Today is a Lousy Day

Fragile Bird

Left my laptop on my desk at work. So tomorrow I have to do my 90 minute commute in to get my laptop, then leave 2 hours later to get home doing another 90 minute commute, as I'm taking a half day to take my wife for a scan in the afternoon. Fuuuuuccccckkkkkkk. 

I hope you wife's scan is all just typical.

The commutes for your laptop are complications you really didn't need today -- Partner has gotten something similar which means diverting a big chunk of time from equally important tasks, equally immediate.

I had a long day on Friday.  I was really busy all day because I had to judge a speech contest.  All of the judges stayed late after work to complete our scorecards.  One judge decided to be lazy and give all students a 49 out of 50 during the second round of the competition.  (The first round was a prepared speech.  The second round was an impromptu speech.)  The organizer of the speech contest wanted her to change the scores, but she refused.  As a result, I had to step into a disagreement which should not have been my business and tell the lazy teacher something like, “I’m your supervisor, and I’m telling you to do this right.”  Instead of taking 5 extra minutes to fix the problem, she just sat at her desk, pouted, and sent text messages. 

One of these days I’m going to start a “I Hate My Coworkers” thread.

This is a shit day. Baking gone wrong, walk gone wrong, helping my mother with her mobile setup gone wrong. I’m moody and annoyed and I feel guilt for being moody and annoyed. Bleh. 

K, I should get over myself and reframe this day. Some things went right. My father visited me and gave me a box of macarons, I ordered new curtains, I had a nice drink and I’m weirdly entertained by the notoriously disastrous musical episode of Once Upon a Time. And sister’s getting a vaccine on Tuesday finally. 

Today is a lousy day because I discovered another grey hair on my head. It wasn't the first one, but it was in another spot than the first few. These things are spreading. :eek: I am too young for this shit!

But then again, it is also Friday, which means I don't have to face the commute to work (easily the hardest part of my work, or so it feels right now) for the next two days, which is something I cherish.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:17 PM, RhaenysBee said:

K, I should get over myself and reframe this day. Some things went right. My father visited me and gave me a box of macarons, I ordered new curtains, I had a nice drink and I’m weirdly entertained by the notoriously disastrous musical episode of Once Upon a Time.

There is a musical episode of that? In which season? Maybe I should watch on from where I stopped. :P

I'm packing, which has already annoyed me so much I swear to god I've thrown out half my stuff [but yay, lots of shopping to do I guess] then my movers called and tried to push me two days beyond when I'd originally booked them, which would've fucked severely with the date I needed to be on the island to inspect prepossession work and finalize paperwork for our new house, so, I got ornery without somehow resorting to umpteen f-bombs [there may have been a few] and got a commitment to a one day push instead of two-- but it really crimps my wiggle room.

I suspect they'll try upcharge me on the other end, so that'll be fun [no really, good fucking luck] but I now have one day to travel 14ish hours with kids and a puppy, so sorry Dad, no midway visit with your son and granddaughters whom you haven't seen in nearly a year and half. Maybe not quite a lousy day per se, but I'm seriously fucking pissed off. 

Today just turned into a lousy day at 10 PM because I noticed a thing is missing that was supposed to be in my bag. I just emptied the whole bag and it is not there. Then I looked into every possible (and slightly less possible) spot in my room and I still can't find it.

It is something I am going to need in the next few days. It is something I usually carry in the bag I take to work. It is something that would cause great embarrassment if it were found by a random person at my workplace (in case it fell out of my bag there), or even by a family member at home. It is a period cup. I can only hope very much that it is going to turn up somewhere in my room that I forgot (but I doubt it, I looked everywhere) or I will find it tomorrow in the car. I seriously have no idea how it could have fallen out of my bag at all.

:bang: 

My son is nearly 2 weeks old, so far he has been a dream, but last night he was awake for 5 hours non stop, and had 6 shits in that time.

His big sister had a cows milk allergy which caused her so many problems with similar night time issues for so long (literally waking up crying every hour for at least a year before it was diagnosed) at least we know what to look out for this time. I'm wrecked, I just got up at 0400 in the end with him and took him to the spare room so she could sleep, ill let her lie in until 1100 and then maybe try and get sn hour myself before we go out this afternoon. 

Other than that I'm loving my month off, though the fact it is one week maternity support, and 3 weeks of annual leave is a disgrace. 

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Other than that I'm loving my month off, though the fact it is one week maternity support, and 3 weeks of annual leave is a disgrace. 

It is.  But Imma gonna say you are a good father and a good husband.  How happy your wife must be that she chose you!

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

My son is nearly 2 weeks old, so far he has been a dream, but last night he was awake for 5 hours non stop, and had 6 shits in that 

Congrats on the Baba (and commiseration on the cmpa/ intolerance.

In one of the (few) truly progressive things my co has done, is introduce 8 weeks fully paid paternity leave to all new fathers. It’s great. A friend of mine is looking at his second (in 2 years) in November. 6 yers go, as the mum, I got 18 weeks fully paid (then 10 @230€ a week), and now the dads are getting 8 weeks. It’s truly fab.  

31 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Spending the first of 3 days off with wretched stomach ache

Well, that is a lousy day!  So sorry this is the case.  May you recover soon.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

This is a shit day. No time for details. 

I am sorry to hear that.

Yesterday was a shit day for me. Today started shitty as well, but turned out to be fine after all.

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sorry to hear that.

Yesterday was a shit day for me. Today started shitty as well, but turned out to be fine after all.

Yay for the positive turn. Today is definitely better than yesterday though we have shitty monsoon weather. 

Fuck you Southwest Airlines and Midway airport.  If you're going to delay my flight 3 times at least have the fucking grace to not close the overpriced airport bars early.  I left my hotel 10am vegas time if I get home before 4am eastern thats almost a win at this point.

Eta 4 times

Make that 5

It's all laughs and smiles right now but when the bar closes i expect some Road Warrior type shit to break out.

The weather has been a stretch of gorgeous, purrfect weather days, golden with that slant and clarity of sunshine that is June, and only June. Good things happening with us, around us.  

But ... O Lordessa, am I having a hard time with re-entry.  I don't wanna, even with our nearest and dearest.  I am doing it, but I want away so badly within a half hour or so, which isn't how, say, a birthday party (everybody vaccinated, etc. etc. etc.) operates.

What's wrong with me?

Is it my sharp awareness of how much of the rest of the world is burning, not only from the virus but climate catastrophe, including wildfires and drought right here in the USA?  Is it because the second of two close friends who got diagnosed late with cancer due to covid having eaten all medical resources, is literally dying?  She was moved to hospice last night. Is it because of knowledge that new variants of covid are ever emerging, while more and more supply lines are breaking down, and violence, not just here, but everywhere is off the hook?

The other night someone said, "This is like living in the Weimar Republic," to which another friend responded, "But unlike then, there's no United State to refugee from the coming Holocaust.  There is nowhere to go."

Well, I will go walk in this gorgeous sunshine and make myself feel better.

Archived