Football: (Sky-)blue raindrops over a Red parade?

A Horse Named Stranger

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Ryan Giggs has been charged with assaulting two women and coercive or controlling behaviour between 2017 and 2020. He really is a nice guy isn't he?

First he shags his brother's wife. Now this. 

What a dreadful excuse of a human being. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

As far as I'm concerned, it was a bunch of outsiders trying to wreck the EPL. I make no apology for not really giving a toss about the UCL. 

It’s probably better to phrase it that way, but would it have really wrecked the EPL? You’d have to expel the six teams, but without the big money teams you’d have a system that would more reflect the tradition you want to preserve.  

And no, they won't try again in a few years. Because by then, measures will have been put in place that will render anything remotely like this bullshit impossible. 

I wouldn’t be so sure about this. I think some of the legal threats were empty talk, and FIFA would never actually through a WC without the top players.

Perhaps if these amazingly successful billionaires hadn't been so monstrously incompetent in the manner in which it was launched, their coup might have been successful. Instead, all they have achieved is enormous reputational damage, and their names carved into history as architects of one of the most spectacular sporting fuckups the world has ever seen. 

I think it absolutely would have worked if they had been more gentle about it and offered more flexibility from the jump. But yes for now their names will always be associated with one of the greatest epic sports failures ever.

Archived