General parenting advice thread

BigFatCoward

On 2/28/2024 at 6:38 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Wife made mistake of letting 5 year old know:

a: there are games on her phone

b: her phone’s pin

So now my wife (or rether her phone) is daughter’s preferred choice to sit with her aftrr bath before bed.

She also told my wife to ‘calm yourself’.

Previously, on my wife asking for phone back, it was, ‘be patient. You need to share.’

You have got to nip this in the bud.  Start early or you'll find the phone bouncing off the back of your head when she's 11.   Your wife and you PAID for the damn phone, right?  

This smart phone in the hands of kids is a pet peeve of mine.  Nothing good comes of it.  After they're older and their personalities are more formed, and they can pay for it themselves! then fine.  

I got my first smart phone when I was OLD and immediately became addicted to it.  I look around at "kids nowadays" and think of all the things they could be doing and experiencing instead of having their noses in their phones.  I could go on, but I won't.

My 5 year old daughter caught some stomach bug that's been going around and stayed at home this past week. When she heard that most of her kindergarten group caught the same and were missing kindergarten, she said: "Lucky that all my friends got sick so they don't have to spend the whole week without me in kindergarten." :lol: 

Edited by baxus