Today is a Lousy Day

Fragile Bird

56 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But ... O Lordessa, am I having a hard time with re-entry.  I don't wanna, even with our nearest and dearest.  I am doing it, but I want away so badly within a half hour or so, which isn't how, say, a birthday party (everybody vaccinated, etc. etc. etc.) operates.

What's wrong with me?

Nothing’s wrong with you, just as the “new normal” was an adjustment, going back to the “old normal” is so. At least I know I sympathize. I’m very very very carefully tipping my toe back into “life” and it always feels like a leap of faith from a 15 meter high diving board. The best you can do is be kind to yourself and take it one step at a time. 

Oh for crying out loud… After the morning walkies I wanted to the grocery store. As I was getting my mother’s bicycle out of the front gate, the Chancellor decided that this was an opportune moment to be a rebellious adolescent and slipped out of the gate. This level of betrayal and rebellion truly hurts my heart because he KNOWS he’s only allowed to step out of the gate when he’s on a lead AND specifically invited.  So I ran after him down to the crop fields attempted to discipline him and lead him back by his collar, locked him in his “room” and left for the bloody grocery store. 

Which is closed for renovations. Facepalm. Right, I went to a couple corner shops which have virtually no stock of anything so I didn’t exactly find the hazelnut wafer rolls I was looking for. Or a magazine. Or cereal. So I ended up buying salted peanut because I felt stupid not to buy anything. Fine, I got back, let the Chancellor out and proceeded to finally have a toast with jam and a cup of coffee.

Which I spilled on myself and the back door as I tried to make my way out onto the terrace. Then I thought it’d be a nice idea to iron the football jerseys my father wanted to pick up. 

I even checked if they could be ironed. The label said yes. I ironed it inside out just in case. And there was still a painted part that melted and smudged. :bang: why. Why why why. If you tell me I can iron something and it’s the official thing which should suggest a decent quality, how can it possibly smudge? 

I’m annoyed. 

37° C in a very badly insulated attic flat. I have taken fluid form and am spreading across the floor while the cat has stuffed herself into a corner behind the bookshelf.

7 hours ago, Toth said:

37° C in a very badly insulated attic flat. I have taken fluid form and am spreading across the floor while the cat has stuffed herself into a corner behind the bookshelf.

That's awful. I'm so sorry.

• 1 month later...

I pulled a calf muscle Tuesday night  while I was playing ultimate, and I was playing as well as I've ever played.  Losing 25lbs and gaining strength and additional veteran savvy pays off.  So that sucked.  Thought it was a just a cramp, but still feeling it days later.  Hope it's mended soon. 

• 6 months later...

About six months ago, China said, “We’re changing the tax code. The changes will take effect on March 1, 2022.” My school then got ready for those changes. Two months ago, China said, “Maybe those changes aren’t a good idea. The new effective date is end of 2023.” Today, I was told that my school will start following the new tax code in March anyway. Also, I’m expected to sign a new contract on Monday. I did all the calculations. This early change is going to cause me to pay about 1400 USD more in taxes this year than I’m supposed to.

On 2/26/2022 at 1:29 AM, dog-days said:

It really sucks. (Out of interest - is it Covid plus an ageing population been prompting China to raise taxes?)

I don't know the reasons behind the tax changes.  My best guess is that someone wanted to end some of the foreigner's tax breaks that the citizens couldn't take advantage of, so that everyone living here is treated more equally.

18 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Son is slightly ill, but enough that he literally had me up until 0430, then my daughter woke at 0615. Just as well shift work prepares you for running on empty. Today will be a long day. 

Sorry to hear that.  Hope your son is feeling better.  Hope you survived your long day.

Archived