Football: (Sky-)blue raindrops over a Red parade?

A Horse Named Stranger

So what is the driving factor for Super League? There is so much opposition, it's weird that the clubs are trying to go this route. I am sure to a certain degree it is driven by money, but like....how?

The local fans are against it, but maybe international fans don't care? Are more of the clubs money generated from international markets where the fans don't care about the smaller clubs/local league and just want big clubs vs big clubs every season? And the $$ are big enough to piss off the local fans?

The pundits are against it, but are the broadcasters against it? I can't imagine BT/Sky etc would care all that much if they make boat loads of money from getting rights to the Super League (easy enough to replace pundits). But surely they would lose a lot of their small club customers? 

I guess if Youtube/Amazon join the fray they are not as vulnerable to boycotting football fans considering the diverse nature of those businesses. So maybe more money to be made for the clubs on streaming platforms?

I don't get it. The reward doesn't seem to match the risk (could be I am just misunderstanding how big the reward is.....). Or is there more of a political/powerplay aspect that aren't as obvious or being discussed at the moment?

It's basically a test balloon to test the waters this time.  At least that's Spiegel's Peter Ahren's read of the situation. Those clubs have right now no intention to break away, as the structure is currently not in place, and thus it's better to milk the CL cash cow. Of course UEFA calling this ESL abomination cynical is pretty rich. For them it's defending their financial interests. His take on the different nations is, there's just no shame left in the home countries of the clubs involved. In Germany there's still some left (not much tho), so the German clubs rightly feared the public backlash. PSG, well, their owner owns beIN Sports, who have paid good money for the CL coverage rights. So he has very little interest in devalueing those rights.

Anyhow, I think, that looking at the involved clubs is kinda revealing.

Barca has gotten itself so deep into financial trouble with their wages and mismanagement under Bartomeu, they are desperate for a financial shot.

Real are also not run particularly sustainable, the problem got magnified by the pandemic.

Those Italian clubs same story.

The EPL clubs are on solid financial footings (the TV mega deal). But even there a look at the clubs is kinda revealing.

Arsenal: Kroenke has a rep to be drawing money out of his sports team. That has happened at Arsenal too, thus they have lost ground in terms of competitiveness. So little surprise Kroenke wants to milk this additional cash cow.

Spurs they are kinda eager to have a squad to match their new stadium, that is my guess. But their ownership has never pumped crazy money in the club. So they'd presumably like to get cash to strengthen their team. Liverpool are in a similar situation. Neither of them are in desperate need for cash tho (unlike the Spanish and Italian clubs).

United presumably just want to increase revenue, I'd put them into same bracket as Arsenal. With the difference, that their owners have also actually let them spend crazy money. So just looking for more money to burn.

Chelsea and City. No idea what the driver is actually there. Their owners are not really in it for the money but for fun (trophies) and sportswashing. Maybe being free from the shackles of FFP.

2 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

So what is the driving factor for Super League? There is so much opposition, it's weird that the clubs are trying to go this route. I am sure to a certain degree it is driven by money, but like....how?

For the last twenty years, every major city, and a lot of mid-sized cities in Asia has had a Manchester United Store.  From Jakarta to Sendai, these retail establishments coin money from "fans" who jumped on the Premier League bandwagon.

Almost nothing ever sold in those stores has been within a hundred miles of Manchester the city - the stuff is made by poor children in Asia, shipped to the store and sold to rich children in Asia.  And the subsequent large profits service the debts to the Glazers.

Most of the other "big clubs" have viewed this ancillary revenue stream with envy, and they see overseas broadcast rights as a growth market.  If they can form a Super League, they can collect all the TV revenue without sharing it out to the other 18-22 teams that make regular stops in the top division, and people will also want to shop in the Chelsea / Arsenal / City / Liverpool stores.

(I am not sure exactly how the Spurs got into this group, though.)

I guess if Youtube/Amazon join the fray they are not as vulnerable to boycotting football fans considering the diverse nature of those businesses. So maybe more money to be made for the clubs on streaming platforms?

Remains to be seen. If football fans started to boycott their streaming services (not just the Super League streams) in reponse, that might be end up to be quite painful financially. You shouldn't underestimate the emotional value people attach to football. Amazon in particular is getting away with a lot of shit, but that might very well be the proverbial straw - at least for their European business. If I were in charge of it, I'd at least be very careful when touching those Super League rights.

The pundits are against it, but are the broadcasters against it? I can't imagine BT/Sky etc would care all that much if they make boat loads of money from getting rights to the Super League (easy enough to replace pundits). But surely they would lose a lot of their small club customers? 

Also remains to be seen. If subscriptions drop, and fans are adament about punishing companies ivolved in it, this could turn out to be quite costly. A pity fans are atm not allowed in the stadiums.

What really feels like a punch in the gut is the bit in the statement about how the pandemic has accelerated the European models instability. You could say it technically has, but it has nothing to do with the model and everything to do with the greed and poor financial management of the clubs involved. Did they think to look at the way Barcelona have somehow managed to make themselves paupers despite being at the very top of the ladder? How can Juventus not compete despite holding a virtual monopoly in Italy. 

These are the same clubs who complain about FFP or like City completely flout it. 

Maybe they have identified that there is a problem, but it’s a problem based on ever expanding greed and a lack of oversight as to who can own clubs. All these clubs are basically investment vehicles now, nothing more and the owners want returns on their investment. 

Im hoping every government, supporters body, and league basically throws the book at them and punishes them into obilivion. All fans should boycott those clubs until they can begging on hands and knees to be allowed to play Crystal Palace again

The clubs believe they'll be playing Crystal Palace on the weekends, while they play each other on weeknights (or so their statement says).

It's hard to believe that's just bravado: I'm wondering if they've taken legal advice over the risk of being expelled from their domestic leagues (which they are all members of and, at least in England, part owners of, too) and think there's at least a contestable case against expulsion.

Yeah the sad thing is they might be right, I'm sure there is probably some piece of smallprint that means they can't be expelled for this kinda crap. 

I'm also guessing that maybe they just estimate that public opinion will either die down on this once games get going, or that they will be able to twist the narrative, or that they can simply bribe the rest of the pyramid into doing it (what they attempted before) or that as its a global game audiences in other places like Asia will just not care about history or tradition and will just want to watch Real vs City every week

I know it's been less than a day but I'm surprised that we still haven't heard anything from the current players and managers. Are they likely to be under some sort of gagging order?

Some of them may be attracted by the money but there has to be more than a few who are furious that they might not be able to play for their country. 

If this new competition was meant to be replacing Champions League and cutting UEFA out, I'd be all for it. If it was a case of top 4 from Premier League go into Super League instead of Champions League, I'd see no issue with it at all. The whole "these are the clubs that will be playing no matter what" is just wrong. It has been proven wrong in basketball, it will be proven wrong with Super League.

Also, with all due respect to Arsenal fans on this board, what makes Arsenal a Super League material? Why take them over Leicester? It just shows that the point of this league is not to have the best compete against each other but rather the most popular. Let's not kid ourselves, the Champions League has been just that for years but at least in theory everyone could at least make it to the Champions League, even if they were cannon fodder once they made it there. I mean, it stopped being Champions League once multiple clubs from the same league could play in it every season and turned into a Super League of sorts.

On the other hand, I think it's about time clubs started pushing back to UEFA and FIFA in a serious manner. I mean, FIFA just shattered all European leagues and competitions schedules for Qatar World Cup and clubs were meant to just sit there and take it? This league is probably not the best way to do it, but UEFA and FIFA are corrupt to the bone and I'd like to see them kicked to the sidelines as soon as possible.

Also, none of the European competitions have been even slightly interesting until at least the quarter finals, maybe not even then. They are already bloated and pointless with too many dead rubber games.

I barely know the champions league is happening any more now it’s not on terrestrial tv. Why does anyone think doubling down on that format is a good idea?

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Also, none of the European competitions have been even slightly interesting until at least the quarter finals, maybe not even then. They are already bloated and pointless with too many dead rubber games.

I barely know the champions league is happening any more now it’s not on terrestrial tv. Why does anyone think doubling down on that format is a good idea?

Because the Americans in charge of the EPL clubs believe that football should be content, not sport. Cunts, the lot of them.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Because the Americans in charge of the EPL clubs believe that football should be content, not sport. Cunts, the lot of them.

Exactly, sport is too risky. Wtf is up with this relegation idea, don’t do that in America. Why would we want a club winning something if it wasn’t part of our pre ordained cartel ? 

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Not sure how true this is, but reading that Mourinho was sacked after refusing to begin training due to all this ESL stuff.

Wouldn't that then rule him out of consideration for managing any ESL team?

Can't see Mourinho doing that. I know he's less than likely to get any of those jobs anyway, but still.

Or he could just be bored with the current state of affairs in football?

It's been clear for a while that he doesn't like dealing with modern day players, their agents etc.

I remember him recently saying that Lampard was a man at the age of 23 and that players today are nowhere near that.

Archived