Hugo Nominations & Awards: 2021 and Onward

LugaJetboyGirl

On 12/17/2021 at 11:03 AM, Ran said:

Looks like Chengdu is going to host the Worldcon in 2023, if reports are right. Much drama around this.

They've now been confirmed as the winner by 2006 to 807 despite what seems to have been a late attempt to change the counting procedure to disqualify 3/4 of the Chinese votes for not having a postal address on the ballot paper.

Yeah. It's an interesting one because it seems clear that Discon administrators prevented the non-binding resolution to be implemented by the site selection administrator who initiated the resolution by requesting clarification on how to proceed. There shall be more fall out, I expect, in days to come.

I will say that I suspect the answer for why so many lacked addresses is that reports are that university students were the great bulk of voters, and by all accounts groups of students pooled resources together so one of their number could vote (the cost of membership + site selection is very expensive by Chinese uni student standards) and I gather that student accommodations in China may not have postal addresses at all, or at least addresses parsable into standard address formats. 

ETA: At File 770, someone remarked that identity theft is a big concern in China and that that was the likely reason addresses were left off ballots. 

Edited by Ran

21 minutes ago, williamjm said:

They've now been confirmed as the winner by 2006 to 807 despite what seems to have been a late attempt to change the counting procedure to disqualify 3/4 of the Chinese votes for not having a postal address on the ballot paper.

I saw some of that play out on twitter. That was nasty.

The full winner's list:

BEST NOVEL

Network Effect, Martha Wells (Tor.com)

BEST NOVELLA

The Empress of Salt and Fortune, Nghi Vo (Tor.com)

BEST NOVELETTE

Two Truths and a Lie, Sarah Pinsker (Tor.com)

BEST SHORT STORY

“Metal Like Blood in the Dark”, T. Kingfisher (Uncanny Magazine, September/October 2020)

BEST SERIES

The Murderbot Diaries, Martha Wells (Tor.com)

BEST RELATED WORK

Beowulf: A New Translation, Maria Dahvana Headley (FSG)

BEST GRAPHIC STORY OR COMIC

Parable of the Sower: A Graphic Novel Adaptation, written by Octavia Butler, adapted by Damian Duffy, illustrated by John Jennings (Harry N. Abrams)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, LONG FORM

The Old Guard, written by Greg Rucka, directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood (Netflix / Skydance Media)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, SHORT FORM

The Good Place: Whenever You’re Ready, written and directed by Michael Schur (Fremulon / 3 Arts Entertainment / Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group)

BEST EDITOR, SHORT FORM

Ellen Datlow

BEST EDITOR, LONG FORM

Diana M. Pho

BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST

Rovina Cai

BEST SEMIPROZINE

FIYAH Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, publisher Troy L. Wiggins, executive editor DaVaun Sanders, managing editor Eboni Dunbar, poetry editor Brandon O’Brien, reviews and social media Brent Lambert, art director L. D. Lewis, and the FIYAH Team.

BEST FANZINE

nerds of a feather, flock together, ed. Adri Joy, Joe Sherry, The G, and Vance Kotrla

BEST FANCAST

The Coode Street Podcast, presented by Jonathan Strahan and Gary K. Wolfe, Jonathan Strahan, producer

BEST FAN WRITER

Elsa Sjunneson

BEST FAN ARTIST

Sara Felix

BEST VIDEO GAME

Hades (Publisher and Developer: Supergiant Games)

LODESTAR AWARD FOR BEST YOUNG ADULT BOOK (not a Hugo)

A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking, T. Kingfisher (Argyll Productions)

ASTOUNDING AWARD FOR THE BEST NEW WRITER, SPONSORED BY DELL MAGAZINES (not a Hugo)

Emily Tesh (2nd year of eligibility)

I had not expected Hades to win the Video Game Award, as I thought the more mainstream The Last of Us: Part 2 or perhaps Animal Crossing would take it... but I gather that Hades was included in the voter's packet, which was very cool. (Also the fact that more people could actually play it if they did request a copy probably helped, which is probably why Animal Crossing was in second place)

I am, of course, that good taste won out on the Best Related Works, and not just good taste, but something genuinely within the wheelhouse of what the award had actually been intended for for many years.

The voting statistics can be found here (PDF).

The best news for me is that The Coode Street Podcast finally won, it is very well deserved and well overdue.

Piranesi not winning any genre awards is a shame though not surprising.

Also nice to see Two Truths and a Lie win, it's an amazing story.

Apparently the nomination statistics will be released tomorrow, these are much more interesting to me than the final voting stats, I am curious to know which works were close to being nominated.

2 hours ago, David Selig said:

Also nice to see Two Truths and a Lie win, it's an amazing story.

Well then, I hope it's winning the Hugo will lead to it being published in paper for antideluvians like myself who don't do ebooks. :)

Also of course very happy to see the Headley translation win.

Edited by Ormond

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Well then, I hope it's winning the Hugo will lead to it being published in paper for antideluvians like myself who don't do ebooks. :)

It's already included in two recent anthologies which have paper versions - Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2021 and The Best Horror of the Year Volume Thirteen.

Also, nice to see that Luhrs's idiotic rant against GRRM didn't win. Too bad it didn't finish below "No Award" though.

Lots of griping about Hades (which you've been able to play since 2018) being eligible and Disco Elysium (which only came out in 2019 and got a substantial re-release and update in 2020) being not. That's re-legislating complaints from when the awards were announced, of course, but a sign that if the award is going to be made permanent, the rules need to be a bit clearer on why Early Access doesn't count towards eligibility and thorough reworkings of the game do.

Looking at the stats, about as many people voted for the game awards as they do in other side-categories, so that argument seems to have been defeated. And the number of games on the longlist is quite impressive (the longlistees were Final Fantasy VII RemakeGhost of TsushimaScents and SemiosisOri and the Will of the WispsSpider-Man: Miles MoralesAssassin's Creed: ValhallaCyberpunk 2077The Luminous UndergroundKentucky Route ZeroHalf-Life: Alyx and Star Wars: Squadrons). I think platform exclusivity is a huge problem though: Half-Life: Alyx may have done better if more than 1 in 150 gamers could have played it, for example, and Cyberpunk 2077 being unplayable on the systems a majority of people use seriously dented that game's chances.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:39 AM, Lily Valley said:

Yes.  It's the "Lieutenant" "Warden" "Prince what's his face" "Babs" "Lady Pent" stuff I had to write down.  I did manage to catch the counting bit.

Very late reply, but you don't need to bother remembering Babs - fuck him, it's not like Ianthe cares about him either :P

I utterly adore Ht9 as well, such a wild blend of wtf and hilarious. Read through it in no time and have listened to the audiobooks for both a couple of times - the lady performing them is fantastic. Highlight is probably the terrible teens, but her Ianthe drawl is great as well. As is Gideon for that matter. We do bones motherfucker!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hugo voting closes tomorrow so I've filled out the bits of the ballot where I have something to nominate.

For Best Novel I went for:

• Bear Head by Adrian Tchaikovsky

• Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky

• The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik

• The Fall of Babel by Josiah Bancroft

• The Galaxy and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers

For Best Novella:

• What Abigail Did That Summer by Ben Aaronovitch

• Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells

• Knot of Shadows by Lois McMaster Bujold

For Best Series:
  • The Age of Madness by Joe Abercrombie

• The Books of Babel by Josiah Bancroft
  • Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I voted last night. I started reading from the Hugo package late and knew I wasn't going to get through them. Read 3 novels, and 3 novellas. So I categorized those and left the rest blank. I voted in the dramas categories.

The three novels I read were in order of preference 1) Project Hail Mary 2) Light from Uncommon Stars and 3) A Master of Djinn.

For the novellas, I was largely unimpressed - Becky Chambers's A Psalm for the Wild-built was extremely boring. I read Elder Race which was fine but hardly deserving of a Hugo. My preferred choice would be A Spindle Splintered, which initially felt like fan fiction but I came to enjoy it by the end.

Edited by Corvinus85