Sign in to follow this  
L'oiseau français

Covid-19 #30: Vaccines and All That JJAZ

Slowing down the rate of the skeptical is the actual problem!

Arizona has opened up all the vaccination centers for walk-in shots, as the demand for appointments on-line has slowed down.

Two thoughts:

First, we need to get the vaccines out to the Rez.  The Navajo Nation, Hopi Nation, Apache Land, all of those eastern areas need to get some sort of replica of the Bookmobile, but for vaccinations.  And then also possibly door-to-door outreach in the seriously remote areas.

Second, the dip$hits who openly brag about not getting the vaccine and not planning on getting the vaccine are going to be the vector for some new strain of the virus.  A couple I know who spent the last month in the Caribbean are now proudly spouting about how they don't need to get a shot or wear masks.  Argh.

I’m more in the carrot rather than the stick camp.  There need to be significant incentives to obtaining a vaccination, whether monetary or otherwise.

In my experience, many of the persuadable stragglers are ones troubled by the perception that the mRNA vaccines were fast tracked to approval within 8 months, and they are concerned about the side effects not being fully investigated. I dont know how to address best, but at present we have nearly 135 million points of experimental data, and while long term effects are not fleshed out, I also see no reason why this vaccine would have any.

I would tout the safety aspects a little bit more of the Pfizer and Moderna. Corporations can also offer discounts for being fully vaccinated (like Krispy Kreme).

10 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I’m more in the carrot rather than the stick camp.  There need to be significant incentives to obtaining a vaccination, whether monetary or otherwise.

On that note, west Virginia is offering money to.people to get the vaccine. 

Just now, Karlbear said:

Honestly, West Virginia has really shown leadership on the vaccine front.

32 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

I would want to see data on how well that works. There was a poll done in Poland and people said they would NOT take a vaccine if they were offered money on account of there being something wrong with it if you need to be paid to get it. But that’s a poll, not actual real-life data.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I do think the J&J pause did cause an increase in wariness, but that would probably only affect people who were already skeptical. IIRC there was a projected slowdown in vaccinations for May, but that was from a few months back and we're ahead of schedule with the overall vaccination process, so perhaps it's just happening sooner than expected. 

Frankly though I think society needs to implement some rather punitive measures to get the stragglers' asses in gear.

Could we start with the public flagellation of Joe Rogan? Verbal that is. Also a red hot poker up Tucker Carlson's ass. I'm being totally metaphorical here.

Rogan is just stupid. Carlson is being partisan. He knows the longer it goes on the easier it will be for Republicans to paint this as "Biden's virus."

Justin Trudeau and his wife just got shot with the AstraZeneca vaccine on live TV. Trump and his brood need to be mocked mercilessly until they do likewise. Same for Tucker Carlson. 

19 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Several of our friends back in Chicago are Indian and they’ve told us that COVID is just rampant now in India.  They all have family members and friends back home who have just recently been infected.  That sounds more alarming than I expected because their per-capita infection rate is about the same as what the US had a couple of weeks ago.

The rate is so low because India still hasn't straightened out the testing situation. We had basically the same situation in New York City in March and April of 2020: nominally low infection rates, but very high hospitalization and death rates. The US eventually got widespread testing going to the point where everyone who wants a test can have one, but India is still limited by the number of tests which results in sky-high positivity rates and strangely low infection rates.

At least NYC is reporting that it appears at least 95% of us showed up to keep our appointments for the second injection of Pfizer and Moderna.  That's just about the only good news I've seen today regarding the pandemic.  Sigh.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

At least NYC is reporting that it appears at least 95% of us showed up to keep our appointments for the second injection of Pfizer and Moderna.  That's just about the only good news I've seen today regarding the pandemic.  Sigh.

WSJ is reporting that vaccinations appear to be slowing positivity rates.  The 14 day average is consistently down....

5 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

WSJ is reporting that vaccinations appear to be slowing positivity rates.  The 14 day average is consistently down....

Thank you.  :)  But these mutations and variants are really worrying me.  We aren't anywhere near seeing an end to this mess or keeping distance and wearing masks, and certainly not for travel that includes planes and group events.

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Thank you.  :)  But these mutations and variants are really worrying me.  We aren't anywhere near seeing an end to this mess or keeping distance and wearing masks, and certainly not for travel that includes planes and group events.

You can only look ahead in 2 week increments. You will otherwise drive yourself crazy.

The Guardian had an article about the upcoming 'hot vax summer', so at least some folks are ready to get back to a life resembling normalcy. People are also putting their vaccine status up on dating apps and such. Just need a song about it and we should be all set.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

You can only look ahead in 2 week increments. You will otherwise drive yourself crazy.

Ya, but the pandemic curfew on bars and restaurants, indoors and out, and even sitting at the bar, are being removed.  Which is only a disasters, especially down here, where everybody comes, from all over the country and the world.  And they aren't vaccinated and they aren't wearing masks and we don't have vax passports or anything. Plus people admit they are lying.  A lot.  About vaccination.  It's like Times Square here almost all the time already as it is, packed with people.

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

The rate is so low because India still hasn't straightened out the testing situation. We had basically the same situation in New York City in March and April of 2020: nominally low infection rates, but very high hospitalization and death rates.

Yes.  You can learn a lot from positivity rates.  India's is 20% curently, one of the worst in the world.  Ecuador is at 41%, which is completely crazy.

For comparison, the US is 6%, the UK 0.2%.

Every day your case (and fatality) rates are going down is a very good day.  You are buying more time for your vaccination program to kick in.  You'd like it to be going down faster (of course) but it gives you a chance at least.  That's why the US and Europe looks ok right now (and hopefully it will continue).  Unlike other parts of the world.

The UK is kicking ass with its vaccination rates-

England, on average, has vaccinated 95% of those aged 50 and over, with the South West reaching 97% of people in that age group and London 87%. In Scotland, 98% of over 50s have had at least one dose of the vaccine, while Wales has reached 92% and Northern Ireland 89%.2 days ago

28 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The UK is kicking ass with its vaccination rates-

England, on average, has vaccinated 95% of those aged 50 and over, with the South West reaching 97% of people in that age group and London 87%. In Scotland, 98% of over 50s have had at least one dose of the vaccine, while Wales has reached 92% and Northern Ireland 89%.2 days ago

Thats really admirable! I think the UK is the only western country without any vaccine hesitancy. Actually I do not know of any country in the whole world with these rates.

I just read an article today (in German so no link) that in some African countries (Malawi and Uganda) they are starting to throw away vaccine (AZ -  from COVAX) because it has exceeded its expiration date because of vaccine hesitancy. There is a lot of distrust against vaccination in general there, and also the feeling that Covid isnt that bad ,  some person in the interview compared it to Ebola and said its really not that bad so why risk a vaccination?

I heard on npr that in India one hospital had 37 doctors and nurses come down with covid last month. 

The problem is that they were all fully vaccinated. 

Don't have any more details than that.