’ US-style press briefing room that cost over £2 mill? Being scrapped.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-20/downing-streets-televised-white-house-style-press-briefings-are-being-scrapped

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

More dodgy Tory dealings. Tax breaks for Dyson to make ventilators we never actually got.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56819137

Oh and the ‘fancy’ US-style press briefing room that cost over £2 mill? Being scrapped.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-20/downing-streets-televised-white-house-style-press-briefings-are-being-scrapped

The Dyson ventilators didn't work well enough IIRC.

The 11,552 made by the company I work for (as part of the UK ventilator challenge) did not require bringing immigrants into the UK to build them for us.  so we didn't need that tax rule fixed.    we did however get the government to pay for all the wages of everyone including me while on the ventilator  project instead of topping up our wages and keeping us all furloughed.  (our contract says we get full basic pay if required by the company not to work).  We did also have lots of agency staff on I think low wages making them.  at least one of whom was a millionaire and doesn't normally work but wanted to be involved.  Ya should have seen some of the very expensive cars in the car park. 

The people we had signing up to make ventilates proves that Dyson also would not have needed to bring anyone in, there was lots of highly skilled people here wanting to get involved and willing to do so for a very low wage  (most had been furloughed by their normal employers.

Seems like a bad decision for Starmer to after Boris so heavily on the Dyson thing. Pretty easy to look at it that Boris is moving heaven and earth to get ventilators for the country at a time of crisis. That’s how Boris is pushing it and I’m sure it will have zero negative impact on voters opinions on him. 

Starmer just totally ineffective again.

I'd say it plays well into the ongoing narrative of cronyism.

Even at the time, Dyson's offer wasn't particularly seen as a critical part of the ventilator effort - it was greeted with a high degree of scepticism that was completely validated by the outcome. It looked like, and largely was, an egotist butting in to make it about him, similar to Elon Musk and his famous submarine. Now we find out he's texting the PM personally and getting chummy texts back - not contacting the government formally to deal with what may have been a genuine concern, but behaving as if he's entitled to take short cuts direct to the top because of who he is, and finding that the Prime Minister and the Chancellor appear to agree with him.

It all reinforces the narrative that this government is all about personal connections and backdoor deals. That doesn't go away just because this happens to be about ventilators, any more than it did with PPE. It makes total sense for Starmer to pursue this, because it plays into a successful line of attack.

Talking about London Mayoral comedy candidates.

What happened to that other dude. You know that mockunmentary film maker, preying the streets of London, filming the wildlife like black people. I think his name was Rory?

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Talking about London Mayoral comedy candidates.

What happened to that other dude. You know that mockunmentary film maker, preying the streets of London, filming the wildlife like black people. I think his name was Rory?

I think he quit when the election got postponed last year

Anyone see that the story that the government fed to friendly newspapers last night? Apparently they "suspect" that Dominic Cummings was the whistleblower who leaked the texts Johnson has been exchanging with various business acquaintances (about getting Rishi to fix things and so forth). Surreal.

I am still trying to work out what they thought that spin would achieve. Possibly just trying to shift attention from the messages to whoever the leaker was? But I guess it means that Cummings  is definitely still out.

55 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Anyone see that the story that the government fed to friendly newspapers last night? Apparently they "suspect" that Dominic Cummings was the whistleblower who leaked the texts Johnson has been exchanging with various business acquaintances (about getting Rishi to fix things and so forth). Surreal.

I am still trying to work out what they thought that spin would achieve. Possibly just trying to shift attention from the messages to whoever the leaker was? But I guess it means that Cummings  is definitely still out.

Definitely out; Cunmings is denying being the leak, and he’s questioning Johnson’s competence 

On 4/22/2021 at 1:53 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Count Binface, London Mayoral candidate, had published his manifesto:

I really hope he beats Laurence Fox

I'm definitely voting Binface, for precisely that reason. Sadiq doesn't need my vote, so Binface it's all the way! 

Archived