US Politics: Stamping out Chauvinism

Fragile Bird

13 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

There needs to be some sort of framework to underpin any such effort, the European Union is perhaps one. Everything else is based on some loose patchwork of mutual treaties etc focusing more on national security than anything else.

Do you mind unpacking your point here a bit?  I only see an indirect link between national security and national tax policy, but I may not be following your point.  Let's say I am Global Multinational Pharma Corp. (I'm picking on pharma because they have both a LOT of IP and they actually make things.  I'll get to Global Multinational Digital Corp.).

Let's say I am incorporated in Ireland.  I hold my IP through Irish and for the sake of argument Swiss subsidiaries, taking advantage of local "patent box" regimes and local tax holidays.  I manufacture in Italy, Ireland, Switzerland, the US and Puerto Rico (which is a separate taxing jurisdiction), and somewhere in APAC.  I have set up a "Swiss principal" structure, where I have cut a deal with a Cantonment to have like a 5% rate on profits attributable to Switzerland in return for constructing a manufacturing facility in the Cantonment and employing X people over Y years.  The deal will expire Z years out, and then full Swiss federal and local tax will apply.  The largest portion of my revenue is generated in North America (meaning the US).  However, the US is set up as a "limited risk distributor."  Switzerland buys product from the other manufacturing subs for a set markup (Cost plus - contract manufacturing rate), and then on-sells the product to the US for a set rate, and the US then sells to end-users in hospitals etc..  The US also licenses the rights to the IP from the Swiss entity for a set license rate (which is deductible in the US, subject to BEAT, so I'm considering moving ONLY my US IP...).  This is duplicated in every country across the world.  The view is that the Swiss entity is actually the "entrepreneur" in the system taking most of the risk and through the licensing arrangements (mainly) you are locating the business profits in Switzerland.  This is notwithstanding the fact that most of the IP development is happening (through intercompany contracts) in facilities in the UK, Poland and the US, and my CEO actually sits in the US most of the time.  Thus, though the US, Italy, Ireland, Switzerland, Poland and the UK are all getting a bite at the return of the business, when you sort through it, a lot of the residual profit is being taxed at the 5% Swiss rate. By the time that the Swiss deal has run out, the patents on the IP that fueled the expansion are close to expiration, and either a new deal can be cut with new IP or future profits can be moved somewhere more hospitable. (This is btw wholly fictional, and doesn't entirely hang together, but directionally what happens.).  The likes of Switzerland are incentivized to keep doing this (though recent reforms have made it harder to get the crazy rates that used to happen) because they can attract jobs and talent to Switzerland.  Yellen wants to shut that down.

Why hasn't Rudy Giuliani been disbarred yet?

And when will this horrible family finally get dragged into court and be given the chance to whip out their pocket pardons?

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/04/in-sworn-testimony-in-inauguration-scandal-case-donald-trump-jr-made-apparently-false-statements/

In Sworn Testimony in Inauguration Scandal Case, Donald Trump Jr. Made Apparently False Statements

During his deposition, Trump Jr. was asked about Winston Wolkoff: “Do you know her?” He replied, “I know of her. I think I’ve met her, but I don’t know her. If she was in this room I’m not sure I would recognize her.” He added, “I had no involvement with her.”

Let’s go to a videotape obtained by Mother Jones...

Trump CFO Weisselberg In 2015: I leave ‘Legal Side’ Of Money Flow To Others

22 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Do you mind unpacking your point here a bit?  I only see an indirect link between national security and national tax policy, but I may not be following your point.  Let's say I am Global Multinational Pharma Corp. (I'm picking on pharma because they have both a LOT of IP and they actually make things.  I'll get to Global Multinational Digital Corp.).

Oh, there is no grand point there, but the comment was related to globalism and how to get globalized taxation, workers rights etc.

I was explicitly thinking of NATO as a pan-continental organization that the US is a part of and how there wasnt an economic counterpoint to that. There needs to be some driver apart from geographic proximity and some nebulous concept of cultural similarity for nations to band together to unite towards some common goal that addresses workers rights and tax burdens.

As to your post I need some time to understand it ... heh.

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Wow, Biden has gone totally insane. First, he plans to limit us to 1 hamburger per month. (It isn't clear if you will be allowed to eat anything else in this month) He is also going to force us to drink plant-based beers!

Oh shit, this is a federal thing? I thought it was only us commies in California that were going to be issued red meat passports.

And for some good news, now that we have a functioning government again, it is also encouraging to see Dr. Biden come to the Navajo Nation.

"It's not known why Biden chose to visit Hunters Point in particular, but the trip to a school funded by the federal Bureau of Indian Education may signal a return to priority status for the agency.

The BIE, which oversees more than 180 schools and dormitories nationwide, last received sustained White House attention during the Obama administration, which promised to create new educational opportunities for Native students and launched a high-profile reform effort aimed at shifting power over BIE-funded schools into tribal hands."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona-education/2021/04/23/jill-biden-visits-navajo-school-hunters-point-meets-teachers-and-students/7326901002/?fbclid=IwAR2MC5B8vkOnvIdqREl2VrJQ4uye7mvkqUzfROgMxZF3yy-nn4QeZDofs7U

"All four of President Trump's budget proposals included drastic budget cuts for the BIE, which advocates say has been long underfunded. Congress opposed the cuts, and the BIE's budget has steadily increased anyway.

President Joe Biden has made big promises to Indian Country and its students. As a candidate he promised to ensure access to child care and preschool, including at BIE schools, and vowed to increase funding for education programs for low-income students and students with disabilities, which by default would send more money to BIE schools. Biden also promised to help schools recruit and retain a diverse teaching staff, partly by providing better teacher housing for remote tribal schools like Hunters Point."

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Those missing Californians have all descended upon us, either here in Arizona or over in Austin.

Which begs the question...is it an absolute bad thing the shift in those seats to traditionally red states? If it's more "liberal elites" moving into Texas and Florida...?  

23 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Which begs the question...is it an absolute bad thing the shift in those seats to traditionally red states? If it's more "liberal elites" moving into Texas and Florida...?  

One has to look at exactly who is moving where in addition to the ability of Republicans in the states that are gaining to gerrymander new districts.

I think one should notice that West Virginia is actually a state that lost population. Back in the 20th century there were tens of thousands of West Virginians who moved to Ohio and Michigan to work in auto plants and other factories. The 21st century heavy outmigration from West Virginia now seems to be going south, with a very big contingent to North Carolina. I actually wonder if part of the reason North Carolina has not moved to "Blue" as quickly as Georgia, which has surprised many, is because more of NC's new residents are from places like West Virginia and Ohio and so are not "liberal elites" at all but less educated Whites.

22 minutes ago, Ormond said:

One has to look at exactly who is moving where in addition to the ability of Republicans in the states that are gaining to gerrymander new districts.

Well, at least in Arizona that is nullified by their independent redistricting commission.

9 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

With all this discussion of a non-existent ban or heavy restriction on meat I do feel compelled to point out that it would be a very good thing if we significantly reduced our meat consumption. 

Switching to chicken, at least, would be about a 50% reduction in carbon footprint, IIRC. Though industrial chicken farming does have it's own separate issues as well.

Biden is delivering like LBJ, winning even the ever critical AOC's praise-

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/04/24/aoc-says-biden-administration-has-exceeded-progressive-expectations/7366881002/

One thing that I will say is that I do think that the Biden administration and President Biden have exceeded expectations that progressives had,” Ocasio-Cortez said during a virtual town hall. “I’ll be frank, I think a lot of us expected a lot more conservative administration.”

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m a bit surprised SC didn’t gain.  We’ve had lots of emigration to our State.

South Carolina was extremely far from getting a seat. The House would need to have at least 487 seats before SC would get another one: https://www.electiondataservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Apportionment2020_CB2020PopApptCounts_wLegCtrl.pdf

The big losers were NY, OH, TX, FL, and AZ. They were the five closest to getting another seat, or losing one less.

1 hour ago, Week said:

Switching to chicken, at least, would be about a 50% reduction in carbon footprint, IIRC. Though industrial chicken farming does have it's own separate issues as well.

It's depressing thinking about what could be achieved with some partial sacrifices given it's never going to happen on the scale needed. I always think back to the rationing system implemented during WW2 and wonder how people today would react to such measures (prediction: full blown toddler freak out). Frankly we need to do something modestly akin to it, but exactly zero Republicans would back it because freedumb. 

31 minutes ago, Fez said:

South Carolina was extremely far from getting a seat. The House would need to have at least 487 seats before SC would get another one: https://www.electiondataservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Apportionment2020_CB2020PopApptCounts_wLegCtrl.pdf

The big losers were NY, OH, TX, FL, and AZ. They were the five closest to getting another seat, or losing one less.

Again, interesting.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's depressing thinking about what could be achieved with some partial sacrifices given it's never going to happen on the scale needed. I always think back to the rationing system implemented during WW2 and wonder how people today would react to such measures (prediction: full blown toddler freak out). Frankly we need to do something modestly akin to it, but exactly zero Republicans would back it because freedumb. 

The nice thing about this one is that every individual has the power to make choices that help, if only a little. 

Archived