Football: (Sky-)blue raindrops over a Red parade?

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they also asked Tuchel how he'd like to be their next manager. I'd also give a small chance to Kohfehldt and Streich.

There is no way Bayern can afford what Abramovic would demand for nicking their manager after six months. 

Where's Flick going? National team, or?

26 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

There is no way Bayern can afford what Abramovic would demand for nicking their manager after six months. 

Where's Flick going? National team, or?

Remember Tuchel is only on a short term contract (rest of this season and next season). If Abramovich had signed him for two seasons, I wouldn't have bothered mentioning him. But the Bayern post is probably gonna be the most discussed position in the football media for a while. The higher profile managers in Germany (not named Nagelsmann) have just signed elsewhere: Rose in Dortmund and Hütter in Gladbach. And Gladbach's DoF Eberl was very happy that he is no longer in the market for a manager for next season. It's good to remember Bayern's job profile for their manager, which includes speaks German as a high priority. Other candidates apart from Nagelsmann and Tuchel are then ten Hag (who was the front runner when Flick got the job) and Marsch. Other German clubs, who are also looking for new managers are probably not happy with Bayern competing with them. Frankfurt need a Hütter replacement, and Leverkusen might now be more inclined to make their FA loanee Wolf a more permanent appointment. And the other clubs are looking worried at their managers. e.g. I can very well see Union's Fischer ending up with the Frankfurt post (or the Leverkusen one). Kohfeldt might end up in Leipzig should Nagelsmann leave (ok, but in this case that post has written Marsch all over it). Freiburg on the other hand are probably only worried over two suitors for Streich. Bayern and the German FA.

That's the popular assumption. Flick himself was kinda cryptic: "Sometimes you have to stop, to do something else in the future." or something like that. Make of that what you will. Reportedly he was still in contact with Bierhoff, so that would also point toward the Germany post.

Another one bites the dust for Real Madrid. Valverde is in quarantine after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for covid-19. So that leaves them with just 12 outfield players available for today's game. They are calling up 4 or 5 youth team players to make up the numbers on the bench.

I hate VAR. There needs to be a rewriting of the rules. There is no unfair advantage if  you’re even with a defender and a hand is in front or a toe is a centimeter off. Just a stupid implementation that no one wants.

I mean, come on. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Also City, PSG and German clubs not on that list. All supporters of any super league clubs should be morally obligated to start supporting Accrington Stanley instead 

City are in too according to this - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/sports/soccer/super-league-united-liverpool-juventus-madrid.html

The super league isn't happening....yet. There's just way too much backlash. What could happen is the parasites who want a super league will continue lobbying and threatening in an attempt to slowly turn the CL into as much of a closed shop as possible. The new 36-team format coming into effect in 2024 was already a concession to the super clubs.

Also on the not happening side. Fans are already unhappy with new more bloated CL format. And as long as UEFA and the domestic leagues are adament about kicking participating clubs out, and FIFA is backing them with banning players.

And btw. Gary Neville is 100% correct with what he had to say about it.

The German clubs will not participate. They'd need a vote from their general assemblies, which they wouldn't get (altho I'd be curious about the security measures they'd need to get in place for those, if they put the Super League on the agenda). Dortmund already had to point to the Italian clubs for the CL reform, basically claiming. Look we don't like it, but if we didn't agree to that, they'd have started that Super League.

These bozos have shot themselves in the foot. At least, the billionaire bozos in charge of the EPL clubs.

Gary Neville's petition for government intervention to protect our clubs, in the form of legislation and an independent regulator to help prevent this type of bullshit, might now find its way into Boris Johnson's inbox. I can see him getting personally involved, and making a big deal of the country knowing he is. 

Of the six English clubs who are said to have signed up, how many are owned by foreign states / private equity / foreign investors?

Arsenal - Stan Kroenke, Failson and Marriage Millionaire

Chelsea - Russian Oligarch

Liverpool - American Sports Investment Firm

Man City - Petrostate

Man United - American Debt Farmers

Spurs - British Investment Vehicle

One of the reasons that the English (and to a lesser extent, the Scottish) League is more interesting and charismatic than the Spanish, Italian, German, etc. is the history and rich tradition of clubs and communities competing across the land.

At 3PM on any given Saturday, Accrington Stanley could theoretically rock up and play at Anfield, and Sheffield Wednesday could play Sheffield United, and Luton Town could host Nottingham Forest at Kenilworth Road.  In a time without Covid, supporters will gather and drink, then cheer and sing, then exit the stadia and drink some more.  There will be gossip at Scunthorpe, drama at Plymouth, and someone will crash their tractor arguing about Ipswich.

This is far more romantic and desirable to me than having the same twelve super-clubs earning frequent flyer miles traveling to each other's arenas all the time.  Frankly the Big Cup and Euro Vase have become less interesting as the big clubs have tried to close the shop.  Watching my team play some exotic group of unknowns that had just emerged from behind the Iron Curtain was way better and more interesting than now.

I know that the foreign investors have a bunch of MBAs working their spreadsheets until they are red-hot to tell them that the big money is found in big teams playing each other, but eventually the fan base will wither and shrink away.  You can only choke golden eggs out of that goose for so long.

41 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Also on the not happening side. Fans are already unhappy with new more bloated CL format. And as long as UEFA and the domestic leagues are adament about kicking participating clubs out, and FIFA is backing them with banning players.

And btw. Gary Neville is 100% correct with what he had to say about it.

The German clubs will not participate. They'd need a vote from their general assemblies, which they wouldn't get (altho I'd be curious about the security measures they'd need to get in place for those, if they put the Super League on the agenda). Dortmund already had to point to the Italian clubs for the CL reform, basically claiming. Look we don't like it, but if we didn't agree to that, they'd have started that Super League.

I feel like the premier league needs to adopt the German model. I wish it would, it’s never going to happen but I can still wish

Archived