Sword of Shadows: Some Questions

Garlan the Gallant

I am in the midst of re-reading Sword of Shadows by JV Jones. 

Is there a guide or does someone know off-hand the ages of the following characters: 1) Effie (8?) 2) Raif (18?), 3) Drey(20?) 4) Raina, 5) Ash (13?) 6) Angus, 7) Vaylo, 8) Mace, and 9) Bram? 

Not sure if this is made clear, but is a year in the books roughly equivalent to a year on Earth? Not sure if the weather patterns mean the planet is further away from its star.

Lastly, it’s a little hard to tell during my re-read but does anyone know the span of time the books take place over so far?

Edited by Garlan the Gallant

13 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

I am in the midst of re-reading Sword of Shadows by JV Jones. 

Is there a guide or does someone know off-hand the ages of the following characters: 1) Effie (8?) 2) Raif (18?), 3) Drey(20?) 4) Raina, 5) Ash (13?) 6) Angus, 7) Vaylo, 8) Mace, and 9) Bram? 

Not sure if this is made clear, but is a year in the books roughly equivalent to a year on Earth? Not sure if the weather patterns mean the planet is further away from its star.

Lastly, it’s a little hard to tell during my re-read but does anyone know the span of time the books take place over so far?

I believe that the length of years is the same as on our world (that's backed up by the Book of Words predecessor trilogy as well).

The books so far take place over a period of about a year, IIRC.

With Book 5 nearly done, a reread might be a great idea.

15 hours ago, Deedles said:

Is Book 5 nearly done? Would be wonderful if so

Yup. Apparently it would have been done at the end of last year or the start of this without the pandemic and attendant problems, but it got pushed back a bit. I think she was sitting around the two-thirds-done point late last year.

I know JV has also recovered the rights to the Book of Words trilogy - which leads into Sword of Shadows but is not strictly necessary to enjoy it - and wants to re-release them as ebooks and audiobooks. If Tor picked them up, that could take the sting out of waiting eleven years for Endlords (though I suspect they'll also want to see the progress on the final book as well, which JV is planning to roll straight into) and allow for a unified marketing and cover design strategy.

Edited by Werthead

On 4/15/2021 at 4:56 AM, Werthead said:

Yup. Apparently it would have been done at the end of last year or the start of this without the pandemic and attendant problems, but it got pushed back a bit. I think she was sitting around the two-thirds-done point late last year.

I know JV has also recovered the rights to the Book of Words trilogy - which leads into Sword of Shadows but is not strictly necessary to enjoy it - and wants to re-release them as ebooks and audiobooks. If Tor picked them up, that could take the sting out of waiting eleven years for Endlords (though I suspect they'll also want to see the progress on the final book as well, which JV is planning to roll straight into) and allow for a unified marketing and cover design strategy.

I seemingly remember you calling the increase in quality between the Book of Words series and Sword of Shadows possibly the greatest increase in writing quality between series, or something like that.

11 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

I seemingly remember you calling the increase in quality between the Book of Words series and Sword of Shadows possibly the greatest increase in writing quality between series, or something like that.

Yeah, I'd stand by that. Book of Words was solid and got better as it went along, but Sword of Shadows is probably on a par with ASoIaF. There was a huge step-up between the two series.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, I'd stand by that. Book of Words was solid and got better as it went along, but Sword of Shadows is probably on a par with ASoIaF. There was a huge step-up between the two series.

Yes. Sword of Shadows is a mix of GRRM’s North/Beyond the Wall, and a fantasy Scotland, with a lot of Scottish place nanes (Castlemilk etc).

The scene in the first book in the ‘inn’ where Raif fights the Bludd clansmen is excellent.

3 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

I want to go back to this series and get first edition hardcovers. There seems to be a lot of different editions/publishers for the first book. 

What publisher is the true first edition?

For Book of Words, Warner Books in the USA and Orbit in the UK. Warners published all three books as trade and then mass-market paperbacks. Orbit published Books 1 and 2 as mass-market paperback originals and then switched to hardcover for Book 3.

For Sword of Shadows, Warner Books published Book 1 in hardcover in the USA, then Tor bought the paperback rights for Book 1, then published Books 2-4 in hardcover. Orbit published all four books in hardcover (with a change in cover design between Books 1 and 2). Warners had the first edition for Book 1 and Tor for Books 3-4, but Orbit had the first edition of Book 2 (Warner Books shut down around the time Book 2 was supposed to come out and there were problems in transferring the deal to Tor, during which time Orbit just pressed on and got the book out).

Jones's ISFDB page may be helpful.

• 8 months later...

Jones has posted a large amount of preview chapters of Endlords on her Patreon over the years. I think there are four Raif chapters, two Effie chapters, one Baralis chapter, one Angus Lok chapter, one Vaylo chapter, and one other chapter. Do we have any idea what percentage the posted chapters make of the final book? I guess my question, truly, is roughly how long will Endlords be?

I dont think anyone has any answer to that and we will see once the book is listed on Amazon. Which is not the case yet but it can still come out in the second half of the year at this point.

Interesting that she released that many chapters already, didnt know that.

6 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I dont think anyone has any answer to that and we will see once the book is listed on Amazon. Which is not the case yet but it can still come out in the second half of the year at this point.

Interesting that she released that many chapters already, didnt know that.

The chapters she has released are truly great.

Jah, this might be sacrilege on this board, but Endlords is my most eagerly awaited book ... 

Talking about scene in first book ,the one where Raif rescues Ash with just 6 arrows is amazing. 

I am happy that JV seems to be back on track and an end is in sight..

As for the difference in quality between Words and Sword, it's as if there is a different Author..

Edited by shortstark

Wow, (vaguely) remember reading Book of Words trilogy way back when, and the first (and maybe the second) of the Sword of Shadows trilogy. Might have to do a reread if she is publishing again.