UK Politics - Taking the Land Rover to Heaven

Fragile Bird

Yes. I ended up ‘selling’ my Lewis DVDs on Ziffit. Can’t rewatch now, would spend the whole time rooting for the killer to take out Halfaway.

Irony is, with Endeavour finishing this year,  Fox could have possibly secured a decade’s worth of work by being lead in a Halfaway spin-off. If only he’d kept his mouth shut.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9525729/Thousands-EU-bar-caf-workers-reject-old-UK-jobs.html

Classic Daily Mail.
Remember those foreigners we told to "fuck off out of our country" - well, some of them have had the nerve to go and do that - the ungrateful bastards - they've deserted us, merely for better conditions, better pay, and a feeling of being welcome.

It shows that we were right to tell them all to fuck off; and now the government should provide support for those businesses who've lost their employees and demand that their foreigners return to work for them (whilst still fucking off out of the country).

Yeah, I wasn’t really getting this story. France threaten to flick a switch and cut power to Jersey so Britain ... sends a gunboat. Or are they planning to blast the French fisherboats?

16 minutes ago, john said:

Yeah, I wasn’t really getting this story. France threaten to flick a switch and cut power to Jersey so Britain ... sends a gunboat. Or are they planning to blast the French fisherboats?

Of course they're not going to fire on civilian vessels. I mean, that would be utterly moronic, so, obviously, never going to happen. The people running things now would never dream of doing anything so stupid. Oh no. Definitely not. Nope. Not a chance.

*Admiral Rees-Mogg, two hours later* BREXIT MEANS BREXIT YOU SNAIL MUNCHING GARLIC STINKING FRENCHIES! TAKE THAT! 

*KABOOM*

Two gunboats, so we can rule twice as many waves as we could with one.

I expect they’re there to discourage the protest from getting too boisterous, because that’s all we can do. I don’t know the full story, but it sounds like the Jersey government’s been moving the goal posts, perhaps without considering what France might do in response.

Just voted here. Ended up splitting my votes between three different parties - Liberal (for the constituency vote, where more left-leaning parties don't have a hope), Labour (for the top-up candidate), and Plaid (for the police commissioner). 

Am expecting the masochistic English (of which I am one) to continue to be charmed by Boris's blatant corruption, egotism and incompetence. Such a character! 

No idea what'll happen on this side of the border. 

Didn’t even consider voting in the London elections to be honest. I think it’s probably a Khan landslide and it’s very difficult to imagine a worse set of candidates to challenge him this year. Feels like the tories have basically given up on London.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Didn’t even consider voting in the London elections to be honest. I think it’s probably a Khan landslide and it’s very difficult to imagine a worse set of candidates to challenge him this year. Feels like the tories have basically given up on London.

Johnson will likely try to abolish the mayor same as Thatcher did with the GLC, because the wrong party keeps winning

Apparently; with this little contretemps in the Channel Islands - the French have been acting (well, talking about acting) in the precise manner in which the international treaty we signed with them said was how they'd react if we reneged on the treaty we're trying to renege on.
And yet our sending the military in to deal with their civilians, is our reaction to their "almost a declaration of war"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-gas-electricity-supply-uk-fish-stocks-b1780376.html

If only parliament had been allowed to read the treaty before endorsing it, maybe we'd have noticed this little aspect of "the easiest deal in history"

ETA: Although, apparently, the Independent did notice in time, as that article is dated 30th December; but seems remarkably prescient now

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

Surely the point of Johnson sending the gunboats was to get some good last minute PR to encourage his voters to go out and vote for him? A sort of farcical repeat of Thatcher's Falklands War bounce.

A hundred years from now, people will mention Boris Johnson in the same breath as Marlborough, Wellington, and Nelson.

Archived