US Politics: Stamping out Chauvinism

Fragile Bird

Just now, Week said:

So the people in that neighborhood must be thrilled and thankful for the life "saved", right? Any evidence of that? Or are they furious that someone asked for help and the police left with a body bag? 

I have no idea how everyone in the neighborhood feels about what happened. I also have no idea how they would have felt had the cops left with a stabbing victim in a body bag and a teenage girl in handcuffs.

25 minutes ago, Week said:

You're assuming that 1) She was going to stab her 2) the knife and her strength were sufficient to inflict grevious harm 3) the police were doing a good job up until that point where a domestic incident escalated to their killing of a kid. 

What recently gives you any confidence in the police? Confidence in police treatment of Black people?

Missing the forest from the trees and really callously, "the shooting was justified" statements when a kid is dead. Have some humanity please. Her life had value whether you think she deserved to be killed by agents of the state or not.

1) Yes.  Being stabbed is nothing to take lightly or laugh off.

2) Little or none.  Regardless, seeing someone who seems to be about to stab someone else is, prima facia, cause for the use of force.  More facts may come out that change this assessment but as it stands this appears legitimate.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How many times can these idiots kick the can down the road?  Seriously.

Religion never fails a person, only a person can fail a religion.

1 hour ago, Trishkin said:

Listen, they’re already making excuses for why it might seem like Hillary Clinton was not executed on live TV on April 26. It of course has to do with Big Media burying the story. Though Trump might bypass them all by broadcasting the execution on the Emergency Broadcast System. Also, if you think Hillary hasn’t been executed because you see her on TV after April 26, the QAnoners have very helpfully listed all the minor ways in which she differs from her official body double (one of which apparently is that Clinton has prominent buck teeth while her body double does not).

They're really asking for it if they did that. Someone as scheming as Clinton would naturally come back as undead harder to kill than ever.

Just now, Martell Spy said:

They're really asking for it if they did that. Someone as scheming as Clinton would naturally come back as undead harder to kill than ever.

She’s been drinking freshly harvested adrenochrome for decades, and these dummies really think they can take her out with a simple hanging? Preposterous!

7 minutes ago, Trishkin said:

I have no idea how everyone in the neighborhood feels about what happened. I also have no idea how they would have felt had the cops left with a stabbing victim in a body bag and a teenage girl in handcuffs.

Pretty unlikely versus a certainty. Deathly force by the state.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/21/us/columbus-police-shooting-bryant.html?action=click&module=In Other News&pgtype=Homepage

Still, Ms. Bryant’s family and activists across Columbus questioned why the officer shot Ms. Bryant.

“I don’t know why he shot her,” Ms. Moore, Ms. Bryant’s foster parent, said. “I don’t know why he didn’t Tase her, why they didn’t try to break it up.”

She added, “At the end of the day, it wasn’t worth all this.”

Tensions over police shootings of Black people were already raw around Columbus. In early December, Casey Goodson Jr., 23, was shot to death at the entrance of his home by a Franklin County sheriff’s deputy who had been searching for someone else. Two weeks later, Andre Hill was shot by a Columbus police officer who was later charged with felony murder.

A few comments. /Shrug 

Maybe it was the right thing for our tax dollars to go toward murdering another person. I'm not as comfortable with it than the rest of the board apparently. 

25 minutes ago, Week said:

So the people in that neighborhood must be thrilled and thankful for the life "saved", right? Any evidence of that? Or are they furious that someone asked for help and the police left with a body bag? 

Well here's one neighbor:

18 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

If the media has the power to cover up Clinton’s “execution” how the hell does the State have the power to execute Clinton but not to have the execution publicized?

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If the media has the power to cover up Clinton’s “execution” how the hell does the State have the power to execute Clinton but not to have the execution publicized?

Please stop trying to make sense of this.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well here's one neighbor:

If it wasn't clear from the body cam, this footage makes it clear that the officer even attempts to grab hold of the victim after she charges the first girl, despite her knife. And then he doesn't fire because he's concerned the girl on the ground might get up and be in the line of sight.

It's a horrible, tragic situation, but again, that he fired at her is justified to me. Four shots was excessive, but that's the stupid ass training.

42 minutes ago, Trishkin said:

Also, pretty sure the girl/woman under the risk of being stabbed is relieved she wasn’t in said body bag.

59 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Also- I know a (white, obviously) man who at 16, stabbed his stepfather 12 times and the police officer who tried to pull him off once. He’s alive and free today. That’s how these situations should go.

I’m guessing the step-father wouldn’t have minded if the officer shot a teenager currently stabbing him.

Like the scenario you’ve just laid out should be looked as justifying deadly force.

1 minute ago, Week said:

Maybe it was the right thing for our tax dollars to go toward murdering another person. I'm not as comfortable with it than the rest of the board apparently. 

For what it's worth, you're not alone.

This was a difficult situation that could absolutely be dealt with without the recourse to deadly force, providing police officers had the gear and training to do so. It's almost a textbook example of why law enforcement is so problematic in the US: in this case, the use of force by the officer was legitimate, but that is not the same as it being justified.
In an ideal world, the police is almost never justified in using deadly force, and killing someone, regardless of what they've done, is a failure. What I get from this case and these images is that US cops will easily be just as dangerous as the criminals they're supposed to protect from - which, given all the recent cases, we already knew.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:43 AM, Fez said:

But that doesn't mean they fuck up 100% of the time. And just because they often don't shoot Whites even when it would be justified that doesn't mean that when they do shoot POCs its never justified. From my perspective, this time it seems justified.

It should be noted not every police killing of a white person whose killed by police is justified. 

This is the problem with comparing individual high profile media cases.
For example Tony Tampa died died from a similar amount police brutality as Floyd.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/02/dallas-police-officers-video-bodycam-tony-timpa

Racist Trends do exist in terms of the frequency of police abuse can’t safely be squared away by “black people commit more crime”

Trends police being more likely to plant evidence on black people than white people.

That doesn’t mean no police has ever planted evidence on white people.

Just that they’re more significantly likely to do it against black people.

1 minute ago, Rippounet said:

in this case, the use of force by the officer was legitimate, but that is not the same as it being justified.

If it is not justified in the preservation of the life of someone being attacked with a deadly weapon, then what is the scenario where it is in fact justified? 

6 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Appreciate you, @Rippounet. Also for putting this in far more intelligent and less inflammatory terms than I.

6 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

This was a difficult situation that could absolutely be dealt with without the recourse to deadly force, providing police officers had the gear and training to do so. It's almost a textbook example of why law enforcement is so problematic in the US: in this case, the use of force by the officer was legitimate, but that is not the same as it being justified.
In an ideal world, the police is almost never justified in using deadly force, and killing someone, regardless of what they've done, is a failure. What I get from this case and these images is that US cops will easily be just as dangerous as the criminals they're supposed to protect from - which, given all the recent cases, we already knew.

++!

10 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

This was a difficult situation that could absolutely be dealt with without the recourse to deadly force, providing police officers had the gear and training to do so. It's almost a textbook example of why law enforcement is so problematic in the US: in this case, the use of force by the officer was legitimate, but that is not the same as it being justified.
In an ideal world, the police is almost never justified in using deadly force, and killing someone, regardless of what they've done, is a failure. What I get from this case and these images is that US cops will easily be just as dangerous as the criminals they're supposed to protect from - which, given all the recent cases, we already knew.

What gear? What training?

Seriously, I'd like to know. And don't give me something like Crisis Intervention Training (CIT) programs; those are not intended when an act of violence is already in progress.

1 hour ago, Week said:

Why the quotation marks to communicate sarcasm? A person can be easily killed by getting stabbed with a knife.

38 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It should be noted not every police killing of a white person whose killed by police is justified. 

This is the problem with comparing individual high profile media cases.
For example Tony Tampa died died from a similar amount police brutality as Floyd.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/02/dallas-police-officers-video-bodycam-tony-timpa

Racist Trends do exist in terms of the frequency of police abuse can’t safely be squared away by “black people commit more crime”

Trends police being more likely to plant evidence on black people than white people.

That doesn’t mean no police has ever planted evidence on white people.

Just that they’re more significantly likely to do it against black people.

I think white people are starting to realize they're in danger too. Sometimes cops shoot you if you call them for help as happened to Justine Damond. I'd say police brutality is out of control across the board--the cops in my town attacked and beat my father when he had early onset alzheimer's because he "seemed threatening and was wearing a hoodie" which they put in their report. And is illegal, so helped with the settlement. The next town over, an elderly woman with dementia who may have been lost was beaten and arrested (on video). Even when they're not killing us, all kinds of unnoticed abuses are happening. 

Archived