Covid-19 #30: Vaccines and All That JJAZ

Fragile Bird

5 hours ago, Padraig said:

Given it is hoped that vaccination will hinder spread also, it will be an interesting case study!   With COVID under control, they should be able to trace things very clearly.

The EMA will give an update on J&J today.  Largely a non-story except if they give an update on the number of relevant cases.

Yes it seems to have been a non-story. They mention 8 cases, 1 fatal.

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Very interesting.  I really wish the media would make more of those sort of stories.  If you do a bit of reading you find out that one of the reasons for the J&J suspension in the US was that they wanted to make sure doctors would know about the correct treatments.  But there is very little attention on the treatment side of things.

2 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

Yes it seems to have been a non-story. They mention 8 cases, 1 fatal.

Right.  The EMA was always going to give that advice.  The "good" news is that the number of cases has only increased to 8.  So its very close to 1 case per million doses.  Pfizer is probably close to 1 in 10 million, Moderna might be circa 1 in 20 million (but i'm guessing how many doses they have given).  AstraZeneca stands out, even if still relatively rare.

The EMA said there had been more than 300 cases worldwide of rare blood clotting incidents combined with low platelet counts after use of Covid-19 vaccines.

There were 287 occurrences with the AstraZeneca vaccine, eight with Johnson & Johnson's shot, 25 for Pfizer and five for Moderna, said Peter Arlett, Head of Data Analytics at the EMA.

So we'll see what the European countries will now do.  Based on the available data, there is a clear difference between AZ and J&J (somebody suggested that one way to make AZ safer was to reduce the size of the dose.  I wonder is the J&J dose "smaller"), so you should be able to treat them differently.  But the worry is that they will put the exact same restrictions on AZ as J&J, which will make J&J useless.  (The US will almost certainly clear it for use but maybe it will apply some condition also).

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0420/1211016-johnson-johnson/

Hey @Fragile Bird and @Chataya de Fleury, North Dakota is offering free vaccinations to Canadian truckers travelling from Manitoba.  Only about 4,000 truckers seem to be eligible per the WSJ article I'm taking this from (pay wall so I'm not even bothering to link).  The ND governor says it is a pilot and could be expanded to include energy workers from Saskatchewan traveling to the Bakken shale.  

I will be curious to see if other border states (including my own) start to roll out similar programs as vaccine uptake starts to wane.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-04-20-21/h_eec65d5d1d43437d4793964fd095f4a3

Thousands of Canada's essential workers will be vaccinated in North Dakot
 From CNN’s Paula Newton in Ottawa

North Dakota and the Canadian province of Manitoba announced Tuesday that the state would begin vaccinating as many as 4,000 of Canada’s essential workers, mainly cross-border truck drivers, as early as Wednesday.

“The US has got a lot of vaccine and Canada’s got less so this is an opportunity for us to work together starting with essential workers,” said North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum during a joint news conference with Manitoba’s premier Brian Pallister. 
The leaders described it as a "continental first" hoping that it will eventually help reopen the US-Canada border more quickly in the months to come. 

Canada announced Tuesday that its border with the US will remain closed to all non-essential travel until at least May 21. The border has been under travel restrictions for more than a year.

“Beginning tomorrow the state of North Dakota will provide COVID-19 vaccines to fully immunize Manitoba based truck drivers during their routine trips to the United states and over the next 6-8 weeks conclude with the second vaccine and they will be doing that thanks to the government of the United States of America, free of charge and we say thank you,” said Pallister.

Burgum said that more than 50% of North Dakotans have already received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine and with more doses on the way, this was a good opportunity to be a "good neighbor."

Pallister said he hoped this would lead to more US-Canada cooperation and that others across the country would emulate this program.

Today, being a beautiful day, people are packing the streets and parks, which, incidentally reek of pot.  I overheard varieties of this conversation among NYU students, which goes something like this. "Well, I don't lie about being vaccinated.  Well, hardly ever.  But I know loads of people who I know are not vaccinated and they tell people they are so they can do the things people who are vaccinated are doing with each other."  Which may explain 1) "How did we ever get infected?  We've always been so careful and never see anyone who isn't as careful as we are, and we hardly seen of them either. 2) so many in the more youthful demographics are now getting infected.

Lol, as nice a gesture as that is, we have 31 M adults in this country and that’s 4,000 people they’re talking about. Try to keep that in mind. And presumably some have been vaccinated already, some with AZ which you don’t have in the US.

I wish I knew how many Canadians got vaccinated in Florida. 

Maskless North Dakota has hardly any population, particularly after last summer and fall.  NYC on the other hand, we have lots of population, though not as many as two years ago either.  But we shall see.  The shops that have survived, are all doing business, just like the restaurants that survived.

Argh. The first two positive cases in my children’s Creche today. Small likely to be home for 2 weeks. Big probably out of school too. I HATE working with a 2 year old in the house. Looks like work hours just expanded to as and when seven through eleven. Hoping I’ll get my first shot in May, probably June though. 

excuse me while I go order premium spirits

6 minutes ago, Deedles said:

Argh. The first two positive cases in my children’s Creche today. Small likely to be home for 2 weeks. Big probably out of school too. I HATE working with a 2 year old in the house. Looks like work hours just expanded to as and when seven through eleven. Hoping I’ll get my first shot in May, probably June though. 

excuse me while I go order premium spirits

Well that sucks.

Are you vaccinated?

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well that sucks.

Are you vaccinated?

Nope. No vaccines here for those under ?65 without underlying vulnerability or front line health care worker. Will be age based from here (which I agree with) but as in late 30s will probably be late May/early June before I get my first sho

Its been 5 hours since the jab and no side effects yet, apart from slight soreness in arm (actually less than the first one, I think). I do have a minor ache in the back, but thats because I didnt take my own advice from the dating thread and didnt do the obligatory 20/20/20 stretch while working at my home office.

I do wonder if I wont get too many side effects since I am one of the olds and male to boot.

A close friend who is not young-young, but is younger, got her 2nd Moderna vaccination this morning.  By early afternoon, she got fatigue, headache, fever and chills.  She's got all the supplies which I suggested she lay in for a couple of days of feeling clobbered, if it happened. Which it has.  Whereas another friend, who is undergoing chemotherapy right now, and having a really hard time, didn't hardly even feel she'd gotten the second inoculation.  It does seem the younger one is, the more lively one's immune system, the more likely one is to have this reaction, especially if female.  But purely anecdotal, so NOPE, I know nothin', Jon Snow.  Yet I remain fascinated to hear people's experiences and reactions.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

A close friend who is not young-young, but is younger, got her 2nd Moderna vaccination this morning.  But early afternoon, she got fatigue, headache, fever and chills, just as I did.  She's got all the supplies which I suggested she lay in for a couple of days of feeling clobbered, if it happened. Which it has.  Whereas another friend, who is undergoing chemotherapy right now, and having a really hard time, didn't hardly even feel she'd gotten the second inoculation.  It does seem the younger one is, the more lively one's immune system, the more likely one is to have this reaction.

Someone having chemo has a suppressed immune system and the vaccine does not apparently have as great as an effect on them, but the doctors here in Toronto are certainly recommending getting it anyway. That's why my friend with lymphoma was given the Pfizer shot, he will start chemo in the next couple of weeks and the oncologist wanted him vaccinated beforehand, before his immune system is hit.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Someone having chemo has a suppressed immune system and the vaccine does not apparently have as great as an effect on them, but the doctors here in Toronto are certainly recommending getting it anyway. That's why my friend with lymphoma was given the Pfizer shot, he will start chemo in the next couple of weeks and the oncologist wanted him vaccinated beforehand, before his immune system is hit.

O yes, absolutely.  I brought my friend enduring chemo -- for the second time in her life, as her remission from breast cancer came to a stop -- as it really illustrates in real life what you bring up.  I should have said that, but evidently assumed everybody knows this, because judging by the people who post here, a lot of us doing so multiple times every day just about.  Duh. Which, by other anecdotal evidence and news stories, a lot of people seem not to know.

6 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Well, to answer that properly I'd have to ask your age; but I am 46. Still feeling relatively ok, but maybe it'll hit me in the middle of the night.

It's that Indian immune system. Yes, this makes medical sense.

( I also had no reaction to both doses, but I'm 27)

Archived