Football: (Sky-)blue raindrops over a Red parade?

A Horse Named Stranger

Well....

Miles better than Brighton, but still not great. And we gift Spurs a point there.

I was a bit surprised at how bad Spurs were. They have quality players, but still they looked like a Proper Bad Team today, one which - if not for Kane would be Nailed On For Relegation Battle With Nobody Wondering Why. 

Probably goes for us without Hamish, too, at times, so ...

Everton gifted Kane two goals on a silver platter. Some real braindead defending cost Everton 2 points as they were the better side. Keane and Holgate were poor. Richarlison does a lot of good work but continues to be very wasteful at the crucial moments.

Kane has also now overtaken Robbie Fowler as the player to score the most premier league goals without winning the title.

Was a more response to Kane now being the player with most goals to have never won the title.

And my first instinct is always to ask what about Shearer? Then after a few seconds of thought, I remember that he won the title with Blackburn. I really tend to forget that Blackburn were actually EPL champions some twenty years ago (with Shearer), because of their deep fall.

21 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Harry Kane is really great and everything, but Shearer was just insane, a whole different level in terms of resilience and consistency.

In fairness like, while Shearer may not have burned out at some stage of every season the way Kane does, Kane's worst goalscoring season since he broke into the first team was two years ago with 17, whereas Shearer failed to break double figures on three occasions and also has a 10, 14, 16 and 17 in there.

59 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

In fairness like, while Shearer may not have burned out at some stage of every season the way Kane does, Kane's worst goalscoring season since he broke into the first team was two years ago with 17, whereas Shearer failed to break double figures on three occasions and also has a 10, 14, 16 and 17 in there.

Kane is really great, but Shearer was better.

5 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Kane is really great, but Shearer was better.

Quite possibly- I don't think it's completely cut and dried but Shearer was an unbelievably good player amd a tough act to top- but if he was better t wasn't because Kane is more inconsistent.
It was because his hold-up play and movement were so good and because Shearer is still probably a top-five finisher in my lifetime and as good a scorer as he is Kane definitely needs more chances to my recollections of Shearer.

Pretty hard to compare the two isn’t it? Kane is operating almost as a midfielder at times and being asked to come back and be the only creative outlet in the side. Even for England he was very deep. It’s testament to his quality that he still finds himself in goal scoring positions and scores as much as he does 

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

All after his injury. And/or in limited appearances.

Prior to his injury he scored 133 in 169 for Blackburn and Newcastle. After he scored 123 in 272. Massive difference. 

Kane's best 4 year run was comparable, but not quite as good, 105 in 139. 

Swansea have drawn against Wycombe which means that Norwich are guaranteed promotion. Watford fell to a disappointing defeat against Luton but still have a 6 point lead over 3rd place (5 points if Brentford win their game in hand) with 4 game to play so that should be enough of a cushion to see them automatically promoted as well.

Reports that Neymar has reached an agreement with PSG on a new contract until 2026. An official announcement is expected to be made this month.

ETA. Real Madrid's injury crisis deepens and they only have 13 outfield players available for tomorrow's game against Getafe.

Thought EPL clubs who drop don't win promotions the following season.

But yeah, checked the Championship table yesterday after I was reminded of the existence of Blackburn. Impressive season by Norwich. Will they be able to keep Skipp for another season, or does Tottenham have use for him. I read an interview with Farke a couple of months ago, in which he mentioned the importance of Skipp for his team. Context was having a good reputation of developing young players being helpful of getting players who are too good for the Championship, but were not quite at the level to play for a top 6 club. And he considered Skipp to be a perfectly fine EPL calibre player.

I doubt Skipp will be sent back out on loan next season. Spurs will likely have a use for him in the first team especially considering how poor Winks and Sissoko have been. Spurs could also have a new manager next season too. Alasdair Gold who is very reliable for Spurs has written an article in Football London today saying that Mourinho is likely to be sacked at the end of the season if Spurs don't qualify for the CL (which doesn't look likely). 

Yeah, Mourinho's halflife as a manager has somewhat shortened drastically. If Tottenham want Skipp in a regular first team role, then that pretty much ends any hope for Norwich to keep him. If he was considered for a rotation role, then argument could've been made that being a key player at Norwich for another season being better for his development and thus getting a much better player back next year. Anyway, so Norwich will have to look for a replacement for Skipp. And I assume, there will be a few clubs also be interested in Farke.

Archived