US Politics: Stamping out Chauvinism

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, Week said:

Roll up, fire 5 shots into a black kid, declare Blue Lives Matter in the face of the neighborhood. Policing by the book.

https://www.rawstory.com/amp/cops-chant-blue-lives-matter-after-shooting-teen-2652666461?__twitter_impression=true

We desperately need to reexamine our expectation of policing and police if this is an example of a justified killing and good outcome. Jesus Christ. Police killed a kid. We're so numb to it that it seems ok. It is not.

They killed a kid attempting to stab another kid. If you didn't see a world of difference between that and something like the murder of George Floyd or Tamir Rice, I don't know what to tell you.

1 minute ago, Week said:

Five shots to the chest. 

And?

If a shooting is justified, then shooting at center mass is exactly what is supposed to happen. Aiming for a limb has a much higher chance of missing entirely, and especially of hitting an innocent bystander. And a single shot is unlikely to stop momentum fast enough.

Is it illegal for US police to render first aid? That is the one thing I always think when I see videos of US police shooting people. Here only a doctor has the right to declare someone dead and you have to render first aid until professionals show up(it is actualyl a crime here to not render first aid).

5 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Is it illegal for US police to render first aid? That is the one thing I always think when I see videos of US police shooting people. Here only a doctor has the right to declare someone dead and you have to render first aid until professionals show up(it is actualyl a crime here to not render first aid).

No. Why do you ask?

Police are supposed to administer certain types of first aid (basically anything short of what only EMTs or higher credential medical first responder are licensed to do). And they, along with other non-medical first responders like firefighters, have multiple layers of liability protection in most states. So they can't face criminal, civil, or professional sanctions if they screw up administering a naloxone shot for an overdose for instance (as long as there no evidence they were being deliberately irresponsible or negligent). 

In this case, officers do appear to have attempted to give CPR after the shooting.

5 minutes ago, Week said:

Unconscionable. I'm done replying. Absolutely disgusting.

Welcome to your side guys - hope you enjoy the flavor of boots:

https://twitter.com/johniadarola/status/1384692706945867776

You haven’t given a rational argument.

She was 16. Doesn’t alter the fact she was attacking someone with a a knife.

She was shot multiple times...whilst she attacking someone with a knife.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

No. Why do you ask?

Police are supposed to administer certain types of first aid (basically anything short of what only EMTs or higher credential medical first responder are licensed to do). And they, along with other non-medical first responders like firefighters, have multiple layers of liability protection in most states. So they can't face criminal, civil, or professional sanctions if they screw up administering a naloxone shot for an overdose for instance (as long as there no evidence they were being deliberately irresponsible or negligent). 

In this case, officers do appear to have attempted to give CPR after the shooting.

I never see them doing in shooting videos it but I guess the videos are usually too short. 

The argument that it was necessary to shoot and kill a teenaged girl with a knife would hold more currency if I hadn't seen multiple videos of white motorists drawing a gun on cops or driving off from a traffic stop and keeping their lives.

The calculation about necessary force in any situation seems to have a multiplier when the subject is non-white.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

The argument that it was necessary to shoot and kill a teenaged girl with a knife would hold more currency if I hadn't seen multiple videos of white motorists drawing a gun on cops or driving off from a traffic stop and keeping their lives.

The calculation about necessary force in any situation seems to have a multiplier when the subject is non-white.

Or white dudes being taken alive after killing sprees. 

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

The argument that it was necessary to shoot and kill a teenaged girl with a knife

It wasn’t just with a knife. The way you’re choosing to phrase things gives off the idea Bryant was just standing holding one when a cop shot with no attempt at deescalation. She was  actively attacking someone else with said knife. With how fast things have played out the woman or girl Bryant was attacking could have been killed.

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It wasn’t just with a knife. The way you’re choosing to phrase things gives off the idea Bryant was just standing holding one when a cop shot with no attempt at deescalation. She was  actively attacking someone else with said knife. With how fast things have played out the woman or girl Bryant was attacking could have been killed.

I wish the cops watching Kyle Rittenhouse play soldier had demonstrated similar concern for the lives of bystanders. Fuck, it's been revealed that multiple cops have donated to Rittenhouse's defense.

Again, my point is that there are different scales of response for different colors of skin.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Way to be a grammar Nazi on Hitler's birthday. :P

Hey, if you want to be that way I have to point out that the mistake I was correcting had nothing to do with grammar. It was either a simple spelling mistake or a word choice error, neither of which are grammatical problems.  :)

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I wish the cops watching Kyle Rittenhouse play soldier had demonstrated similar concern for the lives of bystanders. Fuck, it's been revealed that multiple cops have donated to Rittenhouse's defense.

Again, my point is that there are different scales of response for different colors of skin.

Pretty sure like yesterday I saw a video of a guy swinging an axe at cops without them pulling out their guns and shooting him.

13 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm not defending all police, they fuck up all too often. And way too many of them are rabid MAGAs, which presents additional problems.

But that doesn't mean they fuck up 100% of the time. And just because they often don't shoot Whites even when it would be justified that doesn't mean that when they do shoot POCs its never justified. From my perspective, this time it seems justified.

Also, if you want to dig into the data, since 2015 in the US there have been 2,885 Whites killed by police, compared to 1,499 African Americans and 1,052 Hispanics. Which, because of population size differences, means African Americans are being killed at a rate more than double that of Whites, and Hispanics at a rate nearly double Whites; there's absolutely a huge problem there. But it does show that Whites do get killed too, it's not like they're immune.

Data from: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/

56 minutes ago, Week said:

Roll up, fire 5 shots into a black kid, declare Blue Lives Matter in the face of the neighborhood. Policing by the book.

https://www.rawstory.com/amp/cops-chant-blue-lives-matter-after-shooting-teen-2652666461?__twitter_impression=true

We desperately need to reexamine our expectation of policing and police if this is an example of a justified killing and good outcome. Jesus Christ. Police killed a kid. We're so numb to it that it seems ok. It is not.

The litany of armed, white mass murderers that have been arrested without harm speaks volumes. 

What armed White mass murderers have been arrested without harm when they were actively using their weapon to attack someone else? If you have examples of that, please tell me about them. 

7 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Pretty sure like yesterday I saw a video of a guy swinging an axe at cops without them pulling out their guns and shooting him.

And there is a big difference in my opinion between someone threatening a police officer in such a way and someone threatening a civilian who is physically close to them in such a way. We pay the police to deal with being in danger, but we also pay them to protect other people who are being threatened. What would people be saying today if the girl with the knife had managed to kill or seriously injure the person she was attacking while the police officer stood by? I do think the police should be quicker to use force when a civilian's life is in danger than when just the lives of police officers are. 

13 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Hey, if you want to be that way I have to point out that the mistake I was correcting had nothing to do with grammar. It was either a simple spelling mistake or a word choice error, neither of which are grammatical problems.  :)

English isn't my native language (although it has over time become something close to it, due to constant use), so I was under the impression that it was spelled that way. I appreciate the correction, though, because it's always good to learn correct spelling. :)

Archived