Robb Stark's Corpse: The Small Folk Tell Tales

Robb Stark is dead. there is little doubt in that, we saw it happen at the Red Wedding.

Later, we hear that his body was mutilated and his wolf's head sown atop his own. Unlike Cat's body, we never see this happen through a character, just hear of it. Besides that we don't get many details regarding grew winds death or what happens to Robb's corpse.

Maybe they just tossed it into a shallow grave... maybe. or maybe the tales small folk tell have distorted the truth. Theirs a long ways between the Twins and Kings Landing, and if anything is true, it's that the small folk have the tendency to both exaggerate things and make things up.

So what if this is not what really happened? What if grey wind never died but was saved by Robb's squire?

If they lost robb's corpse in the confusion or his wolf, Walder or his men afraid of their lord, may lie about what happened to save face. better to lie than admit incompetence.

And so maybe grey wind is still out there. maybe robb warged into him before it was too late. maybe they made it to greywater watch and maybe robb's body did too. It's not as if we know where ned's body is at this point, so who's to say its not being kept at the same place. 

Maybe its not the case. maybe the mutilation of robb went as we hear it from Tyrion. I'm just skeptical.

I think I know what passage you're referring too. the one where its Jon in a wolf dream as ghost. it said something along the along the lines of 'four remained... and one he could no longer sense.'

I interpreted that line as four including ghost and summer who was beyond the wall outside of his sense. they knew lady was dead, but the wording is more vague regarding grey wind.

54 minutes ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:
I think I know what passage you're referring too. the one where its Jon in a wolf dream as ghost. it said something along the along the lines of 'four remained... and one he could no longer sense.'

I interpreted that line as four including ghost and summer who was beyond the wall outside of his sense. they knew lady was dead, but the wording is more vague regarding grey wind.

Well one of the good things about chatting about a book that people have been waiting forever for is that all of these conversations have been had before. I just went looking for the quote and found this whole post on your premise. Relevant quotes are there as well. Maybe something to it, I think the mutt's dead, but the guy makes a pretty strong case for 'maybe not'

LOL tried to post just the link but it looks like it's all right here.

Another supporting fact: Freys are known to have told outrageous lies about the Red Wedding. From ADWD 19:

One of the Freys stepped forward, a knight long and lean of limb, clean-shaved but for a grey mustache as thin as a Myrish stiletto. “The Red Wedding was the Young Wolf’s work. He changed into a beast before our eyes and tore out the throat of my cousin ....... And many more. Mine own son Tytos was amongst them, and my daughter’s husband. When Stark changed into a wolf, his northmen did the same. The mark of the beast was on them all. Wargs birth other wargs with a bite, it is well-known.” .......

The man was smirking as he told the tale. Davos wanted to peel his lips off with a knife. “Ser, may I have your name?”

“Ser Jared, of House Frey.”

“Jared of House Frey, I name you liar.”

So who knows what else they lied about.

She saw something symbolic of the red wedding, but few of her visions were iron clad truths. 

From the wiki: Visions of Daenerys Targaryen

The warlock Pyat Pree persuades Daenerys Targaryen to seek answers in the House of the Undying. In the long hall, she passes many rooms containing visions before she reaches the chamber of the Undying. The visions include:[3]

1. A beautiful, naked woman being ravished by four little men who resemble the dwarf servitor
  2. A feast of slaughtered corpses holding cups, spoons, and food, with a dead man with a wolf's head sitting on a throne wearing an iron crown, apparently foreshadowing the Red Wedding.  
  3. Daenerys's childhood house with the red door in Braavos, along with Ser Willem Darry.
  4. A throne room with dragon skulls on the walls where a king resembling Aerys II Targaryen sits on a barbed throne and appears to give the order to burn the Red Keep during the Sack of King's Landing.
  5. A room where a silver-haired man (presumably Rhaegar Targaryen) is with a woman and a baby. The man names his son Aegon, says the child is "the prince that was promised", then plays a harp.
  6. A "splendor of wizards" who falsely claim to be the Undying of Qarth and offer to teach Daenerys the secret speech of dragonkind.

After reaching the gloomy chamber of the Undying Ones, Daenerys is also shown:[3]

1. The death of her brother, Viserys Targaryen.
  2. A tall lord with copper-skin and silver-gold hair beneath a banner of a fiery stallion, with a burning city in the background (this may be a glimpse at what Rhaego's future would have been).
  3. A dying prince (likely Rhaegar Targaryen) mutters a woman's name with his last breath, rubies flying from his chest.
  4. A blue-eyed king who casts no shadow (possibly Stannis Baratheon) raises a red sword in his hand.
  5. A cloth dragon sways on poles amidst a cheering crowd.
  6. A great stone beast takes wing from a smoking tower, breathing shadows.
  7. Daenerys's silver trots through grass to a darkling stream under a sea of stars.
  8. A corpse standing at the prow of a ship with bright eyes and grey smiling lips (possibly a reference to greyscale or a Greyjoy)
  9. A blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice, filling the air with sweetness (this could indicate Jon Snow's true parentage and potential kinship to Daenerys).
  10. Boneless, terrible shadows whirl inside a tent.
  11. A little girl (likely Daenerys) runs barefoot toward a big house with a red door.
  12. Mirri Maz Duur's death by pyre.
  13. The corpse of the wineseller who had attempted to poison Daenerys being dragged behind her silver.
  14. A white lion running through tall grass.
  15. Naked crones emerging from a great lake beneath the Mother of Mountains to kneel before Daenerys.
  16. Ten thousand slaves crying "Mother!" as Daenerys rides past on her silver.

These events are things that happen or may have happened, but most importantly they are depicted symbolically. The mummers dragon is not actually a cloth dragon. The White Lion, is not a real white lion. The wolf headed man in the crown is symbolic of Robb, but it is not a definitive vision of the physical events at the red wedding.

The essay posted by @Jay21 has convinced me of one thing. The Freys did not sew Grey Wind's head onto Robb's body. That would be quite impossible for the same reason you can't sew a horse's head onto a human body. The Freys would have used a common wolfs head, if indeed this tale is true, and the Freys lie and exxagerate enough that even this claim may be a lie. There is no doubt that Robb is dead, but Grey Wind's fate has enough ambiguity that I would not be surprised to learn that he survived the Red Wedding.

14 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

The Freys did not sew Grey Wind's head onto Robb's body. That would be quite impossible for the same reason you can't sew a horse's head onto a human body.

I don't see why. Bran describes the dead direwolf found at the beginning of AGOT as "twice the size of the largest hound in his father's kennel", which isn't that huge. Furthermore, Grey Wind died at approximately 18 months of age, meaning that he would still have grown larger (internet tells me a wolf reaches its maximum size between its second and third year), and therefore he would likely be smaller that his mother.

So, as I see it, sewing Grey's Wind head to Robb's corpse is perfectly doable.

9 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I don't see why. Bran describes the dead direwolf found at the beginning of AGOT as "twice the size of the largest hound in his father's kennel", which isn't that huge. Furthermore, Grey Wind died at approximately 18 months of age, meaning that he would still have grown larger (internet tells me a wolf reaches its maximum size between its second and third year), and therefore he would likely be smaller that his mother.

So, as I see it, sewing Grey's Wind head to Robb's corpse is perfectly doable.

Bran also says the dead direwolf was "even bigger than his pony." And you probably can't sew a pony's head onto a man's corpse. Since we don't know how big the largest hound in the kennel actually is, its far too vague and unreliable to be used as proof. Even accounting for age, Grey Wind was still big enough to tear limbs from people and fight in battle against armed men, so he certainly wasn't small. Grey Wind is probably dead, but there is ambiguity on the matter, so we should consider the possibility that he is not.

Archived