US Politics: Stamping out Chauvinism

Fragile Bird

3 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Sure, but they usually don't have major political figures the night before in that town talking about things, either. Maxine Waters was totally right, and also was pretty stupid to do that right now

If the courts set a precedent that "major political figures" can't comment on cases before the verdict, then all of cable news is gonna riot.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

If the courts set a precedent that "major political figures" can't comment on cases before the verdict, then all of cable news is gonna riot.

The judge specifically mentioned that it could be grounds for an appeal, so I don't think it's exactly the bizarre situation  that you are implying. 

2 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Sure, but they usually don't have major political figures the night before in that town talking about things, either. Maxine Waters was totally right, and also was pretty stupid to do that right now

Aren't juries sequestered throughout the trial? If so, how could it be argued that her actions played a part in their verdict? 

Also, for the love of God (or whatever), can we just savior a moment of victory for humanity before we get all pessimistic (and turning the guns on each other) again? Like, one day, for example? Sheesh! 

13 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Maybe they'll just take their ball and go home, like they've done in the past.

This is probably the safest bet.

I’m glad my faith in the process proved correct, but don’t expect this outcome to trigger a wave of successful prosecutions against police. This case was a true unicorn. But that said, more than anything I’m just happy for my home. The Twin Cities would have been absolute chaos if he was acquitted.

Maybe when something good happens, it's OK to be happy for a while and we don't need to immediately predict how it will inevitably turn to ashes in our mouth.

6 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Aren't juries sequestered throughout the trial? If so, how could it be argued that her actions played a part in their verdict?

No. In most cases (including this one) they are sequestered only while deliberating on the verdict. 

Also, for the love of God (or whatever), can we just savior a moment of victory for humanity before we get all pessimistic (and turning the guns on each other) again? Like, one day, for example? Sheesh! 

Sorry, you want the 'today is a good day' thread for that kind of hippie bullshit

4 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

The judge specifically mentioned that it could be grounds for an appeal, so I don't think it's exactly the bizarre situation  that you are implying. 

It would be a huge reach to claim that a congresswoman from California could hold much influence over the Minnesota justice system. 

Just now, maarsen said:

It would be a huge reach to claim that a congress woman from California hold much influence over ar Minnesota justice system. 

It would - if that was all she did. But instead what she did was show up in the city, speak to a bunch of protesters in the city that the jurists live in or near, and said things that were construed by some as incitement of violence if the jury did not reach a guilty plea. 

The obvious thing that some people may say is that this was jury tampering - this is what the defense said, in fact. 

8 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

The judge whined about "the rule of law" as judges often due.  Substantively, he denied the motion as meritless.

6 minutes ago, maarsen said:

It would be a huge reach to claim that a congresswoman from California could hold much influence over the Minnesota justice system. 

Yeah, that's what the judge said:

"I wish that elected officials would stop talking about the case," Cahill said. "Their failure to do so is abhorrent, but I don't think it's prejudiced the jury."

"A congresswoman's opinion doesn't really matter a whole lot," he added.

6 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

No. In most cases (including this one) they are sequestered only while deliberating on the verdict. 

That is messed up. Admittedly I never practiced criminal law, but my recollection (from law school and elsewhere) is that in Canada jurors are sequestered throughout the trial, precisely to avoid undue influence!

Sorry, you want the 'today is a good day' thread for that kind of hippie bullshit

I genuinely feel sorry for you. This was the best possible outcome we could hope for today, but instead of at least enjoying the moment, you already feel the need to rain on everyone’s (yours included) parade. 

Yes, there will undoubtedly be an appeal. That was probably going to be the case regardless of what Maxine Waters or anyone else said or did. An appeal may succeed... or it might fail. And even if it succeeds, it presumably would simply result in a re-trial (again, at least that’s how it would work in Canada - since a judge shouldn’t be able to singularly overturn a judgment by one’s peers). 

Bottomline: the best that this dipshit cop can hope for is to be cleared of these charges many years down the road. That should be a warning for his ilk to show at least a modicum of restraint. That alone makes this a good/great day!

9 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

That is messed up. Admittedly I never practiced criminal law, but my recollection (from law school and elsewhere) is that in Canada jurors are sequestered throughout the trial, precisely to avoid undue influence!

I genuinely feel sorry for you. This was the best possible outcome we could hope for today, but instead of at least enjoying the moment, you already feel the need to rain on everyone’s (yours included) parade. 

Yes, there will undoubtedly be an appeal. That was probably going to be the case regardless of what Maxine Waters or anyone else said or did. An appeal may succeed... or it might fail. And even if it succeeds, it presumably would simply result in a re-trial (again, at least that’s how it would work in Canada - since a judge shouldn’t be able to singularly overturn a judgment by one’s peers). 

Bottomline: the best that this dipshit cop can hope for is to be cleared of these charges many years down the road. That should be a warning for his ilk to show at least a modicum of restraint. That alone makes this a good/great day!

The inevitable appeal doesn’t reduce the importance of today’s verdict.

Interesting that Republicans aren't trying to culture war this just yet...

I assume the Fox hosts tonight will at least try to trial ballon outrage though.

35 minutes ago, mormont said:

Maybe when something good happens, it's OK to be happy for a while and we don't need to immediately predict how it will inevitably turn to ashes in our mouth.

Seconded. Whatever happens next can be dealt with down the road if and when something occurs. For now we should be thankful for the outcome that occurred because if Chauvin got off it would feel even more impossible to hold the police accountable for their widespread shitty behavior.

Smoke if you got 'em on this day feels even more fitting, especially if you know anything about Uptown. 

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I assume the Fox hosts tonight will at least try to trial ballon outrage though.

Even Rush Limbaugh, of all people, said he was sickened by the Floyd video. Some people were still trying to justify the actions of the officer based on prior...whatever, but I think the response of Limbaugh to me signaled there wouldnt be as much conservative pushback as normal.

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

One assumes that they were caught off guard that the system worked against them for once...

And by that I mean it queued properly...

Archived