UK Politics - Taking the Land Rover to Heaven

Fragile Bird

53 minutes ago, john said:

It’s not as simple as they just decided to ignore the judge. The judge advised them that one of the protesters had a defence in law because he claimed to genuinely believe that the shareholders and staff would have consented to the vandalism. So they were in the absurd situation of being able to acquit one guy and having to convict the others. Naturally they decided to acquit them all.

I had to go back and read that bit again actually. How did the defence establish that one of the protestors genuinely believed there would be consent to the vandalism? I'm just curious from a legal perspective what evidence they put forward for that because it sounds unlikely in the face of it.

Otherwise I agree with mormont and the others regarding the verdict

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I had to go back and read that bit again actually. How did the defence establish that one of the protestors genuinely believed there would be consent to the vandalism? I'm just curious from a legal perspective what evidence they put forward for that because it sounds unlikely in the face of it.

They defended themselves. I dunno if the guy intended it as a defence or if the judge just picked up on something he said.

21 hours ago, Raja said:

It has been such a bleak year and we still have to stomach this clown for the next three years, if not longer

Three years but only just: by current law the next general election must be held on 2 May 2024. If/when the Fixed-Term Parliament Act is repealed, the government could push it to December 2024 (within five years of the previous election), but probably won't.

36 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Three years but only just: by current law the next general election must be held on 2 May 2024. If/when the Fixed-Term Parliament Act is repealed, the government could push it to December 2024 (within five years of the previous election), but probably won't.

It’s a when, not an if. Repealing it is a Tory manifesto promise and they’ve already published the draft bill. But you’re right that it probably won’t go to December as no one in politics likes campaigning in the winter

17 hours ago, Spockydog said:

State of these nutters.

Definitely a lot of very crazy people there. 

I am slightly bothered though that this got very little coverage in the media. From what I’ve seen there appear to be quite a lot of people demonstrating in this March. I’m sure a lot of crazy Covid deniers, but others appear to be against vaccine passports or want to open up quicker.

By basically blanking out the existence in the news, surely that is just feeding the paranoia that is fuelling these marches?

7 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Why do the Tories want to repeal the Fixed-Term Parliament Act?

Because they think the PM should be able to call an election whenever he wants and not be arbitrarily restricted 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m sure a lot of crazy Covid deniers, but others appear to be against vaccine passports or want to open up quicker.

These cretins need to go away and stfu. So if the media basically ignores them, that's perfectly fine by me.

10 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Why do the Tories want to repeal the Fixed-Term Parliament Act?

What Malt said. They had issues in 2017 and 2019 in calling an early election and having to get Parliament to vote on it and it was all a lot of bother.

The other thing is that the FTPA was brought in with the coalition after the financial crisis of 2008 to give greater confidence to business and the country as a whole that there wouldn't be an election for five years, guaranteed, rather than the usual four-five year ambivalence: in the UK we need to have an election every five years by law, but by tradition the government will call an election every four years if they think they will win, which is why our election spread is a bit uneven: 1979, 1983*, 1987, 1992, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015. 

Because that circumstance has passed, a return to the previous situation seems reasonable. There have been suggestions that we should switch to four-year elections like the US rather than five-year ones anyway, but none of the parties seem to have much appetite for it.

* The Tories' popularity in 1982 was very low so the expectation was that they'd wait until 1984 and might lose, but Thatcher rode the Falklands War bandwagon hard and got such a boost in the polls she moved for an election ASAP after its conclusion.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Who is this “expletive deleted”?

This is one of the cretins in Oxford Street yesterday. The same cretins who have taken to wearing a yellow Star of David because not being able to go to the pub or get a haircut is an abuse similar to Hitler's treatment of the Jews during the Holocaust. 

51 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

‘No more fucking lockdowns – let the bodies pile high in their thousands!’

Please let this week be the end of him.

No chance, nobody will confirm he said it and nobody would give a shit anyway. The press and the public let him skate no matter how incoherent or corrupt he is. 

Edit, autocorrect changed incompetent to incoherent, but it works either way. 

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

No chance, nobody will confirm he said it and nobody would give a shit anyway. The press and the public let him skate no matter how incoherent or corrupt he is. 

Edit, autocorrect changed incompetent to incoherent, but it works either way. 

Maybe not on its own, but this week Johnson has to tell the world where he found the reported £200k it cost to refurbish his flat. This is not a rich man, and he has already been whinging that he cannot live on £150k per year.

He wanted to get Tory donors to pay for his flat, but when told that would be illegal he somehow found the cash. Where did he get it?

There are leadership challengers reportedly waiting in the wings.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Maybe not on its own, but this week Johnson has to tell the world where he found the reported £200k it cost to refurbish his flat. This is not a rich man, and he has already been whinging that he cannot live on £150k per year.

He wanted to get Tory donors to pay for his flat, but when told that would be illegal he somehow found the cash. Where did he get it?

There are leadership challengers reportedly waiting in the wings.

Has Rupert Murdoch chosen the next British Prime Minister yet? Gove is his preference I assume?

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

‘No more fucking lockdowns – let the bodies pile high in their thousands!’

Please let this week be the end of him.

It seems the context of that conversation  was that Boris was raging that he would rather let ‘bodies pile high’ than have to have one more lockdown, and this was said at the moment he signed the second lockdown. What he said in a fit of rage doesn’t really tie into his actions so I think this really is non news.

Given that also there appear to be a large group of people who think Boris has been too strict with lockdown as well as those who think he hasn’t been strict enough, I can’t see this really damaging him.

The refurb stuff might cut through a bit more if it can be proved Boris has actually used others money to pay for it. Have to see

Archived