Falcon and The Winter Soldier: These Turkish Delights Have Violent Ends (Spoilers)

Corvinus85

Thumbs up on the thread title...

Supposedly a "big cameo" in episode five...but after the last one in WandaVision, the whole tease is so tempered, with no one actually speculating...there might actually be one...?

Fun fact: I thought Turkish Delight was disgusting but it turns out the stuff you buy here in the UK is specifically rose flavoured, when Turkish Delight can be any flavour. Why they only export the worst flavour I have no idea.

Great thread title.

11 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

23 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Fun fact: I thought Turkish Delight was disgusting but it turns out the stuff you buy here in the UK is specifically rose flavoured, when Turkish Delight can be any flavour. Why they only export the worst flavour I have no idea.

Great thread title.

I used to shop at a Turkish grocery store because they sold the best fruits and vegetables and had like a million different kinds of legumes and they had some really tasty versions and many were vegan.

24 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Great thread title.

With Britain's history of colonialism... you wonder why they'd send the worst flavor back to England? :P

29 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

you buy here in the UK is specifically rose flavoured, when Turkish Delight can be any flavour. Why they only export the worst flavour I have no idea.

Most of the stuff you get in England is pretty rubbish anyway even if one likes rose. There's some places in London you can get good stuff, when I was little my dad used to bring home glorious boxes of nearly-dripping gooey stuff from some confectioner somewhere, it was awesome.

Presumably nowadays it's a little easier to find at random turkish shops.

The first reference I thought of when watching the ep for Turkish delights was Afternoon Delight.  The Shakespeare/Westworld quote probably works better.

Also, I don't think I've ever had a Turkish delight.

See, I hear Turkish Delight and I can never think of anything other than The Lion, The Witxh, And the Wardrobe...not sure how to make a thread title for TFATWS, which is why it's good I'm not making thread titles for this...

If Zemo does join the Thunderbolts how does he justify working with superpowered people without it being obvious he's there to plot their deaths?  Ross would be unbelievably gullible to recruit him.

I think @red snow has the right idea:

That would be a fun inversion of the thunderbolts concept. Maybe have the team police super powered individuals (good and bad)

Since Ross seems to have a dim view of powered people as well. I'm not super familiar with the team, but I'd figure Yelena has no powers. The Leader may have just been made super smart but frail which might not be an issue for Zemo. Abomination would be an issue though. I'm not really sure who else is left alive? Whatever happened to Whiplash? Hammer could be iron man-lite I guess. 

Red Skull, Loki are alive sort of but not on earth. Yonn-Rogg is also possibly alive but not on earth.  Salvaged bit of Ultron could maybe work? Bucky could work I guess but who thinks of him as a villain anymore. There's Ghost from Ant-Man. I have to assume the spider-man villain's are off limits. Taskmasker is a possibility. 

Speaking of weird team ups this poster is pretty great. I'm not sure if it's just for marketing or if there will be a What if? team up episode. I know that's Star Lord T'challa so I assume Killmonger is Black Panther. I'm not sure what's going on with Thor is that like Loki Thor? 

There was a version of the Thunderbolts that existed for exactly that, to police superhumans after Civil War. Warren Ellis's run, it was pretty fantastic. You couldn't adapt it directly and you'd have to change most of the team (it was more of a Suicide Squad sort of setup where most of them were known villains - Bullseye, Venom, Baron Von Strucker among them, led by Norman Osborne) but you could repurpose the basic idea.

It would be interesting to see how zemo feels about iron man style powers where the individual doesn't have powers but their equipment does. From what I've seen I think it's super powers he's most concerned about in the sense it corrupts. It was cool how he didn't hesitate in destroying those vials suggesting he doesn't even trust himself with super powers

Given his interaction with Falcon it seems he's more comfortable with tech powers - maybe because others could technically use. Actually, thinking about it zemo could fit in with the war machine/armour wars TV show. Either as someone wanting to stop the tech or as the villain trying to allow the tech in everyone's hands so as to level the playing field.

I didn't catch it at first, but in a secondary viewing Sam said that Zemo's escape through the sewer was like El Chapo. So I guess El Chapo exists in this world, or at least he did. Maybe Ronin got to him in the 5 year period. Is this the first example of a modern day criminal mentioned in the MCU?

22 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've seen a lot of westerners proclaim Turkish delights to be gross, though they are pretty popular in Eastern Europe. I don't hate nor love them.

Having lived a whole life in Eastern Europe (or maybe Central), I never even heard about it.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I didn't catch it at first, but in a secondary viewing Sam said that Zemo's escape through the sewer was like El Chapo. So I guess El Chapo exists in this world, or at least he did. Maybe Ronin got to him in the 5 year period. Is this the first example of a modern day criminal mentioned in the MCU?

Probably. Unless you count TI's name in the credits of Ant-Man.

Archived